collapse

Author Topic: Is this stirling or plated silver?  (Read 8485 times)

Matt_95

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Is this stirling or plated silver?
« on: July 30, 2013, 08:24:05 PM »
I bought this bracelet for my girlfriend a month or so ago, I was looking over it tonight and I noticed that the clasp has had a layer scratched off of it from it. The colour under the scratch is a very dark colour, almost black. It was sold and is stamped as stirling silver however I am worried I have been sold an inferior product, what do you all think?

From Rock to Ring

• ALF'er Silver Member
Re: Is this stirling or plated silver?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 10:22:27 PM »
Hi Matt_95
It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures, but the scratches look like the top material has been scratched through to a base metal of some sort.
If an article is manufactured from solid sterling silver and is scratched the metal is the same colour right through. the best way to check is to get an acid test done on it, a local jeweller or pawnbroker would be able to help you there.
From the pics it doesn't look very promising, but good luck!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:24:13 PM by From Rock to Ring »
Custom gemstone faceting also lost wax casting in the precious metals.

Matt_95

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 10:34:59 PM »
Thanks very much, you've confirmed what I was thinking, what sort of acid would need to be used? I have several here, the strongest is phosphoric acid I think, if that's not useful I will take it down to the jewelers tomorrow. That would be a legitimate reason to return it wouldn't it?

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »
Matt, if you've been sold something with the belief that it's stirling silver (925) and it's not, then yes you do have grounds for returning it.  You may have even paid for the weight of silver and have been overcharged for the item as well.  ACCC grounds for returning an item state that if the item is not as described (in this case 925 silver) you are entitled to a refund. The scratches look somewhat suspicious.

Garry
Common sense isn't exactly common

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »
Acid test will be most reliable but if you have a strong magnet available you could test to see if it is attracted to the magnet in which case it is NOT sterling silver. Not all base metals are magnetic so this is not a definitive test but worth a try if you happen to have a suitable magnet.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Matt_95

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 10:06:41 AM »
Thanks very much guys, I will definitely be returning it if it proves to be plated then.
I just tried putting a magnet on it but I got no reaction, magnet wasn't particularly strong though. I will follow up on the acid test.

MarraCabba

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 09:35:39 PM »
Hard to tell, but have been rhodium plated and somehow the silver has oxidised... Not every jeweller is dodgy.

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 09:27:28 AM »
Sterling silver has a specific gravity of 10.4 (McCreigh).  If you haveaccurate enough scales, you can work out if it is sterling without damaging the metal.

Shops should not be allowed to lable any thing without silver in it as silver. 
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

AndrewCampbell

• A coffee and croissant to start the working day...
    • AC Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 12:32:26 PM »
Beautiful handmade jewellery collection you have got there! Each piece is unique and timeless and that is the benefit of choosing custom-made pieces as compared to a commercialized or factory-made range. I bet it requires a certain set of expertise on top of the time and effort to produce such an intricate series of your personal assortment.

AndrewCampbell

• A coffee and croissant to start the working day...
    • AC Silver
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
I think the best option is to either use a magnet first and not any strong acid or simply go down to a jeweler to have the jewellery checked. Sterling silver is of a high quality and very unlikely to produce such a mark even if scratched. You have every right to seek a refund if you are not getting what you paid for.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 04:26:35 PM »
There is so much fake 925 silver on ebay, pretty much everything from China. Some sellers reckon it's good enough to be stamped 925 if it's plated with 925 silver.  Especially chain.

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »
Yes there is a lot of fake silver coming in from China, and other asian countries, the usually silver plate nickle and then give it an iridium bath that makes it shine for ever or until the iridium wares off then you just get black marks on your skin.  Most is stamped with 925 or like the others said S/S all the way through.

calebc

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 08:36:16 PM »
it is 100% illegal to stamp an article .925 if it is not sterling silver so you can generally base your decision off that  but as someone said it may be rhodium plated which will wear off and show through the sterling silver will show through

sterling silver has a nasty habit to oxidise, the metal will go blackish or a dark shade of grey    and possibly leave a green mark on skin

it is just the nature of the metal, it is only a surface fault and can be polished off relatively easily, factors like diet, chemicals that come in contact with the silver and even body acids can tarnish/oxidise the silver.

this doesn't mean the metal is dodgy or faulty in anyway but may be a rection to the wearers skin

by the looks of it in my opinion it is sterling silver

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:39:22 PM by calebc »

Recent Activities

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker
[March 26, 2024, 02:48:04 PM]

Garnet by RoughCreations