collapse

Author Topic: Orange zircon from Reward  (Read 5171 times)

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
Orange zircon from Reward
« on: July 19, 2014, 11:57:52 AM »
Original stone approx 7 carats......

Cut a 3 carat oval brilliant. The pinkish tinge in the rough stone is still visible if veiwed from the correct angle in natural light. Stones were a bit dirty when photographed, should have cleaned them.

Blue sapphire, original stone approx 24 carats (I had thought it was 21).

It cut two stones, an 8-carat oval brilliant and this round just under a carat. I don't have a photo of the big stone, the lighting I saw it in was too poor to take a worthwhile pic.

Blash

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Orange zircon from Reward
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »
great work there lefty wouldnt mind a couple of them!!  Droo

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »
Yep, very underrated stone is the zircon. Hopefully there will be more of them :)

Lapis Lupinus

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »
That's a beautiful zircon Lefty, not to mention the sapphire. Great size too

mangomick

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 05:56:23 PM »
Good onya Lefty. Sure that's not a bit of XXXX stubby you've facetted there ;D ;D ;D
Looks real sweet Mate. Looks like you must have found a transfer jig for your machine.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 09:10:17 PM »
Not cut by me Mick - I've been saving my pennies to try and get a more up-to-date machine. Actually, that little Hall machine might be useful for putting a tin/cerium oxide-charged carpet wheel on and bringing home cabs done at the club for the final polish. Maybe fit carborundum paper wheels as well, just like are at the club - 220, 400 and 600 - except horizontal like a flat lap.

Pretty sure that stone isn't stubby bottle - I was sober when it was found ;D

Looking forward to finding my first good-sized stone, the size of that blue in the rough or bigger :D Not that there's anything wrong with a bunch of smaller ones, they add up 8)

mangomick

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 10:47:14 PM »
Ya wuss . Why didn't you take it in and get Vic to teach you how to facet it on the VJ.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 06:42:17 AM »
When I get a more up-to-date machine, complete with all the bits - until then I'll just keep practicing cabbing :) By that time I might have accumulated a supply of facet rough.

Heading down to Lowmead this morning. Neil told me that there are still pockets and patches that have not been dug out, showed me some pics of a couple of nice pieces. Hopefully I might score a couple 8)

ktmman

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 12:51:30 PM »
Hope you do well Lefty,I've been thinking of going up for a look there for a while. Please keep us updated on how you go.
Insert [Funny Text] here!

mangomick

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:14:51 PM »
Good Hunting Lefty. I went  down there with the Mrs and the Club  some time ago and can't remember if there was much/any amethyst of any quality found. Think from memory a bit of smokey, that was sort of ok, was found. Think more was found walking along the side of the road and kicking the little pile the grader blade left sticking up was more productive than actually digging.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 05:28:21 AM »
Think more was found walking along the side of the road and kicking the little pile the grader blade left sticking up was more productive than actually digging.

Yeah, that's what I've found Mick. That said, I reckon if you were keen enough to go down there and put a solid weekend in digging you would very likely turn up some good faceting material. I think you'd miss a bit if you just dry-sieve because of a film of clay on the gravel, you'd need to wash. Do you know if you're allowed to camp there?

One of the blokes from the club was there yesterday. Can't recall his name, he joined up about the same time as me I think. He had one nice looking piece. He said his mate got a good-sized crystal the day before.

I thought the stuff was just novelty-value but I see that the best natural amethyst without cracks and of a deep, rich purple (as opposed to the pale bits I've picked up there) actually sells for about $5 a carat as faceting rough. If you want to facet but don't have the money to just buy everything all the time, turning up a single good-sized crystal could make digging worthwhile.

Just like you were saying about faceted gems in photos, these bits I picked up are actually clearer than the photo suggests and a couple of bits would probably facet.

Clear quartz with a bit of citrine (or maybe just stained?)

Couple of little pieces of pale smokey like this..

