collapse

Author Topic: Belgrave Victoria Sapphires  (Read 18381 times)

DB Cooper

Belgrave Victoria Sapphires
« on: March 23, 2016, 01:38:07 PM »
Hi all, This is my first time posting something. Back in 1972 when I was a boy I used to go to Belgrave in Victorias Dandenong Ranges with a mate & pan for Sapphires in a creek close to town, we used to find lots of dark blue Sapphires, does anyone know if they are still found out in those ranges these days? Is fossicking still allowed?.
I wouldn't mind going back in & see if I can locate the spot , I think it was Just under the old Timber Trestle Bridge that Puffing Billy still uses.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Belgrave Victoria Sapphires
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 05:51:52 PM »
Welcome DB Cooper. As a teenager in the early '70's I also sieved for sapphire and zircons in the same area. And yes it was almost directly below the Puffing Billy Trestle bridge. As this spot now falls in the Sherbrooke National Park, any fossicking would be frowned upon and would probably bring a visit from at least a park ranger, if not the local constabulary, which aren't far from there.

If I recall they were small stones and I would imagine that area would have been well dug prior to the national park inclusion. A lot of creeks on that area contain stones but they are generally very small. Cardinia Creek, now below the Cardinia dam was a popular fossicking spot before being dammed with agate, zircon and sapphires being readily available.
Common sense isn't exactly common

DB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 06:10:54 PM »
Thanks Bucket, We might have just missed each other way back then! yes, they were small stones that I also used to find, I remember the running steam was crystal clear & shallow , probably got housing development drainage running into it these days, anyway thanks for the info. As I am getting back into looking for Sapphires ( after a 43 year break), any suggestions on where I Could start?

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 07:43:37 PM »
I'm assuming that you're in Victoria so I'd suggest Ryans Creek, between Mansfield and a little place called Tatong. That's another old one I visited way back and it is mentioned in various publications including Gemstones in Victoria. Last time I went there was early October a couple of years ago and the water was near freezing, so not a lot of effort went in and I didn't stay long. It doesn't look like it was dug a lot.

That about exhausts my knowledge except for Beechworth in Woolshed Creek, but there's a lot a gravel between stones these days. Hopefully someone else may be able to help out. I can highly recommend a holiday north to the New England area in NSW or even further to the Central Queensland gemfields near Emerald, both fantastic areas even just to visit.

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 08:39:53 PM »
DB that part of the creek below the tressle bridge is still technically fossick-able. It is not in the National Park, but very, very close to it. Please treat the area with respect and carefully look at the maps so you know which part of the creek you are in (some parts you are not allowed in due to it being Park). Don't forget your Miners Right.

Having said all that, the stones are tiny and you would do much better at Toombullup (Tolmie), the spot mentioned below by Bucket. If you have a look in the Gallery at the moment you will see 2 pics of sapphires & zircons from this creek which I have found in the last month.

Good luck with the fossicking
Baaa humbug, not enough fossicking time!

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 09:41:17 PM »
I just had a look at those photos you mentioned Jamo, I think I can see my initials on a couple of the zircons! Must be ones I dropped back in the '70's.

DB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 10:42:31 AM »
Thanks Boys, You have saved me so much time & research with the helpful information. Your right about the National park Jamo, It starts right under that Trestle Bridge. I will give Tolmie a try .
Thanks Again

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]