collapse

Author Topic: The New "MATRIX™" Ceramic Composite lap "A ceramic lap with good manners"  (Read 6941 times)

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
The New "MATRIX™" Ceramic Composite lap "A ceramic lap with good manners" is now here ;D ;D
Thanks to Jon and Adamas Instruments for developing yet another fantastic Faceting Lap option.

Have a look here:
http://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_105&products_id=3431

And here for a Gemology Online discussion:
http://gemologyonline.com/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17447

Anyway I suggest any Faceter that strives for perfection should have a Matrix Lap in their Kit.

We have already shipped one out to a ALFer for Free in exchange for Testing Feedback and Reviews of their experience, the next two customers who strive for perfection ::), Grovel Droo , or just want to enter History in Australia as to being the Second and Third person to try a Brand new Faceting Lap for Free, let me know and will consider.

Note: I suggest in fairness to us and Jon you should be a Faceter with experience and be prepared to offer feedback and discussion on the Lap - that's how we all learn and what ALF is about. These cost us money, so they need a home that will appreciate the gift hotthirsty    

The Aussie Team  

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:48:07 PM by Aussie Sapphire »
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Klingon

• ALF'er Platinum
oooh that sounds very tempting........shall examine finances'
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind :- Dr Seuss

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Gearloose.com
Just a note that the person who started that MATRIX discussion on Gemology Online was Lisa Elser.

This year, Lisa's AGTA Spectrum Award winning 14.24ct Red Tourmaline was accepted into the Smithsonian.

She's not exactly a casual hobbyist.  But it seems to be a pretty forgiving lap, and quite versatile.
I had this weird pice of sunstone I did not know what to do with.  I wanted to show the green in the culet, but wanted to copper schiller to appear also, so used it to play with the Matrix.  Pavilion was done with Diastik 60K, and the crown was done with chrome oxide.

7 Cts, 10.4X15.2 mm

Another Matrix Stone that is not on the Matrix discussion page:

Pulled lab ruby, 12.2 Carats, 10.4 X 15.75
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:17:15 AM by Gearloose »

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
How about a LAPAROUND.
Get a list and post it to the first on the list he then posts to the next and so on. Id be happy to pay $13,00 for the privilegde of seeing and testign a new lap.Set conditions of having a stone ready to go and must post on in 24hrs or you get publicly abused on forum.
Im happy to throw in some of my special polishing compound to test alongside the diasticks.

Regards Anthony

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
How about a LAPAROUND.
Get a list and post it to the first on the list he then posts to the next and so on. Id be happy to pay $13,00 for the privilegde of seeing and testign a new lap.Set conditions of having a stone ready to go and must post on in 24hrs or you get publicly abused on forum.
Im happy to throw in some of my special polishing compound to test alongside the diasticks.

Good idea Anthony,
A Brand New Matrix Lap plus a Diastick and some Battstiks on there way to you for free tomorrow as the first "Laparound" beers.
  I want each tester to have a chance to work the Lap and Polish so I suggest that anyone gets 7 days ,they then
pay for Registered post carefully packed to the next Tester.

So basically you get a bunch of goodies to try for just the cost of one postage ( probably $7-$10 ) I reckon thats a Deal  hotthirsty 

All we want from any tester is comments and discussion and remember Jon and Aussie Sapphire are there to help if you have issues,good our bad we are prepared to discuss and I reckon thats a healthy attitude we strive for.

Put your Names down, I guess Klingon you want second go?

This is not a competition so dont be shy ,want a range of feedback from the Guys and Girls that are our Lapidary crew.   

Cheers Andrew

Klingon

• ALF'er Platinum
oh i dont want second go...i just want one...I will order online thanks.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind :- Dr Seuss

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Gearloose.com
We did this early on when the first BATTs came out, years ago.  It's a great way of people getting feedback really fast,and best of all, from real users that people either know or have heard of.

Keep in mind, though..send it along clean. The second, third, etc. users are getting a used lap, not a new one out of the box, and we did have some trouble back then...All it takes is one guy to put the wrong grit on it, have a dirty machine, etc, and it throws the tests off.
So Andy's suggestion of experienced faceters is one that will protect the people in line.

Over the years I have often advertised for testers on Gemology Online, and my policy has been to ask for commercial or Pro cutters who cut  a lot of stones.  That way we are testing by people who cuts more stones in a month than some casual faceters cut in a year.  For these deals, the testers get to keep the laps, because the commercial cutters have shop rates, and they are using their valuable time doing something of value for someone else: They deserve to be paid.

Andy, I will send 3 more 6" Matrixes, or add 3 to the next order No Charge so you can release that many for the testers, and know they will be replaced.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Two new ones on there way already.
 I agree with my first offer and Jons support,
One more avaiable and Shipped for Free ( no cost t all if you fil the background) :o
 Yes if you fill the bill no cost but Reviews good our bad hotthirsty
Cheers Aussie Crew

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
 Thanks Guys and Girls ;)
 Third free one gone + several purchased so we look forward to feedback.
  Its a matter of buying them now.
 Cheers Andrew

Klingon

• ALF'er Platinum
As soon at it arrives i shall give it a test run and will also do a review of my Polymetric machine and compare it with the Hall i learned to facet on and a Gemmaster i have used as well.

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Gearloose.com
Said these were doing well with CZ over here.
 One of my dealers sent me a present..A piece of a new colour, "Ice Blue" CZ. You can hardly see the blue tint in some lighting...but it looks like ice.
14X14mm, 30 Carats.
Prepolish 2500K Diastik  on BATT, then 60K Diastik on Matrix.

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Sweet prezzie.... Sir Iggy pendant?
Keep em comin!!!

scratchie

• ALF'er Gold Member
Jon ,
Wuld the supplier of the Ice-blue CZ please stand up . There might be quite a few facetors would like to get their hands on some
Regards
John

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
 I gave a Matrix Lap to a Local expert cutter on Friday to try,he just called around to show of some Quartz and a CZ.
 Both Fantastic Polish ;) ;)
  He reports it scared him for a short time as he used a large piece of Corundum to Break the Lap in but after a couple of minutes it started to sound good so he went to the Polish stage where the Polish was quick and precise. beers

He has gone home to Dop a large Sapphire.
Cheers Andrew

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • Gearloose.com

Would the supplier of the Ice-blue CZ please stand up . There might be quite a few facetors would like to get their hands on some

John Franke at the facet shoppe, www.facetshoppe.com

or more directly, http://www.gemcutter.com/syn-ruf.htm

He does not have a lot of it, so if you want some, better jump on it.

Here's a shot that KIND OF shows the true colour.  It's very subtle.

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]

The illusion of cubes by RoughCreations