collapse

Author Topic: Willoughby Design (Mudtank)  (Read 6769 times)

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
Willoughby Design (Mudtank)
« on: June 09, 2015, 08:36:26 PM »
Just about to make up a medium sized(40cm diameter sieves) willoughby(spelling?). I have already made the sieve holder and have a large plastic tub, pinched a few springs off the kids tramp ;d and will use scrap steel lying around . Interested in any tips and tricks to make a willoughby work well. I have a few question if anyone can help. The sieve does it just sit in the cradle or is it strapped to it? I've never used a one how much spring distance do you use when shaking it?  What's a good work high for the arm ? Is there a certain action that sort/washes fastest and any other info from those experienced would be great. 
I'll be using it at Mudtank, what sort of mesh sizes work best for zircons. Wondering if I should use 4mm or 6mm as my smallest.  Thinking I might do a rough sort on a large sieve table then tip into the sieves to wash etc.

Cheers
Andrew
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:39:06 PM by MakkyBrown »

Aussie Sapphire

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Sapphire
    • Email
Re: Willoughby Design (Mudtank)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 07:35:01 AM »
Presume you have seen these instructions by Sandgroper:

http://www.aussiesapphire.com/ALF_Storage/BuildingWilloughby.pdf

May help with dimensions.  We tend not to use willoughbys too much down this way but I expect you do need to secure the sieve as you are moving it up and down in the water fairly vigorously to imitate the pulsator action so I think would work best when not moving around too much.

But will leave it to others more experienced with the gadgets to reply in more detail.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Rusted

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 07:58:07 AM »
I'm certainly no expert on Willoughbys, Mine is pretty much the same as the photos in that thread that Leah posted.
You quickly pick up on the right action when using the thing, too vigorous and you end up tipping your sieve out of its cradle (not fixed in ) and everything in the bottom of your tub. Enough action to have everything suspended on the down stroke to allow the heavies to get to the bottom but not too vigorous that you churn everything, thats about it.
Sieve size is not too important at Mud Tank, you aren't attempting to catch the tiny pieces like you would at the Saphire fields.
Give specking a go too, and go over the same piece of ground at different times of day, Zircon really shines when the sun hits it at the right angle, you can completely miss a piece in the morning and then its shining like crazy an hour later.

Paul

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:42:44 AM »
Thanks Leah and Rusted, I'd seen the pdf but was about to search for it again so you saved me the trouble :). That willoughby has lots of adjustment hole so will build mine with roughly same adjustments that way it should work.
I'm thinking a bungie strap over the sieve might work and will use 1/4 inch mesh sieves.

Cheers
Andrew

Dig-in

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 02:12:24 PM »
Hi Andrew, I have been using a Willoughby at Qld Gemfields for the last few years & have never found an issue with the sieves coming out of their cradle. They tend to lift slightly on the down stroke but the up & down motion you require is not that savage to cause any issues. I  made my own Willoughby after searching for any picture or drawing I could find on the internet which as you may have already found was not a lot. My unit is based on the drawing by Sandgroper also but a different approach, ( I have attached a photo but this will probably not show up straight away until OK'd by ALF. I have been a member for quite a while but have never had much to contribute.) As I have access to a welder I welded what I could rather than bolts. I just used bolts on items which would need to be disassembled for transport. I use a 1/2 plastic 205L drum as my water container & even this can fill with mud after a couple of days which requires emptying & refilling with water. Initially I had a base similar to drawing with a suitable bolt welded to it to mount the upright on, I have used round pipe for upright & handle. I now have a short piece of a star picket as the base with a flat plate & the vertical bolt welded to that. The height & dimensions are also similar to Sandgropers & I find it suitable for myself (over 6ft) & my wife & 11 jr old son. The actual setup dimensions for the spring will be dependant on the weight of the cradle & the loaded sieves/sieves this is why they are usually made with a few adjustable positions. A rough setup to get a mid way position & some adj spots either way will cover most situations. The diameter of the water container governs the distance the cradle is mounted from the pivot point. I have found that if the spring (Trampoline mat springs are ideal) has enough tension to start extending when loaded this is about right. The operation of the willoughby is to push down lightly to dunk the sieves & let the spring do the upstroke. You control how much the sieves come up by keeping the weight of your hand on the handle. I would usually roll the stones around in the top sieve by hand a little after a couple of dunks to help clean them if required. This assists the smaller stones to fall thru to the lower sieve if you are using 1. We are chasing sapphires so we use 1/8 & 1/4 sieves. When sieving I start with a little harsher bouncing to get everything settled & cleaned , then tend to gentle off a little. I feel that when you have the concentric rings occurring this is a good motion to finish off with. I hope this has been helpful as I have picked up a lot of good tips on this site from other generous ALFers like yourself .
Cheers
Brett

Dig-in

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 02:17:05 PM »
Sorry this photo did not attach first time. Brett

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 07:31:27 PM »
Sorry this photo did not attach first time. Brett
Thanks Brett, great info, much appreciated beers. Thanks for the measurement as I'll weld a fare bit of mine aswell, tossing up about going for the star picket or base. Picket looks quicker to make and easier to pack, might weld the picket onto a 10mm thick base that I can bash without bending much. 
I'll post a pic of my effort tomorrow, won't be as refined as yours or Sandgropers but will hopefully do the job. Got some old sieving gravel here I haven't sorted so will test it with that to see if the spring is strong enough.

Cheers
Andrew

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
pinched a few springs off the kids tramp ;d

Cheers
Andrew

oh have you darling! will let the kids know so they don't fall through.

Mrs MakkyBrown
 ;) ;D >:( :o

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 04:56:49 PM »
 ;D ;D use mine everywhere  water is... good way of sorting out material and if you are in a gold area just pan off the drum after  ;D ;D even used at emerald mine at Torrington.. you can move some dirt using one that's for sure  ;D ;D just byo water :( :(
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 04:38:14 PM »
Here it is, made from scraps around the place + a few more springs from the kids tramp as I lost the first two I pulled off it. Pole sleeves onto the base.
I needed the extra springs to hold the weight of a loaded 40cm sieve nicely. Farout these work well, I was thinking they would be no where as good and working a sieve by hand but shaking the handle doesn't feel far off how I normally work a sieve.  I can see this getting a lot of use looking for sapphires awsell.  My test gravel concentrated the little spinel,sapphire, zircon and topaz nicely.
Thanks everyone for your replies.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 04:55:10 PM by MakkyBrown »

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »
 :) :) Good job.....all you need now is a nice soft pushbike handle grip and you can willowaway the day  :D :D
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

MALACHI

• ALF'er VIP
  • Live long and prospect
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 07:25:39 PM »
Looks good, now to christen it! Good luck!

Malachi   beers

Dig-in

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 09:50:46 PM »
Well done. She looks the goods. beers  . Nothing like the satisfaction of making something yourself to help you find your shiny stones.
Good luck with your next trip.

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 11:53:06 PM »
Well done. She looks the goods. beers  . Nothing like the satisfaction of making something yourself to help you find your shiny stones.
Good luck with your next trip.
Thanks dig-in, I like building my own equipment ;D Really looking forward to giving it a workout at Mudtank.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 08:05:35 AM by MakkyBrown »

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Gemmasta GFE3 Manuals by MakkyBrown
[November 12, 2019, 08:16:44 PM]

lamberts by Tailor marc
[November 12, 2019, 05:47:04 PM]

Upper Bowman Barrington Tops by peter panner
[November 12, 2019, 04:22:38 PM]

carved opal from lighning ridge by Lap2020
[November 11, 2019, 11:33:52 PM]