collapse

Author Topic: New Nthn NSW fossicker - what am I trying to do/ Ewingar state forest trip.  (Read 5362 times)

Andypan

Hey guys,
Im a relatively new fossicker living on the north coast wondering about my approach to spots and fossicking. Bear with me, im a novice, but im trying to get my head in the game. I've had a bit of success, mostly randomly checking out creeks when im down for a dip, and my keeping my eye on the ground when im going for a walk, but recently ive been trying to understand how to look for the things I want to find. This is mostly semi precious stuff, quartz and the like. I went out to Ewingar state forest a few weeks ago and had an absolute ball, we drove as far as we could on the track, clearing fallen trees from the recent storms off the track by hand. We managed to fit the car under a tree fallen across the track and made it a bit further up to where there was a whopper fallen directly across the road. We camped and went hiking up in the hills the next morning for half the day, looking through creeks near the track (just for stuff on the surface) and on the track while we walked. Found one little smokey (single terminated) on the track and some greenish calcitey looking quartzy stuff (no idea). Then we went back to the entrance to the forest and down to the water points that are signed for a look. We didnt do any digging or run anything through a seive, just looking closely in the creek beds (pretty dry). Can anyone give me direction on what I should be digging through, or if looking around should be sufficient. Also any direction on where these seemingly elusive smokeys are hiding would be amazing. Hows the scenery out there?! I was by no means disappointed but would like to come back with a few more shiny silica stones next time. Any pointers for a new fossicker or spots to give a go for the stuff Im after would be great.
Cheers guys,
Andy

jasonr

• ALF'er Gold Member
Yeah I would be interested in this as well :)
Any help anyone ... ?

Cheers
 Jason R
I dont care if the glass is half full or half empty.
Drink whats left or throw it away.
Either way stop staring at the damn thing !

jasonr

• ALF'er Gold Member
Although for both you and I Andypan .... Have you read this topic :)

http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4690.0

Everything you want to know about Ewingar ;)
I dont care if the glass is half full or half empty.
Drink whats left or throw it away.
Either way stop staring at the damn thing !

Andypan

Cheers Jasonr,
Many questions answered, especially about the creek systems.
Hopefully forestry clear the trees from the road soon so I can get back out there!

Bush bunny

• ALF'er Silver Member
 beers Hi NSWelshman.  I live in Armidale and new to this forum too. I have been interested in rocks, geology etc., and gems for a half century. Now my studies are over, I turned to making fossiking one of my hobbies.  I joined the New England Lapidary and Fossiking Club in Uralla, and went on one of their trips.  I would advise you get some books that concentrate on Australia gemstones.  I bought two from the library for a few dollars years ago.  Also - I bought the Dictionary of Australian gemstones for $20 from a second hand book store by Bill Myatt but I like the N & R Perry books too. While I was reading one, it suggested looking in old mining dumps, and also on the coast in run off creeks, the beach and nearby sand dunes where some stones have been washed up and remain not disturbed by tidal currents.   I'm sure there is a local club you can join. State forests are good too
but you require a permit, that costs only 27 bucks for a year.  Of course the New England area is famous for gem stones. The region you get the permit is separated into three regions, I got the middle, but there are others. That covers two adults and two children.  But fossiking and lapidary clubs generally have workshops with equipment that is generally very expensive to own and someone experienced to identify finds if you are unsure.  Best of luck and keep your eyes on the ground.  PS. I learned National Parks are a NO NO. There are some restrictions on Crown Land and privately owned farms, etc, without specific permission from the owner.  But State forests sometimes have mining dumps to fossick in. And although not an expert myself, generally water is not too far away.

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]

The illusion of cubes by RoughCreations