collapse

Author Topic: Mesh  (Read 12469 times)

Madden

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Mesh
« on: September 25, 2015, 09:19:51 PM »
Hi all,

Just wondering where everyone buys fine mesh from.
 I am wanting to make a few things like a throw sieve but living in Blackwater  the 2 mitre 10 stores dont have fine enough mesh. And ebay will be expensive and im yet to figure out the sizeing chart. Lol

And help would be great

Thanks

Rick

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
Re: Mesh
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 10:16:02 PM »
I've used 6.5mm and 12mm mesh from Bunnings for sieves and sieve tables. It is only galvanized light gauge but is pretty strong and lasts a good while.  Comes in 5m rolls for about $20.
Cheers
Andrew

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 11:32:10 PM »
G-day Madden, You could try your local steel supplier... there must be some in your area or Sheet-metal Workshops, they sometimes have some too....

Gemster...... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Madden

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 06:41:17 AM »
Thanks guys

I have looked at the gal mesh but its not fine enough.  I plan on ringing the steel shops on monday.  Hopfully they will have something.

Cheers

Rick

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 07:47:33 AM »
Probably more likely at a general fabrication type sheetmetal shop than a shop that makes aircon ducts and flashings. More likely to pick up a piece closer to the size you need too rather than a full sheet.

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
  • Experience you get - just after you needed it
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 08:24:03 AM »
Have never had any luck with the steel shops in Emerald. The hardware in Sapphire usually stocks 2mm and 25mm, these being the primary meshes used on trommels out here.

Might have better luck in Rocky.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 08:25:38 AM by Bluey Zarzoff »
I started out with nothing
And still have most of it left.

-----------------------------------
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Madden

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:36:49 AM »
Thanks Bluey and Rusted.

Ill definitely give the hardware in saphire a call. Just have to wait till the hobby fund folls up again lol.

Rick

Dig-in

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 11:40:39 AM »
Hi Madden,
I have no idea what some of the suppliers are selling on the web as descriptions are all over the place some are wire size & some a mesh size. Photos are usually an example of style not actual mesh size.
 I have been able to get 3/16 (space between wires) woven mesh from McGinns Eng in Mackay. They usually carry a couple of different sizes but that is the smallest. Maybe $50/m from memory.
I have made a throw screen with that. The primary 20mm mesh can also be picked up as second hand cargo barrier for vehicles. This is much tougher mesh than you can buy. Most have rect mesh but some are square. I picked up 1 from local recycler.
I found that for a throw screen 3/16 is small enough . I made a shaker sieve from part of a 60L drum with this mesh but found that it stretches & becomes too large. I like to catch the smaller stones as there are more smaller than larger stones & feel that the small sapphires , spinel  give you a sign you are in the right area. It also helps to keep the young fella interested when something shows up.
I have just changed 1 of my shaker sieves to a 2.5mm stainless mesh ( Round holes that means a bit more solid area than woven mesh) which was a guard from an exhaust . This seemed to work well with a little extra working in the sieve.
FYI I have been using a 20mm mesh screen when shovelling from ground bucket to remove the larger stones at the dig point. No need to carry rubbish out of the hole. NOTE I always check the 20mm prior to tipping out. You never know what might show up. Then I put thru shaker. I found this easy system to use & more versatile when you come across different ground types than the throw screen, you can work a little more in the shaker if needed. The throw screen works very well in sand/stone or dry dirt/stone but struggles if the ground is clayey or lumpy.

Good luck with your search.
Regards
Brett

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 12:42:56 PM »
Just wondering why the extra small mesh (2-2.5mm) seems popular, I've been using 3mm for sapphires and even at 3mm they are pretty small and wouldn't cut much of a stone. I was thinking 3mm was too small and was thinking about going bigger. Down here you get heaps in the 3mm to use as an indicator, but not much in a 4mm though. Maybe 3.5mm could be good.
Cheers
Andrew

Dig-in

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 02:36:58 PM »
Hi Andrew,
 3mm woven mesh would be perfect but I have not been able to locate up here. I came across this old guard which had 2.5mm holes & thought I would give a try. I was happy with the result  :) . It is also very sturdy & has not deformed like the 3/16 mesh. The small sapphires are not much good for anything but encouragement unfortunately but once thru the Willoughby takes no extra sorting as the small sieve is 3mm & anything smaller will go thru that. So I would rather use 2.5mm than 5mm when removing dirt.
 beers
Brett

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 02:51:58 PM »
Hi Brett,

I didn't realize it was so hard to get, I was lucky to get some stainless 3mm free awhile ago, wasn't alot and only enough for two sieves. 
Heading off looking for some sapphires in creeks next week, currently deciding which sieves to use. I have been using a stack of 3, not sure what to use. Have got 3,4,6.5,12,25mm. 4 is too large for the bottom sieve. I have been using 3,4,25mm, thinking I might change 3,6.5,25.

Cheers

Andrew

drdjw

• ALF'er Bronze Member
  • Mad keen sapphire hunter!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
Locker Group did a good deal for some woven wire mesh that I bought once and I got it delivered for cheaper than the local steel merchant.

http://www.locker.com.au/

Dig-in

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 04:16:56 PM »
I would think that 3,6.5,25 would be a fair mix. That would give some clear difference between 2nd & 3rd sieve. What gets thru the 6mm mesh is generally smallish but can still be a nice stone.
25mm to 6.5mm would put a lot of large stone on your 6mm sieve. It could be worth using the 12mm also if they stack. You would not want to hide that nice 5mm stone under a 25mm piece of rock.
My primary sieve is 20mm & the rocks that get thru there can be a bit too large if their happens to be a lot around that size.
Of course it also depends on what you are sieving . If a major amount of your material is 3-6mm that may not suit. Quite often I would only check the 3mm sieve every second time as there is not so much small stone. If you are digging creek beds you may have a lot more smaller stone. I have dry sieved a bit in gullies when specking & you do get a lot of small stone in some of the likely looking spots.
Good luck next week.
See attached photo of some of the clearer sapphires from recent trip to Tomahawk Ck. The green near the 8 is just under 6 ct.
Cheers

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 07:06:28 PM »
That green one looks a nice stone.  beers
What I've been doing is having a second sieve of the smallest size i'm using on the bank and keep tipping what's in my smallest seive into it. When it's full, I'll concentrate/work it and push off the bulk of the gravel by hand then continue tipping into it. At the end of the day I'll take home the concentrate and go though it. Save heaps of time and lets you do a lot more digging by not going though the smallest sieve till you get home.
Cheers
Andrew

Dig-in

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 06:13:41 PM »
Thanks Andrew,
 Looks like you have an efficient system worked out.
I am presuming you have water in the creek where you are digging & working the sieve in the water.
Are you close enough to destination to do weekend trips or are you planning a longer run?
Have a good one
Brett

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations