collapse

Author Topic: NEVER PEG A SMALL MINERS CLAIM IN QUEENSLAND  (Read 37740 times)

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Re: NEVER PEG A SMALL MINERS CLAIM IN QUEENSLAND
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2016, 08:35:57 PM »
Looks like it also got The Willows but missed Glenalva.  :o
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2016, 08:46:55 PM »
Closer view around Sapphire and Anakie

What the ****!!!!!! THEY CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!

That makes most of the gemfields a no-mining area!!

It just can't be right - some d***head in a Brisbane office has to have made a monumental cock-up!!

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2016, 08:48:42 PM »
Lefty just to clarify i may have missed it the ERE is that the boundry of the designated fossicking area, eg Reward?
If so 1 cliam is in by 30 meters the other touch and go

If it is by Crockett map THEY  HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!!
That will shut down the gemfields.

I wonder when and who snuck this changer in behind our backs!!!

Cheers

I'll forward you the email the DMNR office sent me Garry - I'm not computer-literate enough to post the image. Can you pm me your email address?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 08:50:32 PM by Lefty »

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2016, 09:03:11 PM »
Time for People Power.... this has serious implications on hundreds of peoples lives.... I wouldn't like to own a business in the towns around the 'Pink Zone"... time for a town meeting id say...

Gemster.... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2016, 09:04:05 PM »
From PC Bowe's link to the government site....

Proposed changes to vegetation management laws were introduced to parliament on 17 March 2016. If these laws are passed in their current form, some changes will be effective from the date the Bill was introduced (17 March 2016).

pc bowe

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2016, 09:07:08 PM »
So been comparing QLD globe and MinesOnlineMaps.
Restricted areas are on both, MOM more accurate.
If this is based on an ERE issue it was unusual of the plant in question to respect some boundaries and not others, normally flora is less cooperative.
Looks like the integrity of the mining leases are intact.
However if the field can't have new claims, then no new leases.(Requires 6 months as claim before a lease can be granted).
Eventually the existing leases dry up, a few oldies cling on until.

In the Northern Tin towns this was called Sunsetting.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2016, 09:13:40 PM »
So been comparing QLD globe and MinesOnlineMaps.
Restricted areas are on both, MOM more accurate.
If this is based on an ERE issue it was unusual of the plant in question to respect some boundaries and not others, normally flora is less cooperative.
Looks like the integrity of the mining leases are intact.
However if the field can't have new claims, then no new leases.(Requires 6 months as claim before a lease can be granted).
Eventually the existing leases dry up, a few oldies cling on until.

In the Northern Tin towns this was called Sunsetting.

Could you post me a direct link please pc? I can't seem to access the site.

Did you mean that machinery leases remain untouched? My small mining claim applications have been knocked on the head and the holder of a current small mining claim has told me that he has been notified that his claim can no longer be recognised. There were about three thousand small mining claims on the field last I looked. Can't remember exact numbers though.

pc bowe

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2016, 09:36:51 PM »
DNRM MinesOnLine Tile on their site follow the prompts.

I think clarity needs to be sort, on exactly what these areas are.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2016, 09:53:47 PM »
Well I can't access it - but I'm not real computer-savvy. I can't find anything like it in the maps layers of mines online maps. Think I'll go to bed now anyway, no point in me worrying about it, I've already been knocked back because of it. But what is going to happen to small claimholders and the gemfileds themselves?

The situation will become clearer in time.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2016, 10:37:49 PM »
Lefty I have sent you a pdf of the map you cannot get to. Blue is the restricted area.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2016, 10:41:38 PM »
Looks like it also got The Willows but missed Glenalva.  :o
It is the other way around. It includes Glenalva.

nuggethill

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • A friends find
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2016, 12:10:03 AM »
It look like they have one on the Willows as well while every one was bogged down with the native title
they did a sneaky and slipped this in, did they advertise they were going to do this
or did they just bring this in without any notice , all the miner should have a meeting and plan some sort of action
sorry just my two bobs worth

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2016, 05:50:32 AM »
Thanks Jerry. Still don't know exactly what is what or where anyone stands until the DMNR and/or Environment and Heritage or whoever it was that came up with this release proper clarification.

If anyone is interested, pm me your email address and I will forward the email with the close-scale pink-zone satellite map in the far end of Reward. I think I need an actual email address, which the "email member" function in this forum does not give out for privacy reasons.

Cheers

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2016, 06:26:17 AM »
I'm not a biologist or a botanist but I have always held some interest in the subject and at one stage did volunteer work with our local herbarium, going out into Deepwater, Eurimbula and Bulburin national parks helping with plant surveys. So I do have some basic experience in the area.

What I am interested to know is what exactly are the plant species that form the basis of this Endangered Regional Ecosystem. The area now declared off limits has been extensively hand-mined and grazed for over a century. If this is a delicate and vulnerable vegetation type, it begs the question of why it is still growing there after all this continual disturbance.

Public awareness of advances in scientific understanding can sometimes be slow to catch on and as a consequence, public policy can be implemented based on outdated knowledge - for the purposes of political expediency. Biologists have been trying to tell us for decades that the popular and cherished notion of a "delicate balance" of nature is simply wrong. But the idea is so entrenched in the minds of the public (read: electorate) that people still believe it.

"The New Nature" by biologist Tim Low is an excellent book. Written in a fashioned aimed at the lay person, it dispenses with the idea of nature existing in a delicate balance with the slightest man-made disturbance invariably harmful as little more than a popular myth. It shows that while somethings indeed suffer from human encroachment, other native plants and animals thrive in man-altered environments, sometimes to the point of becoming pests themselves.

This book challenges conventional thinking about nature and conservation by showing that many native species are benefiting rather than suffering from human impacts, and exploring how these ‘winners’ sometimes go on to cause environmental problems. Examples include overabundant koalas killing eucalypt forests, and aggressive birds that benefit from forest degradation.

Humanised environments are not necessarily shunned by other species, and often provide important resources, even for endangered species such as the green and golden bell frog (Litoria aurea), found today mainly in degraded wetlands, and cassowaries which now feed on the fruit of one of Australia’s worst weeds, the pond apple (Annona glabra).

I have no specific information as yet regarding the make up of this Endangered vegetation type but given it's existence throughout lands that have been mined and grazed for more than a hundred years, I would not be at all surprised if it transpired that it was not there in spite of sapphire mining and grazing but because of it. It's possible that if the cattle were excluded, the plant would be soon destroyed by bushfire or choked by competitors. It's possible that small-scale surface mining creates an environment of water sumps favourable to the plants growth.

We still know nothing specific. But I'll leave you with the thought expressed by the author of the book that the endangered Golden bell frog which is difficult to find in "the wild" reaches such high number in ablution blocks that it should be re-named "The Golden toilet frog" :)

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker