collapse

Author Topic: NEVER PEG A SMALL MINERS CLAIM IN QUEENSLAND  (Read 27251 times)

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: NEVER PEG A SMALL MINERS CLAIM IN QUEENSLAND
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2016, 06:26:17 AM »
I'm not a biologist or a botanist but I have always held some interest in the subject and at one stage did volunteer work with our local herbarium, going out into Deepwater, Eurimbula and Bulburin national parks helping with plant surveys. So I do have some basic experience in the area.

What I am interested to know is what exactly are the plant species that form the basis of this Endangered Regional Ecosystem. The area now declared off limits has been extensively hand-mined and grazed for over a century. If this is a delicate and vulnerable vegetation type, it begs the question of why it is still growing there after all this continual disturbance.

Public awareness of advances in scientific understanding can sometimes be slow to catch on and as a consequence, public policy can be implemented based on outdated knowledge - for the purposes of political expediency. Biologists have been trying to tell us for decades that the popular and cherished notion of a "delicate balance" of nature is simply wrong. But the idea is so entrenched in the minds of the public (read: electorate) that people still believe it.

"The New Nature" by biologist Tim Low is an excellent book. Written in a fashioned aimed at the lay person, it dispenses with the idea of nature existing in a delicate balance with the slightest man-made disturbance invariably harmful as little more than a popular myth. It shows that while somethings indeed suffer from human encroachment, other native plants and animals thrive in man-altered environments, sometimes to the point of becoming pests themselves.

This book challenges conventional thinking about nature and conservation by showing that many native species are benefiting rather than suffering from human impacts, and exploring how these ‘winners’ sometimes go on to cause environmental problems. Examples include overabundant koalas killing eucalypt forests, and aggressive birds that benefit from forest degradation.

Humanised environments are not necessarily shunned by other species, and often provide important resources, even for endangered species such as the green and golden bell frog (Litoria aurea), found today mainly in degraded wetlands, and cassowaries which now feed on the fruit of one of Australia’s worst weeds, the pond apple (Annona glabra).

I have no specific information as yet regarding the make up of this Endangered vegetation type but given it's existence throughout lands that have been mined and grazed for more than a hundred years, I would not be at all surprised if it transpired that it was not there in spite of sapphire mining and grazing but because of it. It's possible that if the cattle were excluded, the plant would be soon destroyed by bushfire or choked by competitors. It's possible that small-scale surface mining creates an environment of water sumps favourable to the plants growth.

We still know nothing specific. But I'll leave you with the thought expressed by the author of the book that the endangered Golden bell frog which is difficult to find in "the wild" reaches such high number in ablution blocks that it should be re-named "The Golden toilet frog" :)

Aussie Sapphire

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Sapphire
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2016, 07:34:24 AM »
If anyone is interested, pm me your email address and I will forward the email with the close-scale pink-zone satellite map in the far end of Reward.

Or you can email it to us (info at aussiesapphire.com.au) - I will upload it direct to the ALF webspace and provide a direct link to the file in this thread if that is easier for you.

If you want to do that, I would need it by tomorrow though as we are leaving for a week away on Saturday morning.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2016, 08:21:54 AM »
Thanks Leah.

I just tried but my email system will not allow me to either forward it to you or copy and send it to you :( :-\

I have successfully sent it from my home email to QSMA president Greg Charlton for him to mull over. If any of the forum members want to to email to them I will do so and perhaps they could forward it to you, I don't know what's happening here.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2016, 08:40:07 AM »
ALF's email system will not allow attachments .

Lefty copy and paste Leah's email address into your own email system outlook or what ever, the one you used to send it to QSMA. Then attach the picture and send  :)

You can also send it to me,  just reply to my email  :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:43:29 AM by Jimnyjerry »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Aussie Sapphire

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Sapphire
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2016, 08:45:34 AM »
Wot Jerry said  :D

Just attach it to a normal email in your mail program and send to us direct.  I can then upload it so you just need to send people the link or they can click on it in this thread.

cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

diesel

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2016, 09:05:43 AM »
G’day Lefty,
Sorry to hear about the latest developments with your claim application mate, but if I may offer a bit of advice based on my own experience here on the gemfields over the past 25 years, if it is an environmental issue, deal directly with the EPA.
As you are most likely aware, the various departments that administer & enforce legislation in relation to small mining claims do have a communication problem with each other. The only way you will find out for sure of any issue put into effect by EPA is to talk to EPA and I have found through my own experience that if you talk face to face, they are easy to deal with.
I have heard the prophesies of doom & gloom many times that the end is near for us small miners here on the gemfields and if you really sit back and think about it, there is zero chance that it will happen. In recent times, a lot of effort has been put into upgrading our services and they have not put all that money into projects just to turn around and tell us all to bugger off. It doesn’t work that way.
If I was in your situation, to eliminate any further drama and uncertainty, I would accept the offer by Sean Brown (is he still the registrar?) and if you are still interested in mining sapphires then purchase an existing claim in a different area.
I learned many years ago never to abuse kids, drunks and public servants. Kids grow up, drunks sober up and public servants put you on the “hit-list”.
Just saying........

drft_er

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2016, 12:00:52 PM »
Just at work but have spoken to DME and have looked at maps
No bad news for existing mc holders new claims can be pegged OK
The maps posted are not the correct ones
I will post more info tonight when more time.
More info to come
Cheers
Garry
I Guess Ill keep Diggin or Fishing Hmmm or Golfing. There's just not enough hours in a day!!

