collapse

Author Topic: Annoyed  (Read 11016 times)

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
Annoyed
« on: April 19, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »
Turned up at Lowmead early this morning to find that quite some digging has been done recently - and something of a mess had been left as well. Alcohol cans, plastic cups, foil packages, disposable nappies - just dumped here even though it would have been so easy to take their rubbish with them >:(.

Lowmead is my ONLY close handy fossicking opportunity and if people start going there and treating the site like a rubbish dump, it's only a matter of time before the owner closes the dig site.

I'm sure that ALF members would not do such a thing but it only takes a few inconsiderate clots to ruin everything. I cleaned up the rubbish left on one side of the track, ktmman who was there as well  picked up some more over the other side.

I'm pretty bloody annoyed about it and I have to wonder if I might have been in some way responsable by drawing attention to a place that seemed to have been largely forgotten since the heyday of it's popularity in the 1970's and 80's.

FFS, it isn't hard to just bag you rubbish and take it away with you >:(

MALACHI

• ALF'er VIP
  • Live long and prospect
Re: Annoyed
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:49:15 PM »
I would be annoyed too Lefty. There is no excuse not bag and remove your rubbish. Sadly there is always going to be a small percentage of irresponsible litterers that just don't give a poop about the environment or other peoples property.  >:( :(

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »
It just peeves me Malachai. It only takes one person doing the wrong thing to ruin it for hundreds of others doing the right thing. The crystal occurrence extends beyond the dig site but a friend of ktmman's spoke to a nearby property owner and nobody wants another dig site on their property. Part of it will be the holes dug all over the place which is fair enough if you don't want that on your property but some of it will certainly be the mess left behind in the past. I have excavated plenty of rubbish left behind by others!

ktmman

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:33:01 PM »
I removed a bag of other peoples rubbish when I left, and will do it every time I go if it means the property owner is happy for us to continue aerating his ground for him  :D
It only takes half a minute , some people are just lazy bastards.
Insert [Funny Text] here!

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 10:08:51 PM »
Exactly. They should just stay home and litter their own place.

Did my departure bring you any luck? :)

Crystaliz

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 06:21:46 AM »
Even in the creeks where l go same thing....l have brought rubbish home from other people

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 07:36:04 AM »
Unfortunately trash is what happens when dropkicks hit a fossicking spot or a camping spot. Hard to educate them.  >:(  Usually opportunists not real fossickers.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 02:08:56 PM »
Yep, same down the Lune, some people just don't care leaving litter(one fossicker must leave a plastic water bottle every time they go). Must of been even worse years ago given the amount I dig up.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 06:20:39 PM »
Yep, same down the Lune, some people just don't care leaving litter(one fossicker must leave a plastic water bottle every time they go). Must of been even worse years ago given the amount I dig up.

Yep, I'd reckon it would have been worse in the 70's, people just threw their rubbish out of car windows as they drove along. I've excavated a significant amount of junk, much of which is old beer cans of drops no longer made.

But it's so easy to just take it away that there really isn't any excuse for leaving crap lying around everywhere.

Speckee

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »
Since when don't you go to a public fossicking area and NOT find other peoples crap everywhere? I cant recall the last time I went anywhere when I didn't have more garbage than what I came in with...Why do ya think I have the sig I do?...that's what inspired me.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 12:35:02 PM »
Since when don't you go to a public fossicking area and NOT find other peoples crap everywhere? I cant recall the last time I went anywhere when I didn't have more garbage than what I came in with...Why do ya think I have the sig I do?...that's what inspired me.

First time I've seen fresh rubbish scattered around at that spot - have dug up plenty of 70's-style bottles and beer cans buried decades ago.

We need a big purple hippo to go round handing out ass-whoopings to those who treat our fossicking areas as rubbish dumps :)

JudyC

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 07:30:21 PM »
You only have to drive up the road to see the litter that dropkicks leave. Wonder what their own house looks like.
Cheers
Judy

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 07:46:21 PM »
You only have to drive up the road to see the litter that dropkicks leave. Wonder what their own house looks like.

I'm going back down tomorrow, I hope I don't find what I found last weekend. Will take some plastic bags just in case.

ktmman

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 09:00:05 PM »
Hey Lefty, good luck tomorrow.
Let us know how you go.
Insert [Funny Text] here!

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 08:40:01 PM »
Not much luck today Richard. Couple of bits, one quite large but specimen grade only. There's always next time :P :)

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]

The illusion of cubes by RoughCreations