Author Topic: Mesh  (Read 7373 times)

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mesh
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
It's just a bit far for a w/end as it take about 4hours. I'm going to make the most of school holidays, get my son off minecraft and get him working in a creek for 4 days solid ;D I'd love to find a couple of nice sapphires to cut, I've not been having much luck but have some new ideas on where to look.

Cheers
Andrew

Dig-in

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 08:08:42 PM »
Hi Andrew,
 You have similar travel time to myself so yeah you have to make a trip out of it.
It can sometimes be harder to get the kids away from the computer than it is to find sapphires.
All the best with your trip & hope you do find something nice.
Don't make the young fella work to hard though he is on holidays too.
Good luck
Brett

mangomick

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 12:58:31 PM »
G'Day Brett
That "greenie" looks like a nice stone in your photo. Have you been back digging around that tree again? You didn't happen to run into Lance and Barbara from W.A when you were out at Tomahawk Creek  did you? They would have been in a white cruiser wagon and a white jayco camper. They were going to camp down the bottom of the gully and I told him to have a dig in that hole near that tree if they didn't do any good where they were camped.

Dig-in

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 11:11:07 PM »
Hi Mick,
 Yes it may be OK Thanks. I haven't had a real good look at it with the loupe yet though.
We were up over the ridge again & it was very quiet over there. Couple of others there the first couple of days but that was all. Only a few thirsty kangaroos to keep us company as very dry. Usually a good breeze up there so if you keep out of the sun it is reasonably comfortable as pretty warm during the day. We just spent 12 days out there over the school hols. The fossicking area is massive when you have a good look around. We checked out a few different areas & dug a few holes some not very productive . pulled out a big billy about 3ft round but nothing under there but deco. There is lots of wash close to the surface in places as well. Good digging but also not always producing the goods unfortunately.
We had a good time camping out there & may have stayed a few more days but the evening storms were building up so we stuck to plans & got out of there.
We had a few issues. generator was playing up but got that sorted, chainsaw was a bit intermittent.
We went into Sapphire for the market which was a bit quiet on the Sunday. This was the second last 1 for the year. Dropped into the pub at Rubyvale for lunch & had a delicious seafood basket. When we were leaving Michelle noticed she did not have her wallet. I told her I remembered seeing it on the rear step of the cruiser at the shop in Sapphire & did she pick it up. The answer was in the negative! So off we went back to sapphire & every stop we had been to in between. Someone had suggested that if it was picked up on the road it may have been handed at to Rubyvale shop (Just a few doors back from the pub). We gave them a try & sure enough it was there, all intact. Apparently it must have fallen off when we chucked a u turn before lunch. Thank goodness for honest people!
 Did you get out that way this year?
I did see a few guys parking at the start of featherbed run on the way out but I reckon she was getting hotter so better them than me.
Brett

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 08:25:35 AM »
Hi Brett
No nice cutters yet hard to find them in tas. Have one that might star about 20ct it's a very big might. Found some yellow/orangey topaz that should cut some small stones not big but could be pretty. Currently camped at Gladstone and about to try our luck on some smokie quartz  :)
Cheers
Andrew

mangomick

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 09:28:48 AM »
Hi Brett
We were out at featherbed in May with my young bloke and his wife and 1 year old. Did alright. Think I posted a photo in someones thread on here somewhere bit didn't start a separate thread. Then we headed up to obriens ,agate ck and flat ck station.
have been rebuilding my camper since then. Chasis completely broken through and partially broken through in quite a few places. lucky we even got it home. Screws in ply wood floor and a few tacks on the body to frame only thing holding it together.
Young bloke talking about  probably heading  out  around august next year. Just had their second child so by August she should be able to handle camping better.
 We will  go and dig back in featherbed again. little spot there looked promising but we will probably try a few spots up at the oaks. There were a few spots up there where we were specking some nice little stones that would be worth a day or three.
See you out there again one day.
Cheers
Mick

Bluey Zarzoff

• ALF'er VIP
  • Experience you get - just after you needed it
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 11:16:07 AM »
Hi.
In regard to your original question re mesh. I have found a mob in Brissy who supply mesh. I cannot upload their pdf for you here.

The website is http://www.metalmesh.com.au/. Down in the lower right you will see some pdf file downloads. Click on the 'mining and industry' file and you will get a pretty informative file.

I doubt if they will supply bits and pieces but they may be able to put you onto someone who they supply.

Hope it helps.
I started out with nothing
And still have most of it left.

-----------------------------------
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Madden

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 08:12:38 PM »
thanks for the replies guys. sorry I havn't checked the post for a long while. i forget about this site and must check it more often.

its coming back into the season for seeking the elusive gems and i have a criuser now  so more room and my mind is occupied with ideas.

cheers

Madden

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 08:48:04 PM »
 :o How can you forget about us.... ;D

Gemster.... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

ia1nw22

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »
G'day Rick
Don't know if you've got your Mesh yet . But there's an Engineering place in Rubyvale that carries it .
I got some off cuts recently for a project . 4mm x 4mm stainless that will last 4 ever . But it's not cheap .
I think the place is called Rudy's Engineering , just ask at the Hardware or the Shop , they'll head you in the right direction .
Cheers Iain    beers

Madden

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 09:30:40 AM »
 Just life getting in the way Gemster.

Thanks Ian. i asked about a year ago when i was out there. i nearly crapped my self at the price, but it does last.  Ill get there one day.  im sure something will turn up.

Rick

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Faceting rough by Faceting Frank
[October 22, 2019, 09:49:05 PM]

Cessnock Rock Auction, Saturday 2nd November by colza
[October 22, 2019, 07:18:18 AM]

please advise on lap choice by Bucket
[October 21, 2019, 10:14:35 AM]

MB concave build by Faceting Frank
[October 20, 2019, 11:15:18 PM]