collapse

Author Topic: Question about desalinization  (Read 4969 times)

llarson

• ALF'er Gold Member
Question about desalinization
« on: February 14, 2013, 02:58:12 PM »
   We watched an interesting T.V. show last night about a new seawater desalinization plant to supply Melbourne. Our question, that didn't get answered on the show; what is done with all the salt and other minerals that come out of the seawater? Did a bunch of hunting around this evening, but learned nothing. Reading shows Australia to be very much into making fresh water, hopefully someone can tell us a little about this, or give guidance to find the information. Thanks, Larry

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Re: Question about desalinization
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 03:18:51 PM »
Quote : 'The resulting waste will be a non-toxic substance which, if it weren’t for the salt content,
could be reused as an additive for soil remediation. However, because of its salt content, it
currently has no reuse and will be disposed of at a landfill that is appropriately licensed,
based on final classification by the EPA.'

not a brilliant idea :o ::)  Noticed somewhere else that the plant will produce far more water than Melbourne can use.

see http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=what%20will%20happen%20to%20salt%20from%20melbourne%20desalination%20plant&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aquasure.com.au%2Fcms_files%2F100824_Victorian%2520Desalination%2520Project_FAQs.pdf&ei=hWUcUYanFMaJmQXYi4DYAQ&usg=AFQjCNE_PztMc5xabhA4nr6l2hYgc2BicA&bvm=bv.42452523,d.dGY

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:20:44 PM by Jimnyjerry »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
  • Experience you get - just after you needed it
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:15:18 PM »
We use reverse osmosis desalinators on the boats, which I believe is the same principal of these commercial units.

Around 70% of the salt water originally picked up is returned to the sea, just a little saltier because of the salt removed in the 30% turned into fresh. Nothing is added to the water for the process. It merely removes the salt and impurities which, as I said, is returned.

If they are going to desalinate to the same of the fresh water from the dam, then it will be about 380 ppm salt. On the desalinastor on the boat, we could get the salt content down to under 100 ppm, but it tasted too pure so we would increase the salt to about 250 ppm and put it through a limestone filter to get some flavour into it.
I started out with nothing
And still have most of it left.

-----------------------------------
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

calxoddity

• ALF'er VIP
  • Give Me Your Sapphires....
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 11:17:16 AM »
+1 re the byproduct being saltier water.  The big bugbear of reverse osmosis is the energy consumption - they chew through the electricity.

llarson

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »
     Thanks for the replies. Simple fix, yes, and perhaps the only practical one, but a sad one. We don't care much for land fills.

chookie2

• ALF'er VIP
  • Chookie to You.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
 the desalination plant though now a fixture is quite controversial. It will produce by products not good for the land, ( we are already facing salination in parts of Vic now and they want to add salt to landfill???) they began charging people a year before it was commissioned and had to repay the money  ( though that too was controversially decided and implemented), and the amount of water will be enough to sell to NSW as well as Vic( which may have been the hidden agenda all along some say).
Now currently in Vic there is Political talk of dam extensions, which for me is a more sensible idea, but I wonder with the desal plant now commisioned and running  why would the extensions be needed? Maybe climate change is going to be far worse than they tell us?
Happy Fossicking from Chookie

Geology Rocks, I really dig it.
My rocks are gneiss, don’t take them for granite.

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »
The Wonthaggi desal (Melbourne) plant is not far from here. They are not putting the salt into landfil, they are simply returning it to the ocean offshore, so there is no landfil problems. My bug with it is that we Victorians are paying a million $$$$$ a day for it to sit idle as the water is not needed in the foreseeable future!!!  :P
Baaa humbug, not enough fossicking time!

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
  • Experience you get - just after you needed it
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »
+1 re the byproduct being saltier water.  The big bugbear of reverse osmosis is the energy consumption - they chew through the electricity.

Good point calx. I guess it doesn't matter on a large boat as the genset is already running 24/7 anyway.
I started out with nothing
And still have most of it left.

-----------------------------------
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

chookie2

• ALF'er VIP
  • Chookie to You.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2013, 04:09:14 PM »
And where the extra salt is dumped will kill or drive off all the ocean dwellers in the area too. The oceanic micro climate is unstable enough without man's insensitive approaches, ask any seahorse. :o

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 05:07:11 PM »
Tried to talk to the sea horse Chookie, but had no luck. Now talking to unicorns, I am quite conversant with them 8)

chookie2

• ALF'er VIP
  • Chookie to You.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 05:26:52 PM »
Jamo dear they only talk to virgins you know. (Not that I am casting aspersion of course!) Are you sure you are not imagining that conversation perhaps? or are psychedelic unicorns different to the norm?;D ;D ;D ;D beers

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 06:43:04 PM »
Jamo dear they only talk to virgins you know. (Not that I am casting aspersion of course!) Are you sure you are not imagining that conversation perhaps? or are psychedelic unicorns different to the norm?;D ;D ;D ;D beers
Psychedelic unicorns, no one told me about those!!!  :o I only know the regular white or invisible ones ... will have to keep an eye out for the psychedelic. Are they a bit like blue topaz in that they are much harder to find than the regular clear kind of topaz?

On a different note I've booked the site for the gemboree. Itching to get over there catch up with some fellow fossickers and frolic among the rocks! Will talk more of Sea horses & unicorns over there! Cheers  8)

Cheri Bate

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 11:37:53 PM »
There is already one in Sydney at Kurnell, has been built now about 5 years and they still haven't used it!  You may be able to find more information if you do a search on the existing one. I know they mostly just get salt in the process, not sure what they do with it when they are done though.

chookie2

• ALF'er VIP
  • Chookie to You.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 08:53:14 AM »
Jamo,I am sure Calxoddity has a psychedelic unicorn. He may be able to put you straight on unicorn rules. See you  at the Gemboree mate!  beers

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 11:26:54 AM »
The only true way to test if it is a psychedelic unicorn is to lick its nose.  ;D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker