collapse

Author Topic: Using the NEW Media Gallery  (Read 9020 times)

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Using the NEW Media Gallery
« on: March 18, 2015, 05:48:58 PM »
We have installed a new Gallery (March 2015) so please see below for instructions on how to use:

To view the Gallery:
Click the Gallery button towards the right hand side of top menu bar next to login button - see photo

If you are not logged in, you can see the thumbnail pictures but you will be asked to login to view the full size image and any associated details/comments.  At this page, there are two boxes showing the 4 most recent images plus the 4 most recently commented images - in both cases, you can click "List All" to view the entire gallery in order from most recent.  Clicking "List All" works if you are not logged in but you cannot view full image until you log in (by request of some of our members).

Further down this page, you can see the User Galleries (personal albums posted by our members) and the Public Galleries.

Working with your Gallery:
For this, you need to be logged in. For the purposes of illustration, I have logged in as MakkyBrown to show you the options (as administrator I have a few extras which can be confusing).

I have circled in red, the main Gallery menu options to allow you to upload photos and work with the gallery.  Click on the "MyGallery" to see your Member Gallery page - if you have created more than one album, all of these will be shown here - you can re-order, delete or edit them as needed from here. Click on "MyImages" to see ALL of your photos.

Note that in this view, you will see two extra buttons called "My Watch List" and "Who is Watching Me" - when you view a photo by any particular member, you have the option of subscribing to all of their future gallery posts (more on this later) so these links will show who you are subscribed to and who is subscribed to you.

Within this page, you can also click the "Unviewed" button to see ALL photos (posted by anyone) that you have not yet viewed.  The Search function is accessed here as well.

At the bottom of the MyGallery page, there is another button called "Add Category" - this is the one if you want to add a new album to YOUR gallery.  New Public Galleries (albums) need to be added by administrators but you can add albums (categories) to your User Gallery.  At the bottom, you can click to view all the User Galleries (Member Albums).

Posting a photo:
Click the "Add Picture" button to upload a photo.

Here you can choose whether to post your image to one of the public galleries or one of your own User Galleries (Member Album) by selecting the appropriate option from either of the two drop down menus - click the Add button and it will take you to the upload page.  Enter in all the details - please add some description as this helps others find your image via search in the future (search will not find it if no details have been added).  Submit by clicking "Add Picture" button.

You can also choose to be notified if someone comments on your photo - this option is ticked by default so untick this if you do not want these email notifications.  This feature has been requested by some of our members.

Posting a video:
Posting a video is much the same.  EXCEPT I recommend you use the YouTube link option as it will save on space on our server. Just copy/paste the YouTube link to the video into the relevant box and it will appear straight away. You can directly upload but we are asking you not to do that if there is another hosting option to save on space for your photos.

Viewing Photos:
The Image Details page allows you to see the full size image and comment, rate or link to the picture.

From the Main Gallery page with thumbnails of the image, you can click on any of them to see the Image Details page.  From here you can comment on any of the photos (at bottom of the page).  There will be an "Add Comment" button AND a quick comment box at the bottom (existing comments will be between these two sections).  Use the quick comment box for a quick reply or if you want all the buttons, emoticons, etc, then use the "Add Comment" button.

Use the "Notify Member Updates" button at the top if you want to SUBSCRIBE to that particular member's future gallery posts - there may be some members who you want to keep track of when they post new photos - this feature will do that.

Here you can also rate photos (1 to 5 stars) and use the provided links to full size image, thumbnail, direct link or image source html link.  To put a thumbnail in a forum message like I have done here, use the Second BB thumbnail image code.
-----------------

That should cover the basics of using the new Gallery.  If you have any queries or suggestions, please let me know.

cheers
Leah (admin)

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Re: Using the NEW Media Gallery
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 01:22:46 PM »
When I did the instructions for the new Gallery,  I think I neglected to explain how to get your Gallery Images into a message post on the forum.

Simply use any of the BB linking Codes provided with each image (shown in the photo):

The one I have used here is the 3rd Medium Image code - this one gives a good sized image for your message and allows people to click on it to go to the Gallery Item.

The 2nd Thumbnail works similarly but is smaller - I find it a bit small but if you want to add a lot of images into a post, this one might be better.

The Direct Link and HTML link are used if you want to link to this image from elsewhere on the web - ie. as with any image hosting service.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

xcvator

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:29 AM »
I'm a simpleton, this seems very complicated to me if I have this right   :'(

If I want to put up a post in whatever subject with photo's, I 1st have to upload them to a gallery.
Then I have to create my post and click "add picture"
Then I have to find my gallery and "BBCode" and enter that somewhere, am I right so far and there is no way to insert a photo directly into the post ?
cheers Keith

xcvator

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 02:51:02 PM »
Der, I think I've worked it out   ::)

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket