Fossicking and Rockhounding > Trip Talk

Tomahawk Creek again :)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Stix:
Hey Snappa are you living/working in Moranbah mate?  I was in Dysart for 3 years but have been in Moranbah for 6 months, we will have to catch up one day mate, i'm a 5 n 5 roster at the moment so have plenty of time off, it's great, just wish this wet weather would bugger off!

snappa:
hi stix

full time for the next 3 years at least untill i retire

i work 4 on 4 off

i am staying at the isaac motel

start work again on the 21st fly home on the 25th and then i move to moranbah for 3 years (contract)

i will be at 27 goolagong street

cheers snappa

mobile deleted, snappa, I sent it to Stix for you via pm

Lord_Thunda:
Hi Snappa,

Found some info for ya ....

A Moranbah Diamond - Found only in the Moranbah area from Goonyella/Riverside Mine to the Peak Downs Highway, this quartz crystal is a true gem. It has a hardness of 7 to 7.5 (topaz = 8 and diamond = 10). Due to the iron content in the 'cooking' process this gem has a clarity far superior to that of a normal quartz crystal.

Goonyella Riverside
Goonyella Riverside produces over 14 million tonnes of coking coal a year. The mine is located 30km north of Moranbah and 190km south west of the Hay Point port facilities. It is the northernmost of the mines operated by BMA in the Bowen Basin.

While not "true diamonds" it does make you wonder the chemical processes involved & why quartz is found in coal mining areas.

Bob  beers

Stix:
Cheers Snappa, i will give you a call this week, with all this bloody rain it has cancelled my plans for going down the gemfields this weekend.  Out of interest where have you founf the Moranbah diamonds?  I have found a few thunder eggs at Goonyella and Peak Downs.

snappa:
hi

working for qr i have access into the mines and the stones i found were lying beside the track at goonyella/ riverside

give ya a orange shirt and you can have a look for yourself.

just found on top of ground and i'm sure there are plenty there.

one has a red tinge to it the best one about the size of a sixpence??

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version