collapse

Author Topic: Wet tile saws?  (Read 16711 times)

aliveandkicking

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Wet tile saws?
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:33:01 PM »
I have been talking about purchasing a trim saw for far longer than I can remember but never seem to get around to actually buying one, and as I am only a hobbist gem faceter/cabber I don't wish to go crazy and invest in anything over the top.

With that in mind I was talking to someone at my local gem club a few days ago who suggested that I might like to consider buying one of the 450w motor Ryobi wet tile cutting saws from Bunnings, priced $129.00 as they have a 5/8" arbor so I could change the 6" blade over for a thinner diamond blade as used in the more expensive gemstone trim saws.

I have looked at these saws and can see no good reason why the idea wouldn't work out fine, but not being offay enough with this sort of thing I'm somewhat hesitant.

Has anyone here any idea as to how I might go if I were to do this please?

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
Re: Wet tile saws?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »

Biggest issue many of the Tile saws have is a very wide gap around the Blade,this extra clearance can be a bit dangerous when doing fine Trimming work. Most are 7" also not 6".
 We have had a Taiwan company modify a saw to reduce this gap issue,sell hundreds of them and they work great.
 We retail those for $140 which with your ALF discount on an order under $500 will cost you $133,without the Lapidary blade.
http://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_147&products_id=2201
 We also offer the machine with a Quality Auscut Electroplated Blade 7" x 0.032" for $175,less discount cost $157.50
 If you make up an order over $500 total you get 10% off :D

Cheers Andrew 

aliveandkicking

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »
So that'd work out at $133 for the saw, plus the blade, and plus the freight costs, is that right?

So what kind of total would we be talking about here altogether if we're talking about a reasonable type of blade capable of cutting anything up to a ruby Andrew?

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
As Andrew mentioned, most of these sized tile saws are 7" saws.  You can usually fit a 6" blade on them easily if shaft diameter allows but you just lose a little bit of cutting depth.  If it actually IS rated as a 6" saw, then you do get a bit more choice in blade type without additional loss of cutting depth but that would be a bit unusual.

When fitted with a 7" blade, many have a better (ie larger) cutting depth than the dedicated lapidary 6" saws so that is a big plus.  One exception being the Hi-Tech saw which has an excellent cutting depth for a 6" saw but is priced a lot higher due to other features.

Look out for the blade slot being too wide in some models of tile saw - if you are trimming small stuff, you need to be careful not to let any stone offcuts get jammed in the gap as that can damage the blade and in serious cases, cause an accident for the operator.  Good idea to wear safety goggles or glasses when doing any kind of cutting for this reason regardless of what type of saw you are using.  But a thinner saw slot does help to prevent this situation.

Otherwise, these kinds of saws are good for the job and are usually very reliable.  Although the motor is integral and not really a replaceable or serviceable part, if you buy a good quality unit, they are excellent little workhorses.  One thing to note - of all the tile saws we have sold (4" and 7") and it is hundreds by now - we have not had one single warranty issue except for I think two units that got dropped (or run over) by the postie and arrived with damage in transit - these were replaced but otherwise, an easy one for us to recommend.

The $175 package with the electroplated blade included is very suitable for cutting precious stones - blade is 0.032" or 0.025" thick at your preference.  With ALF discount, this one is $157.50 and postage is $15 if you are in NSW (a bit more elsewhere).  If you want a different blade, can opt for slightly thicker continuous rim blades - these blades are stronger and will last longer but a bit more wastage in these for precious stone.

Hope this helps/

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

ElectricBlue

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »
Sorry for being so late coming in on this subject, I only just noticed it, but better late than never in case it helps someone regarding the Ryobi 450W wet saw.

I have one of them that I bought for tile cutting originally but found the gap width where the blade operates is way too wide at 25mm to use for stone cutting.
However, I overcame this by cutting a far narrower slit through a piece of thin signwriter's sheet metal which I then placed over the top of the original table.
The result was that I ended up with the perfect trim saw dirt cheap.
The only addition I needed to purchase was a far thinner diamond blade so as to reduce wastage as the blade that comes with the machine is 2.2mm thick.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Hunter V

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »
OK so now i'm confused, is a 6" or 7" blade standard on the majority of trim saws?

And depending on the answer to question 1 what is then the standard or "common" arbor (I'm assuming the center hole in the blade)?

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 05:39:14 PM »
7" would be more common in tile saws - I have not seen many 6" saws but must be available.  Good idea to check cutting depth - want to try and get as much as you can.  If a 6" saw is just a smaller blade on a 7" saw body, then you may be losing more cutting depth than is necessary.

The other common size is 4" which is fine if you are usually only working with smaller material. Check depth here - I have not seen any where you can fit a 5" blade but worth checking if you can.

Often they will have 1" arbor which does make it a bit difficult to use thinner lapidary blades which tend to run more at 5/8" arbor (or centre hole).

Some models are available with smaller shafts and this makes life a lot easier for those wanting to use them for cutting stone.

cheers
Leah

ElectricBlue

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 11:37:12 PM »
The Ryobi wet saw is a 7" - 180mm OD - 5/8"-16mm arbor.

The blades I use in mine are .050" thick continious rim when using it as a trim saw, which I buy in from the USA in packs of 10 at a time that can cut just about anything I ever need them to and last reasonably well.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:28:42 AM by ElectricBlue »
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Mangstone

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:09:52 AM »
I am new to the field and I live on an island in the Cook Islands that has lots of natural rock formations which we collect, cut and grind to produce teardrop pendants and earrings to generate income.  At present, we are using an Ozito Tile cutter machine sounds similar to the one you are talking about, and we changed the blade to a diamond tip blade.  We received a visit from an Australian gemologist and she advised that our blades are probably too thick hence shattering our stones in the process.  We have cut so many stones but only 20% make it to a grade for sale, the rest crack or crumble during polishing processes.  We have to work our stones very slowly and carefully but lesson learned I guess.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 08:05:49 AM »
We have received your email but first might be better to check if a more suitable blade can fit on your existing saw.  What size diameter blade and what size centre hole?

cheers
Leah

1971sharyn

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:47:53 AM »
Hi Leah/Andrew, have just ordered the 7/6" trim saw from you.  Could you tell me the best coolant to use for it.  I currently use a combination of diesel/kero in my slab saw.  Is this okay for the trim saw or do I use something else.
Cheers
Sharyn

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 07:52:44 AM »
OK to use just water in this one.  You can optionally add a coolant concentrate which adds a bit of rust inhibition to the water and makes the diamond tools work a little better but this is optional.

Examples are Covington Koolerant #1, Tool Cool, Inland Diamond Coolant, KoolAnt or the like - some of the above are available from us - all good lapidary dealers will have at least one in their range.

Good idea to empty out the water when you are not using the saw.

cheers
Leah

1971sharyn

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 07:58:21 AM »
OK to use just water in this one.  You can optionally add a coolant concentrate which adds a bit of rust inhibition to the water and makes the diamond tools work a little better but this is optional.

Examples are Covington Koolerant #1, Tool Cool, Inland Diamond Coolant, KoolAnt or the like - some of the above are available from us - all good lapidary dealers will have at least one in their range.

Good idea to empty out the water when you are not using the saw.

cheers
Leah

Thanks mate, can't wait to cut open some of these thunder eggs that have been sitting around in the shed for the past 12mths :D

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker