collapse

Author Topic: Working on Media Gallery  (Read 27079 times)

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Re: Working on Media Gallery
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
Hi Leah,

My photos no longer appear, if you haven't finished your updating, tell me and I will wait until you have finished.

Otherwise,
I clicked on Gallery - MyGallery
It lists my 2 Galleries (Frosty's Misc and Frosty's Stones) I click on either of those and there are no photos.

Any thoughts.

Wayne.

Your albums are a mystery Wayne.  There should be items in there.  The problem we had with the conversion was just that many of the thumbnails went missing and the item count went wrong.  We have fixed the item count and are restoring thumbnails now but your photos seem to have gone missing altogether.

Might be easier just to re-upload them as your galleries are still in place.  Just leave it until tomorrow as thumbnails are still restoring overnight.

sorry about that - yours is a mystery.  There may be other cases but hopefully not many.

cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »
OK.

We have done as much as we can with the Gallery.

Unfortunately, some images have been lost.  I have checked through quite a few user gallerys going from largest and most seem intact but I know there are a few affected:   snowman3195 seems to have lost images from both his albums.

Ted - Samira is there in all her glory  8) but there was an empty album called Fossickeract - all others seemed ok.  Same for Mudpuddler - all except one album seems fine.  Same for Fullerton who seems to have lost images from the Taxi Service and Fossicking albums but the others seem ok.

So if you would like to re-upload any photos that are important for you - sorry for the inconvenience.  Note there is a batch upload feature which should help.

I will do a tutorial on the new gallery later today.

For those who want to keep track more - there is a new feature which allows you to be notified by email of any comments on your images.  Also, you can set your main gallery page to show most recent, most commented and most popular images under the Settings option.

The Thumbnail in Message feature is NOT as good as the old Gallery - sorry about that but for a variety of reasons (visible and behind the scenes), we decided we needed to move to a Gallery with more active updating and much better developer support.

Cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 09:19:34 AM »
Is the option regarding gallerys being restricted to members still there? I had all my pictures members only as I don't want them floating around google and only available to those contributing on this forum.
Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,  Had another look at this and there was a main setting to restrict guests from viewing image details - ie. the full size image and associated information/comments.  Thought I had to do this on a album-by-album basis but there was a global option for this which I have just enabled.

So you have to be a registered member (and logged in) to view the main images but guests can only view the gallery index pages (ie. see thumbnails).  I think this is a reasonable restriction so that guests can get a feel for what is on offer via the Gallery Index but have to register to see the full thing.

cheers
Leah

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 07:46:13 PM »
Is the option regarding gallerys being restricted to members still there? I had all my pictures members only as I don't want them floating around google and only available to those contributing on this forum.
Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,  Had another look at this and there was a main setting to restrict guests from viewing image details - ie. the full size image and associated information/comments.  Thought I had to do this on a album-by-album basis but there was a global option for this which I have just enabled.

So you have to be a registered member (and logged in) to view the main images but guests can only view the gallery index pages (ie. see thumbnails).  I think this is a reasonable restriction so that guests can get a feel for what is on offer via the Gallery Index but have to register to see the full thing.

cheers
Leah

Hi Leah,

Great idea, that should work really well. +hopefully bring more new members onto the site.

Cheers
Andrew

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:17:52 PM »
I just checked my gallery - Findem's Foundem. I don't know how many pics there were were originally, but there seem to be none now.  :'(

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 10:28:47 PM »
Hi Leah,

Bit of feedback. Just looking at the gallery. I don't think it's worth having thumb nails of the most viewed images as they won't change that often. It could be better having more thumb nails of recent images instead. It would also be nice if the recent images were at the top of the page so you don't have to scroll down to them.

Cheers
Andrew

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 07:39:59 AM »
Hi Leah,

Bit of feedback. Just looking at the gallery. I don't think it's worth having thumb nails of the most viewed images as they won't change that often. It could be better having more thumb nails of recent images instead. It would also be nice if the recent images were at the top of the page so you don't have to scroll down to them.

