collapse

Author Topic: Broken Hill Fossicking  (Read 4400 times)

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Curnamona Minerals
    • Email
Broken Hill Fossicking
« on: July 25, 2015, 12:50:59 PM »
Hi All,

I have an update on fossicking around Broken Hill. Unfortunately we had a visitor come to Broken Hill at the end of last year and did the wrong thing.

The story I have heard is as follows: This person went out to a location on spec and came to a locked gate. They then rang the property owner and asked for a key and got the expected response of "GTF off my property". The issue is that MY NAME was used as the person who supplied the information given about where to fossick.

As a result I am no longer welcome on this property and that has got me really annoyed as it has taken me 15 years to get the access I had up to October last year. I now have a big bridge to re-build thanks to one inconsiderate person who was effectively trespassing. >:(

If any ALFers know who this person was or can give me more details about their conversation with the landholder in question, I would like to know.

One of the MUST DO's that I always say to anyone wanting to fossick around Broken Hill is that you must get permission PRIOR TO going out to any station.

What this means is I am now reluctant to help out any visitors to Broken Hill who want to go fossicking. I cannot give out directions to people that I do not personally know, especially if I'm not sure that they will follow simple etiquette when it comes to station owners. 

I'm sorry that it has come to this but what else can I do?  :(

Trev
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:30:36 PM by darttrev68 »
Cheers, from my little piece of the Australian Outback...
For mineral samples from the Broken Hill, Olary and Mount Painter districts checkout my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/curnamonaminerals

stevepie1

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Broken Hill Fossicking
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
I'm terribly sorry to hear about that Trev.I'm afraid you still can't put brains in pumpkins.I have spoken to a bloke who will only let a select group of people on his property,what they do is they have told the property owner that they will ring with the rego number of the car's or car going to the property and names .If they don't match with the vehicle's it's GTF off the property..he uses a codeword with the only caller that can phone him..I don't know how that would work with you,but this farmer has not had any problems with fools in the 3years they have been doing it..hope this might help with some future arrangements.....Steve

MALACHI

• ALF'er VIP
  • Live long and prospect
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 05:24:13 PM »
Very disappointing to read this post Trevor!  :(  I'm sure the gate was locked for a very good reason.  ::)  Here's hoping the landowner will in a short time realise and understand the harshness of his reaction towards locking you out from entering his property.

You can't help being a known local who happens to be the President of the Broken Hill Mineral Club; it would have been so easy just to drop your name. Good luck with the bridge mending.  ;)

Mario   beers

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 05:44:39 PM »
Very well said Malachi and I will second that statement  beers

Very disappointing to read this post Trevor!  :(  I'm sure the gate was locked for a very good reason.  ::)  Here's hoping the landowner will in a short time realise and understand the harshness of his reaction towards locking you out from entering his property.

You can't help being a known local who happens to be the President of the Broken Hill Mineral Club; it would have been so easy just to drop your name. Good luck with the bridge mending.  ;)

Mario   beers
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Curnamona Minerals
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 05:53:33 PM »
This is one of those locations that a lot of people ask me about. When I tell them that they need permission, I direct them to the local phone book (or google) to get the details to contact the landholder. Apparently this person quoted that they got the contact phone number from me and thats why I'm not in favour with the landholder. If this person had contacted the landholder BEFORE trying to go out to the station, it might have been different. The landholder could easily have said no over the phone and end of story. A lot of landholders do not let individuals on their properties due to insurance. Clubs on the other hand often get access as they are covered by insurance and are usually happy to sign indemnity agreements.
For mineral samples from the Broken Hill, Olary and Mount Painter districts checkout my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/curnamonaminerals

stevepie1

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 06:23:29 PM »
Yes, when you say you are covered by your club insurance ,it seems to make a difference ,not all the time but quite a few times.even when 2 or 3 of us go fossicking we can ok it with the club as a recon mission ,so we are covered by their insurance..

dughug

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 07:43:06 PM »
Trevor it is very disappointing that there are a few "collectors" out there who do the wrong thing. We witnessed that on a trip that you ran recently when another interstate visitor who joined us appeared more interested in sourcing locations than participating as part of our group. Even the way they departed for the journey home was reckless and potentially dangerous to the fossickers that waited on the side of the road to depart together in case there were problems getting out due to very heavy rain.

The Broken Hill Lapidary Club and yourself have worked tirelessly to get access to some fantastic collecting locations and have always been willing to share their knowledge with joint fieldtrips etc.

I sincerely hope you can re-build the bridges that have been damaged. I fully understand your reluctance to share your knowledge in the future as we do have a few greedy collectors out there.

Lets hope the message gets out there and we can all play a part in keeping sites accessible by doing the right thing.

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Curnamona Minerals
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 08:43:08 PM »
Yes Doug, Unfortunately there are a number of gung-ho collectors out there who don't realise the problems they cause. They are present in every club and are usually the ones you wish, as the field officer, can't make it on the weekend of the field trip. The best we can do is keep them on a short leash and make sure they follow the fossicking "code of ethics". Their main problem is that their greed overrides their common sense and they don't know when to stop.

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Crystalite Oxylaps by Prooz
[October 29, 2020, 08:26:46 PM]

Polishing Quartz with diamond by Faceting Frank
[October 26, 2020, 05:13:40 PM]

Home made composite laps by FlashGP
[October 22, 2020, 06:51:00 PM]

US Facetors Guild annual competition by FlashGP
[October 22, 2020, 09:06:34 AM]