collapse

Author Topic: Amethyst from Canungra / Beechmont QLD?  (Read 12359 times)

PatrickG

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Amethyst from Canungra / Beechmont QLD?
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »
Hi all,

Just wondering if there is anyone here that knows more about this location or has specimens from this deposit?
From what I understand, this is an old fossicking area in the hinterland Gold Coast that became inaccessible after the land was taken up as part of an Army reserve. I've never actually seen a specimen from this spot or heard much about the quality of the crystals that were found. According to an old article in an Australian Lapidary magazine, the area produced double terminated Amethyst crystals from decomposed basalt.

Is there anyone here who's been digging there in the past or can shed a little more light on these "lost" amethyst crystals?

Thanks!

Patrick

Wwoofa

• ALF'er VIP
    • Wwoofa
Re: Amethyst from Canungra / Beechmont QLD?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:04:59 PM »
Hi Patrick,
I've got some very old mud maps from QLD and it's not mentioned in those.  That area is not too far from Mt Tamborine so it might be part of the same volcanic activity?
Regards, Paul

PatrickG

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
Hi Paul, yes I think its definitely part of the same volcanics, I'll keep hunting around for more info, or hopefully someone here will shed some light on the spot.

makes_things

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »
I once went fossicking there in the mid 90s as part of a club trip. At that stage the land was leased to an old man who soon after died. The lease expired and the property is no longer accessible for fossicking. I didn't get double terminated pieces, but what I did get was a lavender colour with veiling and some bubbles, that I cabbed into about 10 small, matched cabs. These ended up in a ring and matching necklace. The amethyst had an unusual blue or cold purple tone, as opposed to Brazilian amethyst, which has more red tones in it.

makes_things

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 07:45:27 PM »
The property bordered the rifle range, hence the Army weren't too keen on fossickers straying into the rifle range and potentially catching a bullet by accident.

The amethyst bearing area was on top of one of the ridges, and a steep gully had to be crossed to get from vehicles to fossicking, requiring about a 45-60min walk (with all gear and water). Some of the club members were forced to stop and rest, another required an angina tablet, so this site was best for those with decent fitness.

arcticwolf1302

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 09:28:14 AM »
My parents owned the land that the Beechmont amethyst mine was on and yes it was taken by the army in 1970. I know of people getting double ended crystals from there after heavy rain. I now live on the other side of the Beechmont road on what was left of our property.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 08:38:41 PM »
People are still going up there.. :P. Now the Army has counters hidden in tree trunks, to tell them just how many people are entering their Land and going up there.... Last time I was there, there was a Security Guard watching and taking rego numbers, pretending to be watching over the Rock Pools... ::)

LW....
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

dempsey

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 04:27:28 PM »
Would anyone out there be keen on trying to get up in there any weekend soon? 

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 10:14:22 PM »
....As I hinted before... It is on Army Land and a No Go area NOW....People have been sneaking in(counters hidden in trees/Security Guards) and its only a matter of time before someone is caught and charged... I wouldn't want to be that Person and it would be a Federal charge,  of 'Trespassing on Federal Land'.. My Wallet isn't that big... ::).
   After all, it is a 'Training Camp' for Troops before they head to Afghanistan and other places... So a bit of Activity going on there ATM.... Since Sept 2001(Twin Towers USA)  the Army is a bit touchy about Who enters their Lands.... ::)
   After the latest Death/Drowning at the Rock pools earlier this year, things are getting Hot up there and won't be too long before that is Stopped too....
  We Don't Condone Illegal Activities on this Forum and Trespassing is Illegal ::)...
 Too many places are getting Closed down from 'People doing the Wrong Thing' 

Your Choice...  8)

Gemster.... beers
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 10:28:16 PM by Gemster »
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 05:38:00 PM »
Hi Gemster,

As it is an Army facility, it's conceivable trespassers in camoflage gear could be mistaken for terrorists and spend some time in the cooler or be accidentally shot.

After all it would only take a whiff of a terrorist threat to up the ante in the game of Russian Roulette called fossicking on army land.

beers
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Recent Activities

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[Today at 01:58:18 PM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by The Rock Hunter
[Today at 04:21:54 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 15, 2024, 07:45:43 PM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 14, 2024, 05:24:48 AM]