collapse

Author Topic: removing stones from old jewelry  (Read 15670 times)

XTMess

• ALF'er Platinum
removing stones from old jewelry
« on: April 16, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »
OK I have an earring with quite a few diamonds in it. I lost the other of course. Well I thought I should use the diamonds for something else. How do I remove them.
Rock on...

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
Re: removing stones from old jewelry
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 12:06:08 AM »
If the setting is designated scrap then remove them by cutting them away with a jewellers saw.For claws just below the stones girdle.For bezels at the girdle but only go around a bit past half way and pull the metal away and the stone will come out.

You could try the IDIOTS WAY and melt the gold and the diamonds float to the top

XTMess

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »
Haha awesome. Now I heard something today that sounded ridiculous but my lack of opal knowledge has me doubting myself. Can opals be removed from and old setting.
Rock on...

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »
Opals arewnt diamonds. So you need to be very careful.same proceedure,but the sawblade can chip or scratch opal.

PS opal dont float in molten gold just kinda explodes

XTMess

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
The jeweler said that the opal would crumble. I thought it sounded strange. That as long as they were careful it could be done.
Rock on...

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »
Just Like I said. I used to be a jewellery workshop manager and it was my job to remove stones,grade them and trade in the gold.Im now also a diamond setter. I did the two week course in the USA and learned more there  in that time than a year at TAFE here.
Should start a news paper column TONy knows it all, or Ask Tony.Its amazing what you know after thousands of mistakes and learning curves.

mehoose

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:32 AM »
The jeweler said that the opal would crumble. I thought it sounded strange. That as long as they were careful it could be done.

Many variables here. It could be glued in, even if there are prongs or bezel. This goes for heaps of jewellery, just something to always be aware of. I was caught out by a turquoise glued in to a bezel setting...grrrr.
Then you might say so I'll soak it. Well, is it solid..are you 100% sure of your answer? Soaking will stuff a doublet in no time.
If it's just claws, you can cut as suggested but if you want to save the setting then carefully pull back the prongs. If bezel set then you need a super fine blade to prise under the bezel and start working the blade outwards without using the opal as a bracing point. Tricky but doable. Had to do this on a few old rings for resizing and repairs.
Can the opal crumble? Yes of course it can, if not crumble then cracks might occur. Prongs can put stress on points of the opal, bezel is a more even stress and when the pressure is released tears can occur.
This can be said for quite a few gems so it's always something to keep in your mind if you ever put your hand up to help others. There is always a chance a gem has a weak spot or flaw.
Keep em comin!!!

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
Yeah the resin set.There has been alot of ideas about how to dissovle araldite without disolving the stone or getting cancer from the solution. I suspect aniseed oil will soften without affecting even rare stones as it will melt plastics. I havent tested it yet and yes it will probably disolve the glue in opal doublets and triplets.There was no mention of glue in prevoius posts so your input was much appreciated.keep adding on.

XTMess

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »
I was lucky yesterday. I Bought a beautiful green opal set in gold plated sterling silver. At an antique shop for $35. Its solid with amazing color.
I would like to set the opal in solid gold. Probably a ring seen as though I have a Cooper pedy opal pendant already.
Rock on...

sienawilson

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 11:47:35 PM »
If you are removing hard stones from the fashion jewellery then you must heat the jewellery slightly.
This will result it separation of stone and the gold/silver.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 08:52:01 AM »
I personally wouldn't be putting any heat near an opal, there's a big risk you'll crack it.  I'd just carefully try and pry the claws (if any) away from the stone to release it.  If it's a bezel setting there are ways other than heating it.
Common sense isn't exactly common

AndrewCampbell

• A coffee and croissant to start the working day...
    • AC Silver
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:28:31 AM »
It is not so easy handling diamonds as it has to really depend on the structure of the jewellery. If you are not careful enough you could end up damaging them instead of being able to reuse them in another piece of ornament. All the best to you and hope you achieve what you are trying to create.

calebc

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 08:28:24 PM »
hey I'm a jeweller by trade in regional nsw.   the job is simple enough , with the right tools that is.  id honestly advise against doing it yourself just as there is that risk that you may lose one or chip one, a lot of the jewellers i know would not charge you anything to remove the stones for you i know i wouldn't   and if they did it may be a fee of $10 or so .   and at the moment 1.3mm diamonds or   0.01ct    retail at about 45 dollars each give or take

may be worth seeing a manufacturing jeweller to help you out

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]