collapse

Author Topic: Polishes  (Read 14014 times)

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gems are like Rainbows...becoming rarer!!!
Polishes
« on: January 28, 2009, 10:39:14 PM »
I thought I would start a topic on what polishes we use with different stones, that way when we get to polish stage and haven't cut a certain stone, we can come here to get a reference of the sucessful polish used.

For example, Iolite I polished using Alumina Oxide, but it didn't go to well, and I have since found out (thanks Merryn and Gearloose) That Cerium works better..

What is was thinking was like:

Sapphire - Diamond
Topaz - AO
Quartz - CeO
Etc.
I know that those examples I have polished also using Diamond. But I think it would be great to have a reference like this for both faceted and Cabochoned Stones.

Take Care
Deb  ;D
Ron and I have an Appointment to do some Laps ;) ;D

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Re: Polishes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:46:28 AM »
I think that would be a great idea.

We got a good book in our last order that had a lot of this kind of info - it sold but have just re-ordered it.  BUT, nothing makes up for actual experience.

I know when people enquire about faceting machines, it can be very confusing to them to work out what laps/polish are needed as a lot of it depends on what they plan to be cutting.

There is definitely not just one correct way to do it - there are lots of options, many of which work equally well.  But I think it would help out a lot if experienced faceters can contribute advice on what they have found works on different materials.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »
Thanks Leah,

I think it would be helpful and also can post if having problems getting a certain stone to polish, if it isn't here then can ask if anyone knows.

Take Care
Deb  ;D

Hematite - Alumina Oxide (Linde A)

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 08:48:27 PM »
Does anyone have any knowledge on what to polish Synthetic Spinel with, is it diamond or do oxides work better??

Take Care All,
Deb  ;D  beers

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 07:20:42 AM »
Does anyone have any knowledge on what to polish Synthetic Spinel with, is it diamond or do oxides work better??

Not a cutter so cant say from experience but just looked up one of the new books that came in last week - they recommend Linde A (alumina) on tin for spinel.  Use diamond on our black spinel.  Synthetic spinel has same composition as natural.  Would be interested if others have found different compounds to work better than others.

cheers
Leah

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 08:40:35 AM »
Thanks Leah,

I might try the Linde A first and if that doesn't work then will do it with diamond. Now to find a nice pattern to cut it in.

Take Care
Deb  ;D

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 09:39:43 AM »
Hi Deb,
   I have used 100,000 diamond on type metal lap with success on black spinel, however did prepolish with 14,000 on the ceramic lap to remove some orange peel effect. Appeared polished  ??? until examined in sunlight and had the be touched up again.
  Just spent a month  >:( cutting a 10c topaz for the Canberra show only to scratch a girdle facet removing it from the dop  :'( O well will put it in the competition anyway.
    beers Ted
Life isn't a rehearsal.

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 10:20:08 AM »
Gee Ted,

Thats a shame about the girdle facet, I don't think I could handle cutting 1 stone for a month.

I am going to try polishing it on the darkside lap, my cutting and prepolish combination etc is I start with a 180 (not on small stones though), then 220, then 1200, then 3000, then 14000, then darkside. I don't always do it in this combination, sometimes skip either the 3000 or the 14000, but ususally do one of them. I try to do all on Sapphire though.
 The Spinel is 49 ct so I could end up with a 1 ct by the time I finish  ;) or maybe a big whopper.

Take Care
Deb  ;D  beers

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Gearloose.com
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 12:27:36 AM »
For example, Iolite I polished using Alumina Oxide, but it didn't go to well, and I have since found out (thanks Merryn and Gearloose) That Cerium works better..

Iolite is weird stuff.  It's a ring silicate, but as far as polishing is concerned it thinks its a quartz.

gussyy

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 04:45:16 PM »
Just a newby and l am polishing my first bit of glass can you please advise what would be suitable.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 04:56:19 PM »
Just a newby and l am polishing my first bit of glass can you please advise what would be suitable.

Gday Gussyy - congratulations on being our 100th member - you've helped us make our century !!

Deb (aka Moonshadow Dancer) polishes a lot of glass and pops in frequently.  I'm sure she'll have some advice for you very soon.

Anyone else ???  Please chime in on this if you can.

Traditionally, cerium oxide would be the polish of choice for glass.  What others work well?  Advice on mixing polishes with laps?  Advice for a newbie will be very helpful for others reading later so feel free to be detailed.

cheers
Leah

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 05:27:46 PM »
Hi Gussyy,

Welcome to the forum....wow!!!! 100 woohoo!!!!

I find Cerium Oxide best for glass, I have used diamond, but the CeO works the best I think. Especially on the Darkside Lap, I hope that is of some help.

I try not to cut glass on to coarse a lap such as 180 grit, I usually go from a 1200 grit Lap straight the the CeO Lap. The ultra laps are good, I don't use them since I got a Darkside Lap because the Ultra lap tends to give rounded Facets where the DS Lap gives straight crisp facets. If you haven't got one as yet I would really recommend that you do. Polishing can't be very daunting for a new faceter and sometimes turn a would be great faceter away from this great hobby due to the polish process.

Feel free to try the novelty cut of the month, it works well in glass and isn't that hard.

Ok end of rambling.

Take Care
Deb  ;D

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 05:45:22 PM »
Deb mentioned the ultralaps - these are a good way of trying out a different polish at relatively low cost.

These will just sit straight onto a master lap - held tight with a very thin film of water so the surface tension holds them tight.  When you're finished, just peel them away.

There are two types of cerium ultralaps - the blue ones are spectra while the brown ones are cerium.  Both use cerium but the spectra ones use a higher purity of cerium and so we recommend those as the first choice.

Note that you can recharge ultralaps - not indefinitely but you can extend their life a bit.  They are a bit prone to facet rounding so use a light hand but worth trying to see how they work.

More infor here: 
http://www.faceters.com/askjeff/answer43.shtml

cheers Leah

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 05:49:21 PM »
Polishing can be very daunting for a new faceter and sometimes turn a would be great faceter away from this great hobby due to the polish process.

In this hypothetical situation, what would you suggest trying.

A brand new faceter working on his first stone - using a second hand machine.  Cutting going well, pre-polish is looking pretty good but getting scratches while trying to polish.

What things should someone try to resolve this problem?  Some general tips would be useful here if anyone has any suggestions??

Leah

moonshadow_dancer

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 06:43:55 PM »
Thanks Leah,

That is a good point to explain that.

I can't really remember what I use to do, but I can explain what I do now, which is basically the same.

If you start to polish and you get scratches, then you may need to stop polishing and go back to a 3000 grit, that usually helps get the scratches out unless the are very deep, if thats the case then you may need to go back to 1200 grit where you may loose a wee bit of size, but size is nothing if you have major scratches.

So in Summery, Polish Lap scratches, back to 3000 lap, if that doesn't work, then back to 1200, then go to 3000, then to polish.

I hope this is of some help, just don't get disheartened as the more practice the better you will become.

Take Care
Deb  ;D

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]