collapse

Author Topic: Calling all Robilt users  (Read 7580 times)

Pentaluna

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Calling all Robilt users
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2010, 04:48:31 AM »
I just wrote to John at Robilt, asking about prices for missing parts.  Later today I will be picking up the machine and can then tell better what it might need.  I have no idea what kind of motor I will need for it  - must it be variable speed? 
I am not sure if the pads that come with it actually fit this machine, and even if they do, who knows how the prevous owner may have used them and what kind of grit/abrasive/polish may be on them.
The owner is getting rid of the remains of his dad's stuff so there are a few jewelry tools, mandrels, etc. too.  Even what looks like a nice diamond saw blade but alas, I have no saw.

John

mehoose

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2010, 12:34:55 PM »
John, whoever assembled my old machine used what looks like a cake pan for the bowl, the shaft for the lap has a contraption at the base so the belt can be moved to 3 different possies for speed change. So if you can get something like that the motor wouldn't need to be variable.
Keep em comin!!!

Pentaluna

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 12:40:48 PM »
Mehoose,  I know what that three-wheeled pulley setup is like so I could do that.  Great idea!  I wonder what I could use for the rotating table that carries the lap?  The shaft is there and it is threaded.  I haven't heard from John at Robilt.  I see that 1/4" dops are needed but I have 1/4" brass rod and could drill a hole and install the locating pins.  Shaping the ends of the rods shouldn't be too hard.  What RPM should the shaft turn?
I wonder if the machine will be worth all the trouble!

mehoose

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 01:15:22 PM »
LOL, this is where you find out I'm female.  ;)
The shaft seems to go into a cylinder or sorts, might house a bearing and on top of that, there is a removable thick disc of metal that sits under the lap. Check the size of the shaft, does it fit the laps? Mine have to get bored out a bit bigger.
With the dops, I wouldn't make them. The ones I have have been made this way and are off centre and bent. Taken me MONTHS to find out that problem, everything was off centre when cut.
I've ordered gemmasta ones, which Andrew and Leah sell. They have a groove down the side if you did want to insert a spall peg of sorts.
I think just doing the girdle and after transfer, go back to the 90 degrees, leave the screw nut loose and get one side straight to the lap then tighten, you wouldn't need to rely on a peg.
That Raytech is starting to look attractive.  ;)
Keep em comin!!!

Pentaluna

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 08:12:08 AM »
Well, sad to say, I never did get a reply from John at Robilt.  In the meantime I have decided that at my age I probably should be cutting, not trying to fix up an old machine.  I bought a used Graves Mark IV which I hope will be delivered this week.  It is ftted with a soft stop designed by GemsByJohn in Lexington, KY USA.  I will have enough laps to get started and I have a few roughs.  A couple days ago I bought a quartz crystal to cut up into roughs so I should have enough to keep me from hanging about bars and street corners and consorting with loose women.  Thanks to all for your kind help!  wish me luck!

John
Indiana USA

Andrew

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 09:10:10 AM »
I have to admit, John that I think you have done the right thing.  You should be able to get bits for a Graves a lot easier than trying to fix up an old Robilt.

Graves are not the easiest company to deal with (in our experience) but at least over there you can call them on the phone.  And there is probably a whole bunch of second hand stuff about.

Look forward to hearing how you go with it.

For the benefit of others, John from Robilt is still in business but I think is much easier to contact by phone - email does not seem an effective way to contact him.

cheers
Leah

mehoose

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 10:50:39 PM »
Well it's good to see you got over the first hurdle, making a decision about which machine to get.  ;D
All the best with the learning curve. Don't forget we love pics.
It is a shame tho that you didn't get a response from Robilt, says 'she' who is a shocker with private responses at the mo too.  :-[
Keep em comin!!!

Rockypaul

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2017, 12:18:51 PM »
This is an old topic but at the risk of reviving a dead horse, I am interested in the comments aboove, Johne from Robilt suffered an illness and and since suffering badly as a result and providing almost non existant customer service he has since recouperated and promises not to let people down again, his mobile number is 0414469203, I have 3 Robilt machines I won at an auction from Rockhampton Lapidary club, of which I have been a member for a number of years, I have replaced a lot of the parts and made adjustments to the machines, I have found the machine to be reliable and I am happy with what I have, the landline is 0359917639.

John always speaks highly of the people hare at Aussie Sapphire.

When I acquired the machines it was a horror story but having replace the wear and tear of 30 years plus I am no9w very happy to revert back to the specifications of the original builds.  beers

Once I decided to stop blaming my machine and practice more my results have imroved exponentially. I have used the Hall machines but no others so I am not in a position to comment on the ability of all other machines.

Aussie Sapphire

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Sapphire
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2017, 12:28:59 PM »
Thank you for the update.

Robilts were popular and there are still plenty of machines around which will do a great job for people so great to hear that support from Robilt will continue into the future.

Cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Rockypaul

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 12:38:11 PM »
Great news , John is making new Robilt machines and he is using an aluminium base.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:47:59 PM by Rockypaul »

Tags: faceting 

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Clear topaz by MrSydney
[November 19, 2017, 08:07:12 PM]

Mr Tumbles property at Silent Grove torrington now closed. by Gemster
[November 19, 2017, 02:23:42 PM]

Gemmasta GFE3, Lapcraft Saw x2, Polisher for sale by Robert W
[November 18, 2017, 12:09:35 AM]

925 Stirling silver pendant setting prices. by cliffsearch
[November 17, 2017, 04:48:41 PM]