collapse

Author Topic: Mt Gibson, QLD  (Read 8825 times)

Taz

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Australian Lapidary Club Directory
Mt Gibson, QLD
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
Has anyone been in to Mt Gibson after topaz recently?  My Daughter and I have some time between the Atherton gem show and Marreba Gold Festival and would like to do a bit of fossicking.  Any advice would be welcomed.  Any hints on any other fossicking locations in the Innot Hot Springs area would be welcomed as well.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Re: Mt Gibson, QLD
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 04:11:04 PM »
Sorry Taz cannot help with Mt Gibson.  Have seen pictures of the track in and baulked at the entry gate.  Had a heavy load of agates aboard so was not sure of being able to negotiate the tracks by myself.  You probably would have a better and easier time at O'Briens Creek chasing a bit of topaz. It is not too much further. :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Taz

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »
Sorry Taz cannot help with Mt Gibson.  Have seen pictures of the track in and baulked at the entry gate.  Had a heavy load of agates aboard so was not sure of being able to negotiate the tracks by myself.  You probably would have a better and easier time at O'Briens Creek chasing a bit of topaz. It is not too much further. :)
Thanks Jerry but a bit too far South for this trip.  We'll need to be reasonably close to Mareeba for the gold festival the following weekend, then I have to get back to Brisbane shortly thereafter.

Wwoofa

• ALF'er VIP
    • Wwoofa
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »
Hi Taz,
My last visit was 15 years ago so my info is a bit out of date.  However .... the track in had ruts but I didn't really have any problems getting in with a rented RAV4.  Wet weather would make it much harder.   I parked when I got to the fossicking area and walked from there because there were a few washouts on the track .... they wouldn't be any problem to a proper 4WD.  I found some nice topaz crystals by just dry sieving the top 20cms of soil.  I just picked an area up the hill where others had been.  The crystals are very well formed here because they haven't been tumbled in creeks.  Personally I'd recommend giving it a try.  I've been meaning to go back but just never had the chance.  There have been a couple of GGT articles where the authors found some nice specimens.
Good luck, Paul :D

Taz

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks Paul we might go and have a look.  My Patrol is loaded down with stock but my Daughter has a Surf so it should be more capable than a RAV4.  Love to do O'Briens Creek like Jerry suggests but just a bit too far this trip.

snowman3195

• ALF'er VIP
    • Frosty's Aussie Adventures
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 08:29:16 AM »
Taz,

Marg and I tried it last year (2nd June 2013). The track was too rough for us to get to the proper fossicking areas. We stayed at the Innot Hot Springs CP and you need to get permission from them, as they own the property.

Here is my report with a few photos.
http://www.frostysaussieadventures.com/Trip2013/13dd06.htm#day40

Be careful, if you decide to do it and give us a report, if you get there.

Wayne.
Wayne and Marg
www.frostysaussieadventures.com
Former Members of Mordialloc Lapidary club.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 06:31:35 PM »
How long have they owned the property? You would only need their permission if you wanted to go out side the dedicated fossicking reserve. See http://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/activities/fossicking/north-qld/mount-gibson/

Was all the keep out signs still on the gate when you went snowman? I heard back in the 2000's when I went to Innot Springs Caravan park to enquire about the topaz area that some body had actually shot and skinned one of the cattle so the farmer was not very happy.

snowman3195

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 07:00:50 PM »
Jimnyjerry,

You are correct the fosssicker doesn't need permission, but as we were staying at the Caravn Park, I spoke to the staff and they told us it was Ok to go there EXCEPT it was too rough for us.

Wayne.
Wayne and Marg

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 09:41:19 PM »
Thanks snowman  :)
Looks like some of the additional signs are gone. Might go in there one trip but with company to pull each out of any difficulties.  ;)

Might get some bash plates for under the 4WD first.  :)

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 04:45:28 AM »
Frosty, your vehicle is identical to mine - are you saying that the track was too rough for you rather than the Navara? It's a place I want to visit since the in-laws now live in Mareeba. Agate creek, O'Briens creek and Mount Gibson are all on the list but Mount Gibson is the closest to home base.

snowman3195

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 09:10:57 PM »
Lefty,

It was me NOT the Navara.

Frosty.

Wayne and Marg

Taz

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 08:00:53 AM »
The track is a bit rough but my Daughter drove in to the base of the mountain without difficulty in her Surf.  Only two spots were above 'Easy' level 4x4.  Once at the bottom of the mountain there was one spot we didn't challenge so we walked up to the diggings; not a long walk.  Didn't find much though, just a little tin and a small bit of beryl, no topaz.  We're rank amateurs at topaz fossicking though.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 09:04:51 AM »
Taz, what would you define as above 'Easy' level for a 4x4?

How would these be defined:

All the jump ups to McDonald Ck at O'Briens Ck, Mt Surprise.

The climb to the last parking spot up to the top of Black Soil at Agate Ck.

Driving up the volcanic plug at Ruby Hill Bingara.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 03:49:28 PM »
Lefty,

It was me NOT the Navara.

Frosty.

Heavens above, NOT the mighty Navara!
Common sense isn't exactly common

Taz

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 08:02:50 PM »
Never been to any of those places yet Jerry so I can't compare.  There were a lot of ruts which any 4x4 would easily clear and just needed you to take your time and occasionally make sure you took the right approach.  The worst on the way in was a gully crossing and again you had to plan your approach but the Surf never lifted a wheel so while it looked daunting it really wasn't bad.  The second spot was around a short corner that had the vehicle on quite a lean but other than being uncomfortable again it wasn't any real challenge.  When you get to the base of the mountain though there is a corner with a massive lean and a high sidewall so we didn't attempt that one.  A Prado had gone through it though before we got there so it was definitely beatable and I didn't see any damage to their vehicle.  Just after that corner there is also a rock bar that I wouldn't have attempted but was obviously beatable because the Prado had got past it.  That last part I would class as high medium 4x4 to low high difficulty.  But as I said before you can walk from there. I wouldn't take a heavily loaded vehicle in though so your previous decision when you were loaded with agate was a good one.  Slow an steady is the trick with a bit of planning on the gully crossing.

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker