collapse

Author Topic: A couple general questions  (Read 3454 times)

llarson

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • MSN Messenger - clllarson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
A couple general questions
« on: August 02, 2009, 01:23:03 AM »
A couple questions to you folks in Australia. I live in the U.S. [Oregon] and have only been out of the country barely into Canada years ago, and a free all-expence-paid trip to sunny South Vietnam in 70-71, compliments of the U.S. Army. Is it your prefence to call this country America, as I frequently read? I believe you use the metric system of measurement entirely; here we are stuck primarily using the old feet and inches thing; perhaps evolution will catch us up someday. Being a machinist and doing all our mechanical work at home, I'm comfortable w/mm. but a little rusty at converting the rest of the system. Would it be acceptable or preferable were I to use the metric system in communications on this forum? This would also give me a sort of "language immersion". I pray to the outdoors daily that one day we will join the rest of the world in embracing the metric system of measurement, but at 62, I won't see it.

mehoose

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
Re: A couple general questions
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 01:46:05 AM »
I generally say the U.S.

Those of my age bracket or (cough) maturer grew up with good ol inches and feet and had to suffer thro the ritual burning of our rulers as a school en masse :'( Very sad.
We have a real mish mash of both systems when buying tools or men stuff like nuts and bolts or have a hard time finding the old gear when needed. :-\
The babes of the forum would probably prefer metric speak, so send your responses sms style and they'll get it no worries. ;D
Keep em comin!!!

silverspear

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »
Hi larson, some aussies call the USA just plain `america` for short..i think we have a tendency to shorten words and create slang all the time, maybe we are lazy speakers, maybe its a carry over from cockney slang from Britian....I had to order a new saw blade over the net recently...the bore hole on old blade is 10mm in my speak, but everything advertised was in imperial..a few pulls of the hair later, and found out i was after a blade with a 1/2 inch bore hole/arbor  ???

llarson

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • MSN Messenger - clllarson@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 02:57:21 AM »
Egad, you have to deal w/the same thing we do, but the other way around. Had a 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass years back, then a Jeep Cherokee, needed a box of both kinds of tools to do more than an oil change. Had a couple Ford Falcons for a long time, great cars, simple,dependable, and easy to work on; needed only one box of tools. Were your Falcons imperial measure, metric, or a frustrating combination thereof? 

mehoose

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 03:07:07 AM »
It's 3 am here Llarson, just a wee bit early to ring dad ;)
Will have to get back to you on that one. :)
Keep em comin!!!

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Gearloose.com
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 06:59:57 AM »
then a Jeep Cherokee, needed a box of both kinds of tools to do more than an oil change

Believe me, it can get worse than that. Try four computers made in three different countries,non-OBD2, with Metric and English parts sprinkled around at random. I'll show you an exercise in sheer misery!
My wife's "Other Cat".

EDITED:  Sorry Gearloose - had to delete the photo of the Jag as it was throwing up a Malware Detected error on Google.  The Pansophist site is on their bad list for some reason. (cheers admin)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:22:52 AM by Aussie Sapphire »

Aussie Sapphire

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Sapphire
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 08:31:31 AM »
Just checked into the forum this morning to find the Google red screen of death - major panic.  Turns out just a little problem with the photo of the Jag in the message above - deleted and all back to normal - phew.  So they can be a problem for more than just the metric/imperial  ;)

I'm one of the metric generation but there is still plenty of stuff here that is talked about in the old measure and I will be very happy to see the back of inches and feet.  Having said that, we still need to use them a bit.  We try to use both measurements in our listings so people dont have to convert - there might be a few bits missing but we do consciously try to remember to include both.

Proud parents still talk about how many pounds their baby weighed when born so some things take a long time to change.  Worse for farmers when they're planting in kg/ha but harvesting in bags/acre - very confusing for me to say the least.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Gearloose.com
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 10:16:22 AM »
EDITED:  Sorry Gearloose - had to delete the photo of the Jag as it was throwing up a Malware Detected error on Google.  The Pansophist site is on their bad list for some reason. (cheers admin)

Thnaks for letting us know.  The web host had an infected server, and it was cleaned up two weeks ago.

But they all lie, or Google does not update as often as they should..You know, the "It's never us"... more excuses than a pregnant nun. 
I fired the place three years ago but my wife still hosts with them.

FWIW, I no longer get alerts from her site.

Aussie Sapphire

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Sapphire
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
no worries - I had a bit of a panic about it because there has been lots of hacks on zencarts in the last few weeks - I had installed the security patches promptly but am operating at a slightly higher level of paranoia at the moment.

