collapse

Author Topic: Does anyone have any information on fossicking around BROKEN HILL  (Read 27774 times)

fossicker john

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Does anyone have any information on fossicking around BROKEN HILL
« on: September 24, 2011, 09:09:55 PM »
I will be spending some time in Broken Hill in April next year and was wondering if there are any fossicking areas or is it all covered by mining leases. any info would be appreciated. Fossicker John

jad

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Folderless - Information & Knowledge Management
Re: Does anyone have any information on fossicking around BROKEN HILL
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 06:42:25 PM »
Hi fossicker John,

I havn't been to that area recently, but I'm sure that someone will be able to help out. Welcome to the forum also.

JAD

jad

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Folderless - Information & Knowledge Management
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:42:13 PM »
Anyone know anything?

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:19:21 AM »
I don't personally know of sites but the region obviously has good mineralisation.  From internet searches, I found these for starters http://www.mineral.org.au/see/pinnacle.html and http://gemfossicking.com.au/modules/AMS/article.php?storyid=54.  

The BH Mineral Club might also be able to help http://brokenhillmineralclub.wikispaces.com/

And then there's link to the XLS garnets mined out there http://aussiesapphire.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=1632.0
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:39:52 AM by Fullerton »
For Australian lapidary materials and gemstones  https://www.facebook.com/FriendlyHeartGems

PatrickG

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:20:06 AM »
Hi John,

I don't know a lot about the Broken Hill immediate area, but I've collected some nice Quartz crystals from the Olary region, which is about 120 km west of Broken Hill. There are also many other minerals in the Olary district including Beryl, Tourmaline, Chiastolite, Fluorite and many more. If you would like any info on this area, please PM me.

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »
Hi FJ - I have a small bokk called "Mineral Collecting Localities of the Broken Hill District" by Ian Plimer. Published 1977. I guess some of the localities listed might be out of bounds these days, but you never know. I bought it for a visit there in 1983.
Another Fossicker John

shaker

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 05:31:36 PM »
Hi John. I've always found that writing a letter to the mining company requesting entry onto their leases has always been accepted favourably by them. If they allow you on the lease they will give you directions as to where to go. Normally they ask that if you find any precious metals that you notify them.
If confusion is an indication of knowledge then I must be a genius.

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »
I forgot to add to my earlier post that the field trips described in the BH Mineral Club site give some ideas of fossicking locations.  I noticed a mention of garnets collected alongside the Barrier Highway west of the city.  Just remember to gain permission for entry where needed.
For Australian lapidary materials and gemstones  https://www.facebook.com/FriendlyHeartGems

fossicker john

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 10:28:23 PM »
Thanks all I`ll check out the info so far and let u know
Fossicker John

fossicker john

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 09:48:37 PM »
Hi Findem
I have now got a copy of the book you mention and it tells of fossicking areas by number. Is there a site where you can get a copy of these areas.
Fossicker John.

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 09:31:22 AM »
Sorry - that's all I know. It's been nearly 30 years since I was there and I spent more time digging for bottles than looking for minerals.  ;D

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 07:15:23 PM »
Just letting you all know.

I'm the president of the Broken Hill Mineral Club and I regularly get people asking me the big question about where to fossick around Broken Hill.

The book by Ian Plimer is out of date. Many of the sites he mentions are now closed off and new fences are in place. Thackaringa Station does not allow anyone to drive over their land. However if you are happy to walk into sites they are most accommodating.

Perilya and CBH - the mining companies who operate the mines along the line of lode do not let anyone on their leases. OH&S is the problem. You need to know someone who works there that is high up the command chain to get on.

There are still plenty of fossicking sites around Broken Hill, however they are mostly on pastoral leases. Most of these people are approachable and willing to allow mineral collectors on their properties. The only thing is, that they do not like trespassers and if you do get permission you can only go where they say you are allowed. Do not just front up to the station homesteads or you may get the reaction you don't want. Do the research and ring ahead in advance and most station owners will let you on.

Patrick G mentioned the Olary district. This too is slowly getting closed down. Kings Bluff on Outalpa Station is off limits as the station owner will prosecute any trespassers. Bimbowrie station is now national park, so no fossicking allowed and a consortium has bought up several stations in the area and it is hard to find the actual owners to get permission. Otherwise there are some properties that are accommodating to fossickers.

One last thing, many station owners will let clubs onto their properties but will not allow individuals. The reason for this is insurance. However, if you are a member of a mineral / lapidary club and have approval from them to check out areas on behalf of your field officer then your club insurance also covers you. 

Feel free to PM me if you need any more info on specific locales

Trev
Cheers, from my little piece of the Australian Outback...
For mineral samples from the Broken Hill, Olary and Mount Painter districts checkout my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/curnamonaminerals

snowman3195

• ALF'er VIP
    • Frosty's Aussie Adventures
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »

snip, snip.

I'm the president of the Broken Hill Mineral Club and I regularly get people asking me the big question about where to fossick around Broken Hill.

Trev,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for joining.

Wayne.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 08:02:17 PM by snowman3195 »
Wayne and Marg
www.frostysaussieadventures.com
Former Members of Mordialloc Lapidary club.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 09:54:38 PM »
Welcome to ALF Trev. :)

That is good information to know.

Jerry
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 10:06:50 PM »
Hi Wayne,

Looking forward to seeing you and Marg next month. I'll take you to the where the best Kyanite is found on Tikalina. I remember leaving a chunk about 2 feet across with 3 inch blades on the side of the hill because I didn't want to carry it back to the car. I think it could still be there... We'll find out soon enough anyway. There are good size pods all over the side of the hill, the trick is to find the pieces with the corundums in them. The only down side is they need to be chemically cleaned to remove the iron staining, but when this is done they look great.

Trev

Cheers, from my little piece of the Australian Outback...
For mineral samples from the Broken Hill, Olary and Mount Painter districts checkout my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/curnamonaminerals

Recent Activities

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by TheRockThief
[May 04, 2024, 11:29:23 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky
[May 04, 2024, 10:19:48 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[May 02, 2024, 03:20:57 PM]

Hi from Toongabbie, Sydney Australia by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

Vale Woofa by Jimnyjerry
[May 01, 2024, 10:25:49 PM]

Planning a trip to NT by tinker