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2016, 12:40:41 PM »
If I was in your situation, to eliminate any further drama and uncertainty, I would accept the offer by Sean Brown (is he still the registrar?) and if you are still interested in mining sapphires then purchase an existing claim in a different area.

Gday Diesel.

Jason Turner is the Registrar in the Emerald DMNR office now.

Greg Charlton has advised me that the process of buying an existing claim has just been rendered more complex (this is without any ERE considerations). We had endless dramas trying to buy an existing claim. In the end, we dispensed with the idea and decided to peg. We have had endless dramas over the past nearly three years with that. Now after all that I have been told that a newly-declared sensitive area has rendered my application unable to be granted. If I were religious I would say that somebody upstairs is telling me not to mine sapphires.

Just at work but have spoken to DME and have looked at maps
No bad news for existing mc holders new claims can be pegged OK
The maps posted are not the correct ones
I will post more info tonight when more time.
More info to come
Cheers
Garry

Gday Garry.

Good to hear that it sounds as though you are in the clear. But we desperately need more information. I have been told by the mining registrar that new claims can certainly not be pegged within the ERE and my applications have subsequently been unable to be granted. He sent me a map showing my applications, two established claims, Mini-Max's machinery lease and the far north-western corner of Reward DFL with the ERE highlighted in pink, completely covering my applications and covering 90% of one claim and a majority of the other. Mini-Max's lease is just outside the ERE boundary. It was impossible to tell by the map just how far the ERE spreads.

Jason was somewhat vague in the email I sent him regarding what would happen to the two active claims partially covered by the ERE and I have not spoken to him again regarding the matter.

The I received a reply on  another forum from a person who says he received a phone call from the DMNR telling him that his active claim in another part of the gemfields now falls within an ERE and can no longer be recognised.

There seems to be some difficulty in getting the exact story of what is really going on.

Here's an excerpt from the email from the Emerald DMNR...

As advised at this point the 2 MCAs have not been rejected, the situation is that the 2 MCAs fall within an endangered regional ecosystem (ERE) which make the area an environmentally sensitive area (ESA). As you mention below there are two mining claims nearby that are in a similar situation, however they both have a portion that is outside the ESA.

Please find attached a couple of maps. There are 2 from the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection website showing each MCA within the ESA. There is also a google earth image showing the two MCAs within the ERE and the extent of the ERE in the area.

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »
I have requested from the DMNR the full map of which they only sent me a tiny portion, showing the full extent of ERE's throughout the designated gemfields area. Hopefully they will accommodate my request.

drft_er

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »
Gday Jason
I can get correct map up using qld globe you can peg and mine in buffer zone as as long as you get an Ea which is free and just paperwork. . Any current Mc already has EA so no problems to operate or renew.
I will post map with overlay tobyou tonight also how to get it for viewing
It was unfortunate your claim is in the ERE

Cheers
Garru
I Guess Ill keep Diggin or Fishing Hmmm or Golfing. There's just not enough hours in a day!!

drft_er

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2016, 04:16:37 PM »
Lefty,
ESP attached

drft_er

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2016, 04:26:21 PM »
How to open vegetation layers

Lefty

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2016, 07:14:43 PM »
Lefty,
ESP attached

Thanks Garry, that's identical to the one I just opened here at home from Jason Turner. Looks like most people should be ok. It's not yet possible to be sure how many people are affected - there's me and then there's three existing claimholders that I know of. I'm still unsure what will happen to the two people beside me who have lost 90% and two-thirds of their claims respectively to the ERE. I guess the legislation says that they can only mine the portion of their claim still outside the ERE. Maybe they can just call their activities "fossicking"?

Sioux

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2016, 08:33:00 PM »
The I received a reply on  another forum from a person who says he received a phone call from the DMNR telling him that his active claim in another part of the gemfields now falls within an ERE and can no longer be recognised.

Lefty, can you say where this other part of the gemfields is?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:53:05 AM by Aussie Sapphire »

pc bowe

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2016, 08:58:04 PM »
There we go.
https://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/land/mining/level2-guidance-package.html
As of 31 March 16. Replacing the" Code of environmental compliance".
Basically the same just reshuffled.
Note; compare A13  claim vs lease.
So is this a ESA Category  B (j) ERE ?
Need more information.

Tags: Pink Area mining 

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Illegal mining near Inverell by Jimnyjerry
[Today at 12:40:03 AM]

Areas now Closed in Nth NSW.. by Gemster
[November 28, 2020, 11:37:27 PM]

The Photo-Atlas of Minerals - Version 2 by RoughCreations
[November 27, 2020, 01:34:50 PM]

Buying a slab saw by Dihusky
[November 26, 2020, 04:32:32 PM]

Combination unit by Faceting Frank
[November 25, 2020, 01:18:46 PM]

Joke of the Day by Ghost
[November 22, 2020, 01:21:51 PM]

Gemboree 2021 - Fossicking by Faceting Frank
[November 14, 2020, 09:05:54 PM]

Gems stolen, Mt Surprise by Jimnyjerry
[November 11, 2020, 07:28:00 AM]

Diamond Cutting Blades by Dihusky
[November 07, 2020, 02:20:32 PM]

Findings by FlashGP
[November 06, 2020, 10:04:46 PM]

Buying a saw: comparison videos by pito
[November 06, 2020, 03:25:17 PM]

Pilbara fifo rock hunting by steveo
[November 03, 2020, 04:04:31 AM]

* Calendar

November 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
[29] 30

No calendar events were found.
Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 80
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 1
  • Dot Users Online:

* Find us on Facebook

* Forum Stats

• stats Total Members: 4419
  • stats Total Posts: 56561
  • stats Total Topics: 6030
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 27