Obviously Google has not updated their "bad list" despite the cleanup - they arent the easiest lot to communicate with.  It didnt seem like a big deal but using Chrome, I couldnt get past the red Malware screen - once I switched to Firefox, I could see what was going on and could relax a bit.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

calxoddity

• ALF'er VIP
  • Give Me Your Sapphires....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 03:24:31 PM »
Hi,
  Depending on your background, the reference to citizens of the USA can vary somewhat.  Some of my former colleagues in the military had some rather "colorful" labels for y'all.....  ;-)  but the posts so far have grabbed all the usual suspects.

With respect to metric measurement, I'm mostly metric now but have retained the ability to do mental conversions to and from metric and imperial so I don't confuse my American work friends too much (I leave it to our use of slang to do that!).  I can still remember roods, rods links chains etc etc but it's not much use in normal conversation.

Metric is just so much easier to work with, except where you need a 3/8 spanner for an old lawnmower or something and all you've got is a 4mm...

I also think it's a bit ironic that the USA has a metric financial system (dollars and cents) but can't make the step to the same base for measurement.

Regards,
Shane

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Gearloose.com
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 10:15:10 PM »
Depending on your background, the reference to citizens of the USA can vary somewhat.  Some of my former colleagues in the military had some rather "colorful" labels for y'all.....  ;-)  but the posts so far have grabbed all the usual suspects.

There are Aussie/Yank dictionaries online that can be viewed by dedicated Yank masochists.

I also think it's a bit ironic that the USA has a metric financial system (dollars and cents) but can't make the step to the same base for measurement.

As it is, many store clerks cannot make change without the electronic cash register.  I have been in stores when they broke.  Either the clerks guessed at the change, or the customers "Helped" the clerk. Now, imagine before decimal; Twelvepence to the shilling, four threepennybits to the shilling, 20 to the Pound...
Many,many businesses have machine tools whose lead screws and dials are English.  Our industrial base was not bombed out in WWII, and there are millions of these old tools in daily use.  Now, all one has to do is to buy digital readouts for their machines, and push a button.  I did for my lathe and miller.  The Miller is metric to begin with, the lathe is English, but it does not matter any more.
Of course the DRO cost ten times what I paid for the lathe....

Gearloose

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Gearloose.com
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »

Obviously Google has not updated their "bad list" despite the cleanup - they arent the easiest lot to communicate with.

I do not know what is going to happen to Google, but my wife is in a towering rage.
She is a Scot.
 The web hosting company will be getting a "Braveheart" phone call Monday morning.

Pray for them.

mehoose

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 11:51:35 PM »
ROFL Jon :D
I know what you mean 8) Guess who married a true blood ;D
Keep em comin!!!

silverspear

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 01:46:06 AM »
I`m from Cornish tin miner stock, so I`m going to chew me pastie with me pixie friends and kick back and watch the action...might defend meself with a lump of quartz crystal... beers

mehoose

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 12:21:25 PM »
Gearloose, make them eat Haggis. :P
Keep em comin!!!

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Andrew Brown Prize -Australian Facetors Guild 2020 Annual Comp by MakkyBrown
[May 29, 2020, 02:41:16 PM]

Emerald Cuts, any tips? by Faceting Frank
[May 29, 2020, 07:58:45 AM]

Facet design wanted by MakkyBrown
[May 28, 2020, 09:52:06 PM]

Vibralap information or experience or advice wanted by Marra Mamba
[May 28, 2020, 09:03:30 AM]

Gemmasta 4 faceting machine water issue by hithwentinuviel
[May 26, 2020, 01:56:39 PM]

Concave Cutter by FlashGP
[May 25, 2020, 07:08:57 AM]

Home made faceting machine, transfer jig and dop sticks by Ghost
[May 24, 2020, 08:11:39 AM]

New laps review by Giel
[May 23, 2020, 06:08:57 AM]

Resurfacing polishing laps by MakkyBrown
[May 17, 2020, 09:23:12 PM]

Number of wheels in a car by pc bowe
[May 16, 2020, 08:22:45 AM]

Hello from the central coast, NSW , austraila by The Aussie Boy
[May 15, 2020, 08:52:48 AM]

Fossicking near Newcastle by The Aussie Boy
[May 14, 2020, 01:30:39 PM]

* Calendar

May 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 [30]

No calendar events were found.
Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 32
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Find us on Facebook

* Forum Stats

• stats Total Members: 4274
  • stats Total Posts: 55870
  • stats Total Topics: 5954
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 27