collapse

Author Topic: Gemmasta Encoder Mod Thread  (Read 65935 times)

Quentin

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Re: Gemmasta Encoder Mod Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 07, 2017, 05:15:01 PM »
Hi MakkyBrown
Did you ever get the serial screen to work with the "nano" it would certainly tidy the whole encoder project up.
I was thinking of rebuilding mine...Need to get rid of the "rats nest"
Regards Quentin

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #121 on: September 07, 2017, 09:12:11 PM »
Not yet, upgraded to 5000cpr but working ok so haven't. (new power supply sorted the screen not starting problem). Email sent with info that might help.

MB
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:05:22 PM by MakkyBrown »

jaseee

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2018, 01:03:26 AM »
Hey guys, I've been reading tom herbsts book and I'm looking at doing the encoder mod to my halls xtra. Any hints and tips before i start buying all the parts. Think I'm going to go the us digital E5 encoder cpr 5000 just not sure on the bore, base packing options

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2018, 08:42:48 AM »
Hey guys, I've been reading tom herbsts book and I'm looking at doing the encoder mod to my halls xtra. Any hints and tips before i start buying all the parts. Think I'm going to go the us digital E5 encoder cpr 5000 just not sure on the bore, base packing options
Digikey has free shipping over $60aud. The clip-on ones are good but I wouldn't want to be pulling them off/on frequently if at all. The others might need a line receiver, you'll have to check the model number for what they actually are. Use a serial screen, don't bother with doc, target angle, or second screen. Add rpm. Put an emi filter on faceting machine and use decoupling capacitors + ferite magnets on encoder box/cables. Don't bother using the same screen library or fonts as Tom, way out of date.

https://www.digikey.com.au/products/en/sensors-transducers/encoders/507?k=encoder&k=&pkeyword=encoder&pv395=48&FV=fffc0204%2C6240001%2Cffe001fb%2Ca4019b&mnonly=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:53:34 AM by MakkyBrown »

Quentin

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2018, 12:40:52 PM »
I know this is a bit late...i haven't been on this forum for some.
I have done the encoder trick on the hall Xtra and on the gemmasta. Got the details if you need a hand.
Quentin

marcusfri

« Reply #125 on: November 27, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »
Quentin,

I have started the journey. Any help would be appreciated with 1) the programming and 2) getting a new arbor machined. This I will need to out source as I do not have access to a lathe.

Thanks in advance.

Marcus

marcusfri

« Reply #126 on: November 27, 2018, 02:12:03 PM »
I will post some more information of where I am up to when I get home. I am using an arduino as the main platform.

Marcus. 

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2018, 11:54:23 PM »
Welcome Marcusfri, happy to help. :)

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #128 on: December 16, 2018, 10:03:55 AM »
Hi Makky, I haven't gone down the path of digitising my machine yet, since the Facetron has dial up angles, I haven't been bothered as I have printed a 1/100th scale that works ok. 

But I am thinking of making a tacco for the lap speed.  As my machine's speed seems way faster than most.  Minimum speed is about 60 to 100 rpm.  I am not sure if I am exceeding the maximum RPM on some of my laps. 

How did you implement the RPM counter on your conversion?
Have you found it useful?

The alternative is to use a strobe to measure/check lap speed at the dial settings and mark the position of the maximum lap speeds on my dial.

regards
Flash

Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2018, 11:18:53 AM »
Hi Makky, I haven't gone down the path of digitising my machine yet, since the Facetron has dial up angles, I haven't been bothered as I have printed a 1/100th scale that works ok. 

But I am thinking of making a tacco for the lap speed.  As my machine's speed seems way faster than most.  Minimum speed is about 60 to 100 rpm.  I am not sure if I am exceeding the maximum RPM on some of my laps. 

How did you implement the RPM counter on your conversion?
Have you found it useful?

The alternative is to use a strobe to measure/check lap speed at the dial settings and mark the position of the maximum lap speeds on my dial.

regards
Flash

Flash,
I am using a hall effect sensor and 4 magnets at 90 degree intervals. Pretty easy to do and I think my son might of even written some better rpm code than mine that is being used on the teams motor test rig. I am bit busy with other stuff atm but could help you make something when I have time. You could probably make something up with about $10 of parts.
Do I use the rpm ? No :), I don't really care about laps speed and go with what sounds about right, and crank up the speed when polishing. Still good project and a good introduction to arduino if you decide to make one.
Cheers
MB

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2018, 09:03:35 AM »
Hi Makky,

I might take you up on that.  I haven't played with electronics for over 25 years. And it is over 30 years since I did any hex programming.

My latest project was a twin 10 amp 12v supply for my concave prototype.  It is really just a 25a 12v swich mode supply with 2 speed controllers.  Way over rated for my motors but enough grunt to drive a couple of 90w motors in need.

I hadn't thought of hall effect sensors.  My thought was to drill a hole through the drive pully and use an opto coupler with a counter with a 1hz window before it resets.

Regards
Flash
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #131 on: December 17, 2018, 11:12:28 AM »
Hi Makky,

I might take you up on that.  I haven't played with electronics for over 25 years. And it is over 30 years since I did any hex programming.

My latest project was a twin 10 amp 12v supply for my concave prototype.  It is really just a 25a 12v swich mode supply with 2 speed controllers.  Way over rated for my motors but enough grunt to drive a couple of 90w motors in need.

I hadn't thought of hall effect sensors.  My thought was to drill a hole through the drive pully and use an opto coupler with a counter with a 1hz window before it resets.

Regards
Flash

Did you see these pics ? I'm sure you can do a tidier job. Use nice thin magnets.
How big a display do you want? You don't need a sensor board like the one picture, you just need the sensor and a pullup(maybe down have to check) 10k resistor.  Might also be worth putting a 0.1uf decoupling capacitor across the +ve  -ve of the sensor, probably also between -ve and output. Hall effects sensor work really nicely. Just need a bit of filter code to remove any flicker when switching. Then either count the activations over a time period or measure the time between activations to get rpm. 

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #132 on: December 17, 2018, 06:59:43 PM »
Thanks Makky.  Wil follow up once I finish the Christmass presents and then my prototype concave facetor.  Mrs Flash put her foot down and requires the presents finished first. But getting close to finishing the project.

Had thought of patenting the design, but would have to sell 100 units just to cover the cost of the Australuan patent, let alone foreign patents.  It'll be easier to make the design public and try to claim copyright to the designs.  Given I don't know how durable the motors are, not having to worry about warranties is a plus.  At under $20 they are cheap enough to replace.

Regards
Gordon

Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Hatchetwarrior

Re: Gemmasta Encoder Mod Thread revival
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2020, 12:52:49 PM »
Hey everyone sorry to dig this back up but I'm looking at buying a brand new machine and I either want to start digital or get as much digital as I can I'm going to purchase the book so I know more before I spend any money on a faceting machine. Sorry if I should of started a new thread.

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker