collapse

Author Topic: stubborn glue  (Read 10704 times)

Blash

• ALF'er Gold Member
Re: stubborn glue
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 09:54:56 PM »
ill give that a go ghost, freezing water around it to attempt to get some ice wedging going didnt do anything either

rubytin

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »
I mix a bit of cerium oxide in with the epoxy before setting.  I also put a bit of blue tac on the culet when tranfering the stone. When the stone is finshed apply a bit of heat and crimp the dob back from the stone with a pair of pliers. Stone pops out easy every time. I then clean the stone in jar of acetone overnight.

Taz

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Australian Lapidary Club Directory
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
Is this the amethyst I sent with your last order Ben?  Looks nice from the side.  Dying to see what it turns out like at that size.

gammyknee

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »
Hope you haven't tried my suggestion  ::) but I know how you feel - I've have had the same problem and has caused damage to the stone trying to release it from the dop. I think when transferring the stone, a smaller diameter dop is also better to be able to release the stone when you have finished and ready to remove. As Ghost has said the stone is deep and this is harder to free.
With some patience and the suggestions you have got (not my suggestion) should see this one out.
Certified Gemmoligist - Gem A. Collector and Cutter

Blash

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 11:43:52 AM »
nah taz one of the older pieces i got from you took a lot of work to get a mostly clean stone out of it, its the last of that Brazilian material the Bolivian one will be the next stone i cut once im finished this lot of stones with the peridots and the zircon and some of the morganite. The stone now has a small chip in it from when i was trying to remove it but luckily where it is located will be able to be hidden under a claw in the setting it is going in

Taz

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Australian Lapidary Club Directory
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 01:46:21 PM »
nah taz one of the older pieces i got from you took a lot of work to get a mostly clean stone out of it, its the last of that Brazilian material the Bolivian one will be the next stone i cut once im finished this lot of stones with the peridots and the zircon and some of the morganite. The stone now has a small chip in it from when i was trying to remove it but luckily where it is located will be able to be hidden under a claw in the setting it is going in

Colour was nice in that Brazilian material but quality was disappointing.  I have a new contact in Brazil but he only has access to what he says is 6.5 on a scale of 10 so I'm guessing it's somewhere around the same as the Bolivian stuff or worse.  The problem with the Brazilian material is that even though colour can be deeper it's more expensive, hard to get in smaller lots and isn't usually sawn clean like the Bolivian material.  I'll see what he has available towards the end of Q1 in the New Year. 

By the way, if you see any sapphires in the new parcels I've put up on GemWerx that you like let me know which one and I'll check it out more closely and if it's suitable for what you want I'll get a better picture for you and break up the parcel.  I should have more coming in the New Year as well.

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 02:15:59 PM »
I dopped a stone the same way with Dextone and soaked it in Aniseed oil. It dissolves the glue on the dop but cant get at the cone part. So Cut the to top of the dop off and then it will have access to the glue. Dops are only a few bucks verses a few hours of cutting.
I would have taken an angle grinder to it by now. or as I call it pre-polish.

Blash

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 01:23:17 AM »
So after soaking it in methyl chloride for almost 48 hours with no success and another attempt at out of the frying pan and into the fire option I decided to go for Tony's suggestion well sort of.... the dop got to have a very close welcome to the trim saw for a little off the top and then to the 1200 grit wheel on my cabbing machine to just tidy it up a bit, after this back to the fire she went and TAAAADAAAAA out she popped and to the victor went the spoils of war

and the casualty

Blash

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 01:24:01 AM »
needless to say aussie sapphire will be getting an order for a new dop in the near future hahahaha

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 07:32:16 AM »
Oh Dear - that was drastic but glad you got the stone off eventually.

Have never heard of glue holding that tight before.

Cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

agemcutr

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »
This has always been an issue with gluing over wax dopping. Sometimes the glue is just too good as is the case with dextone. A simple solution goes back to the days when you would coat the stone with shellac before dopping so the wax would stick better,but this time coat the dop stick and apply a little heat to set it, then glue the stone in the cone dop.
I like the idea of putting something over the culet point as the glue is so good it doesn't need to cover all the stone surface. This can also be shellac applied carefully by a toothpick.

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 10:54:16 PM »
Glad to see you got the stone out.  I was about to suggest a rock dissagregator.  There's a demo of an experimental one in some Geology department.  It shocks core samples so the bonds between crystals break down but leave the crystals intact.  They say it is better than crushing the sample.

One glitch, it works on man made lightning.  Just type 500kv rock dissaggregator into youtube to see it in action.

I expect that in the city you would need to soundproof the garage.
 beers
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]