Busted amethyst crystal....

Smokey crystal growing from a smokey crystal...

Few other odds and sods, six or eight little pale amethyst crystal points about the size of a green pea. Yeah - I reckon if you went down there and put in some solid digging and gave it all a good wash, you'd stand a good chance of finding an ok crystal or two. Might do that.

Taz

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Australian Lapidary Club Directory
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 09:45:30 AM »
I thought the stuff was just novelty-value but I see that the best natural amethyst without cracks and of a deep, rich purple (as opposed to the pale bits I've picked up there) actually sells for about $5 a carat as faceting rough.

You can get sawn clean Bolivian natural amethyst from my GemWerx (http://www.gemwerx.com) website at $2.50 a carat.  Not as dark as the some of the Uruguayan amethyst but still a nice medium dark material.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:00:35 AM by Taz »

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
Interesting info on Lowmead Lefty. Was told that it was all dug out.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

mangomick

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 06:16:52 PM »
Lefty I'm pretty sure it was ok to camp there. The time we went down, although we only went down for a day trip a few of the club  were staying overnight. Check with Di, pretty sure her and john were stayed the night ,the last time we went. Just talking to Joan and she wasn't sure if camping was still allowed or not as Neal stays at the campground at the 4X4 park which isnt far away but that may just be so he can have a few conveniences.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 08:10:03 PM »
You can get sawn clean Bolivian natural amethyst from my GemWerx (http://www.gemwerx.com) website at $2.50 a carat.  Not as dark as the some of the Uruguayan amethyst but still a nice medium dark material.

Cheers Taz.

Interesting info on Lowmead Lefty. Was told that it was all dug out.

There has been a lot of digging done there Jimnyjerry but the stuff is still there in pockets. But it's like the sapphires - it doesn't come easy :P The ground is easy enough to dig - it's just soft sandy loam, you can just about dig with a shovel alone - but it's about a metre down and the band of wash is very thin.

Lefty I'm pretty sure it was ok to camp there. The time we went down, although we only went down for a day trip a few of the club  were staying overnight. Check with Di, pretty sure her and john were stayed the night ,the last time we went. Just talking to Joan and she wasn't sure if camping was still allowed or not as Neal stays at the campground at the 4X4 park which isnt far away but that may just be so he can have a few conveniences.

Cool. The creek looks nice.

I didn't realise you could stay at the 4x4 campground if you weren't 4x4ing - that's good to know.

Cheers

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Gemmasta GFE3 Re-alignemet by REXL
[May 31, 2020, 08:55:19 PM]

Facet design wanted by Moth
[May 31, 2020, 06:50:44 PM]

Andrew Brown Prize -Australian Facetors Guild 2020 Annual Comp by MakkyBrown
[May 31, 2020, 08:52:41 AM]

New laps review by Giel
[May 30, 2020, 03:20:57 PM]

Emerald Cuts, any tips? by Faceting Frank
[May 29, 2020, 07:58:45 AM]

Vibralap information or experience or advice wanted by Marra Mamba
[May 28, 2020, 09:03:30 AM]

Gemmasta 4 faceting machine water issue by hithwentinuviel
[May 26, 2020, 01:56:39 PM]

Concave Cutter by FlashGP
[May 25, 2020, 07:08:57 AM]

Home made faceting machine, transfer jig and dop sticks by Ghost
[May 24, 2020, 08:11:39 AM]

Resurfacing polishing laps by MakkyBrown
[May 17, 2020, 09:23:12 PM]

Number of wheels in a car by pc bowe
[May 16, 2020, 08:22:45 AM]

Hello from the central coast, NSW , austraila by The Aussie Boy
[May 15, 2020, 08:52:48 AM]

* Calendar

June 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
[1] 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30

No calendar events were found.
Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 66
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Find us on Facebook

* Forum Stats

• stats Total Members: 4277
  • stats Total Posts: 55880
  • stats Total Topics: 5955
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 27