Cheers
Andrew

Each individual member can control what they see in the gallery.  Still working on the tutorial but when you go to the gallery, toward the bottom of the page, there should be a Settings button (ie. just the word Settings to click on).  When you go to that page, you can tick which blocks you want to see - Most Viewed, Most Commented, Highest Rated, Most Recent.  Just tick which sections you want to have visible.

The size of the blocks are set - I will see if that can be changed.  Not sure if you can set these to be at top or bottom - will investigate.

cheers
Leah

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 03:27:40 PM »

Just looked and there seems to only be a settings option available for galleries I own.

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 04:13:55 PM »
So, what has happened to the photos from my gallery?

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 04:36:11 PM »
So, what has happened to the photos from my gallery?

Sorry John - just checked and looks like you are one of the unlucky ones who will have to re-upload their photos.  You can batch upload to make it quicker or send them to me and I will do it for you.  Sorry about that. Due to some existing problems with the old gallery, not all the images converted over correctly (these errors/issues were one of the main reason we changed over but unfortunately, it has caused some problems).

You however, be happy to know that one of the features you requested (ie. email notification of comments) is available in the new gallery so I hope you will be able to reload as many of the photos as you can.

cheers
Leah

snowman3195

• ALF'er VIP
    • Frosty's Aussie Adventures
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 06:51:04 PM »
Unfortunately, I cannot upload any of my previous photos from the old gallery, as I don't know which photos they were. 
eg: doesn't help me.  :'(
The joys of computers.  :)
Wayne.
Wayne and Marg
www.frostysaussieadventures.com
Former Members of Mordialloc Lapidary club.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 07:21:20 PM »
Good news for Findem and Snowman3195 - your photos have been restored thanks to the help of the Gallery Developer who has been fantastic in helping with this conversion (lots of errors which have come mainly from the other software but he is stepping up and getting us out of trouble).

Please note that although we do aim to back up properly - any image that is important to you should also be backed up at your end just to be doubly sure.

cheers
Leah

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »
Thanks, Leah. I'm glad they're still available.
On the subject of backing up etc I thought I was fine last year when my computer suddenly gave up. That was when we found that 90% of the files in my backup drive were garbled and couldn't be recovered.... Findem's Foundem gave me back some of my lost files then.

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 07:53:28 AM »
Thanks, Leah. I'm glad they're still available.
On the subject of backing up etc I thought I was fine last year when my computer suddenly gave up. That was when we found that 90% of the files in my backup drive were garbled and couldn't be recovered.... Findem's Foundem gave me back some of my lost files then.

Yes - bad backups cam be a problem and one that I have experienced also.

For photos and the like, portable hard drives are really chap now and are a good way to have multiple copies saved.

You would think the experience of having to pay way too much to retrieve files from a crashed hard drive for my masters degree some years ago would make me obsessive about backing up. But I am still as slack as most people.

Cheers Leah

snowman3195

• ALF'er VIP
    • Frosty's Aussie Adventures
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 03:21:51 PM »
Good news for Findem and Snowman3195 - your photos have been restored thanks to the help of the Gallery Developer who has been fantastic in helping with this conversion (lots of errors which have come mainly from the other software but he is stepping up and getting us out of trouble).

Please note that although we do aim to back up properly - any image that is important to you should also be backed up at your end just to be doubly sure.

cheers
Leah

Leah,

Thank you and your Gallery Developer guru for your time and effort.

I have backups of my photos, so it wasn't a major drama, if I lost them for good. I may now list your id number to my photo, so if this happens in the future, I will know which photo belongs to which id.

Wayne.

Thank God, you didn't lose this photo. 1971Sharyn and I would have be absolutely devastated.   ;D
This picture is probably the reason why Shaz hasn't logged on since last September.  ;D

« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 03:56:36 PM by snowman3195 »
Wayne and Marg
www.frostysaussieadventures.com
Former Members of Mordialloc Lapidary club.

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker