collapse

Author Topic: Cabbing/Cutting competition idea  (Read 6109 times)

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Cabbing/Cutting competition idea
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:45:58 PM »
One of our members has suggested that ALF run a regular competition for members to show off their lapidary skills so putting it out there for you guys to tell us whether you would be interested in participating or not.

The idea would be for us to nominate a challenge in either cabbing or faceting (suggest we swap it round a bit) - members can enter by adding a photo to a folder we set up in the gallery and post a thumbnail to the thread.  We can then add a poll to the thread so members can vote for the most popular entry.  Winner gets a prize - perhaps a $100 Aussie Sapphire gift voucher or the like.

So - let us know if this would be of interest.  Aussie Sapphire is happy to sponsor the competitions so let us know if you want us to set it up.  One possible idea for the first competition could be phenomenal stones - ie. post your star sapphires, catseye cabs, a nice example of adularescence (moonstone), a really amazing play of colour in opal, etc.

Over to you....

cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Ghost

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Cabbing/Cutting competition idea
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 05:04:09 PM »
Good idea, but would probably end up as a competition of skill in Gem Photography rather than Gem Cutting.
Regards,    Ghost.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:04:42 PM »
Hi Leah,

I think it could be a great idea. What I'd like to see is a competition that encourages all forum members to compete, not just those with the best rough to work with and highest skill level. Maybe the major prize could be random and minor prize for the best. That way all will enter no matter what skill level, including kids and beginners, and we all get to see more cabs/ and or stones.  This could add interest to the forum and attract/ keep members. Help build the forum community.

Cheers
Andrew
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:06:53 PM by MakkyBrown »

dughug

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 05:24:30 PM »
Leah, great idea re the competition- Would suggest it be asthetic appeal with a vote from ALF members. As Ghost indicated the limiting factor would be the quality of the 'photo's

brett h

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »
This is a great idea!  Ghost makes a good point but I'm confident you seasoned clever-clogs' would surely adjudicate intuitively irrespective of photo-quality! 

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 06:41:28 PM »
Yes, I like the idea of a comp. I think it would be good if we could include a photo of both rough &  finished stone to prevent someone just buying something & entering it. I also like the idea of either handicapping or making previous winners ineligible in the next month so everyone could have a chance of winning. Thanks Aussie Sapphire for the offer of prizes.
Baaa humbug, not enough fossicking time!

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 06:53:36 PM »
ok.

It is a go-er then.  Agreed that photography skills are an issue but unfortunately, only way to assess remotely but we should keep in mind that not everyone is a fantastic photographer even if they are a gun cutter.

Two prizes are worth considering - people's choice and "random entry".  Like the idea of including a picture of the rough it came from.  Yes to sharing out the prizes - radio stations do this often so the same people dont win all the time.

Stay tuned for an announcement soon on Competition 1.  When it is up and going, make sure you spread the word so we have lots to see and admire.

cheers
Leah

Gem Ranger

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 01:00:14 AM »
Sounds like a good idea, we'll soon know the level of interest by the number of entries submitted.
As its a comp to show off lapidary skills I think before and after photos would be required to qualify an entry. It would also show how well a stone has been transformed even if the photo quality isn't all that flash ;)
Cheers Leah for putting up a prize to get this idea going

GR

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 10:06:41 AM »
OK - competition is up and running with closing date 21/6/15.  You have a month to cut something eligible.

The Competition gallery is located here:
http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;cat=85

Please post a before and after photo - enntries are to be a cabochon cut stone showing any type of gemstone phenomena - this could be a star or cat's eye, different types of play of colour or shiller (opal, moonstone, sunstone, etc), colour changes, etc so you have lots of options out there.

s will
http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4804.msg44446

During the last week of the competition, I will add a poll for members to vote for the "people's choice" winner - another winner will be chosen at random.  Both winners will receive a $50 gift voucher to spend on anything at Aussie Sapphire.

You do NOT need to be an expert cutter to enter this competition - everyone is encouraged to enter so please spread the word far and wide.  We will have a new competition with a different challenge when this one closes - if you have an idea for a challenge or prize, let us know.

cheers
Leah

mick B

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 10:25:17 AM »
A comp like this may help to promote the forum, this is by no means a first, the US forum has been running these for a few years now, another idea would be to do a comp in the futer based on jewelry, so all aspects of lapidary can be covered, cabs, faceting and carving, covers all types, another issue I have seen on the US comps is at times people who have more friend on the forum attract more votes, not always the best piece.

Cheers mick B

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 10:41:15 AM »
A comp like this may help to promote the forum, this is by no means a first, the US forum has been running these for a few years now, another idea would be to do a comp in the futer based on jewelry, so all aspects of lapidary can be covered, cabs, faceting and carving, covers all types, another issue I have seen on the US comps is at times people who have more friend on the forum attract more votes, not always the best piece.

Cheers mick B

Yes - we will be changing it round a bit - cabbing, faceting, jewellery, etc.  It is certainly not the first - one of our members has suggest we run these because they enjoy entering and browsing other similar comps in other groups.  Some members have encouraged us to give it a go so hopefully people can support it.

The competition is not intended to judge the "best" work - it is just impossible to do this via photographs and there are lots of other competitions out there to do this - eg. Gemboree and many other where you physically submit the work for assessment with qualified judges.  It is just intended to be a bit of fun, to encourage members to show off their work and build the community.  By choosing a RANDOM winner as well as the "most popular", anyone can win.

Cheers
Leah

Rockgirl

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 04:06:10 PM »
This is really exciting! I cant wait to see everyone's entries!
Thanks Aussie Sapphire for getting this up and going  beers

I have been looking at my slabs and I dont really have material that fits the brief but I think I have some tigers eyes somewhere that might.... I better start rummaging!
 ;D
Karen

Recent Activities

Tomahawk creek by Besty
[May 14, 2024, 07:00:25 PM]

Victorian Sapphires by Manficat
[May 13, 2024, 06:50:09 PM]

Vale Woofa by MrSydney
[May 07, 2024, 10:12:47 AM]

Resin-bonded scissor-grinding lap by RoughCreations
[May 05, 2024, 04:52:12 PM]

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by Clarky