collapse

Author Topic: Harts Range Camping  (Read 7025 times)

Sioux

• ALF'er Gold Member
Harts Range Camping
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:49:20 AM »
Hi All

Heading off to Harts Range next week. I'm after info on camping there. Talking to a stall holder in Sapphire 2 weeks ago, I was told that you shouldn't drink the water at Gemtree, not even for cooking. For those that have stayed there before what do you reckon? Also believe you are not allowed to use generators. We have a fridge in the car and usually run the generator for awhile at night to charge the car batteries. Already been caught out with two flat batteries at Fullerton River before and don't want a repeat!

Camping on the fields, is it safe to leave your camp and go fossicking in other areas? Not sure how far apart the various diggings are.

We prefer to camp out bush but are still deciding on this one. Even camping fees add up for three adults over two weeks.

Grateful for any feedback :)

Sue

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Harts Range Camping
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:33:10 AM »
Hi Sioux,
       Water at Gemtree is fine there are rain water tanks for drinking water but the bore water while very hard seems just fine too. Liquid soap works but a bar of soap is as useful as a block of wood. Camps are quite safe although food and boots should be secured from dingos. Power is available 6am till 9pm from station generator not sure about using your own. All that said Mud Tank is the only place I have had my half processed wash "Ratted" one night although equipment was not taken, but that is not the norm there.
                                 beers Ted
Life isn't a rehearsal.

Tripz

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 02:57:13 PM »
Hi Sioux,
I camped out at mudtank for 3 weeks last year with no problems at all. The best suggestion I can make is pull into Gemtree C/P for 2 nights like I did and go and have a gander at what sites are out there and at least you`ll know where to go. Also allows you to fill up water only about 17ks from your camp. No probs about the water take lots of empty 20L watercontainers as there is nothing out at mudtank and you`ll need it for washing your hardearned. No problems at all about using a Gene out at mudtank either.
Hope this helps and have a good trip... :)

Sioux

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 03:33:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a good idea to spend a couple of days at Gemtree to get our bearings.

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 05:30:17 PM »
I was at Gemtree only three weeks ago.

I dranks 3 to 4 litres of their water every day (this was while it was still hot and digging makes you thirsty). It seems high in calcium so may not be what you are used to ... but I had no problems. I didn't bother boiling any ... that would take up too much fossicking time.

For Australian lapidary materials and gemstones  https://www.facebook.com/FriendlyHeartGems

Sioux

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:28:20 PM »
If we don't stay at the caravan park can we still get/buy water from them? We would really like to stay at the park for a day or so as suggested but that would involve putting the tent up and that is bad enough once on a trip never mind doing it for only a day or two and then shifting camp. Husband + wife + erecting tent = :) :( :-X >:( :( :) beers......

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 12:30:02 AM »
      http://www.gemtree.com.au/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=3
     Perhaps best to contact Gemtree as above and ask about water supply. I believe there was a court case that determined water could not be refused as it belonged to everyone not the landowner. Worth considering staying at gemtree for the convenience of security,power,and hot showers( mostly) for about $200 week. Its only 20min on good road from Mud Tank(zircons) and 40 min from the garnet site.
                                                       beers Ted
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:46:06 AM by fossickeract »
Life isn't a rehearsal.

Fullerton

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 07:24:32 AM »
Having a hot shower at the end of a hard and dirty days fossicking was definitely worth the camping fee. The morning showers can be less than hot if you want a shower too early ... they kick the donkey into life at about 6:30am but the water takes a good 30 to 60 minutes to heat up properly.

At the caravan park, you could also get meals (I got hot chips a couple of times) delivered to your site by quad bike  beers

For Australian lapidary materials and gemstones  https://www.facebook.com/FriendlyHeartGems

mg

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »
We were at Gem Tree about a month ago. In total agreement with Fullerton and Fossickeract. As c/van parks go, it's definitely up there, plenty of room and trees and the owners and staff are all good people. You will appreciate the hot showers after a day at Mudtank with the flies.When I overcome  my natural humility, I'll post a pic of my 1412 ct zircon bomb I found at Mud Tank. 

toppster

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
I drank some of the water ,its not great but drinkable I recommend taking drinking water

toppster

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 11:18:26 AM »
I totally agree with fossicer act ,take liquid soap to shower in the bar does little.

Sioux

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »
We have decided to stay at Gemtree. Sounds like it will be easier all round. Liquid soap packed :). Daughter is not too impressed with the temperature out there. Tents aren't the best mode of accommodation in winter brrr.

fossickeract

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 03:10:33 PM »
 A small blowheater soon warms up a tent, and a hot water bottle for the feet ;D . It will often warm up 20*c  in half hour while you eat breakfast. Good luck with the fossicking.                    beers Ted
Life isn't a rehearsal.

Sioux

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 05:18:35 PM »
Thanks, hopefully we will have lots for show and tell when we get back. :)

Sioux

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 03:06:22 PM »
I have read on the Gemtree website that you can purchase one bottle of wine or 6 standard drinks per person per night to take back to your campsite. Does this mean that you can't bring your own alcohol with you? Tried to look up Nth Territory gov regulations about alcohol but couldn't follow it  ???.

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]

The illusion of cubes by RoughCreations