collapse

Author Topic: Kangaroo Valley Petrified Wood location  (Read 7926 times)

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
Kangaroo Valley Petrified Wood location
« on: September 14, 2016, 08:26:50 PM »
Hi All,

Heading down to Kangaroo Valley for the first time with a few friends and kids this weekend.  I know there is petrified wood and one of the main location described as 'Just near Hampton Bridge just downstream' but that is about the best my google search and thread search here turned up.

Was wondering if anyone can help narrow this down for me and of course feel free to mention any other particular fossicking sites that would be easy for kids are.  I know there are fossils in the area (marine) and there is another creek that has some Jasper etc in it.

Main help re Hampton Bridge for Petrified wood (or other site for petrified wood in the valley) would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks!!

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • Blog
Re: Kangaroo Valley Petrified Wood location
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 08:45:37 PM »
As I've said a number of times lately, check out my book "Field Geology of the Shoalhaven District" on this forum  here: http://www.aussiesapphire.com/ALF_Storage/Field%20Geology%20of%20the%20Shoalhaven%20District%20John%20Paix%201970.pdf .
It's free and there a lots of places mentioned. Sorry about the lack of maps, but the intro gives the background.
Findem

Shivan

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • youtube
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 08:42:30 AM »
Findem's book is a wealth of knowledge for the Shoalhaven area.
Cheers Findem for making it available. It has helped me a great deal.

MrsSydney, there is some nice petrified wood to be found around Hamton bridge itself, though just after floods is normally a better time to go looking there is always some around. There also seems to be jasper and if your lucky agate around the bridge, that i have not seen so much in other areas.
You can take the back road from Berry to the valley and check the creek crossings (Brougers/Broughton), there is wood to be found, but seems a bit patchy. The upper Kangaroo river can also be worth a look depending on how much time you have.

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 06:25:04 PM »
I did actually find that via my google search but missed the extra detail on page 33!

Thanks All!

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 08:29:24 PM »
hi All,

Just a report back.

Under the bridge at Kangaroo valley did find some small pieces of petrified wood, jasper, and small bit of agate / carnelian.  Could have waded through the water to the large rocky area just on the other side but had limited time / desire to get wet.  So instead had noticed the road to 'Upper Kangaroo River' on the main road heading inland a few km's.  So figured this stuff must come from upstream somewhere so lets try our luck and just enjoy a random drive!

Drove up this road looking for side roads. First side road found nothing really but a bit further up there was a place where the river is right beside the road with easy access (no fence so pretty positive not private property until the other side).  Went down here and found 2 really nice pieces about the size of my palm - darker in colour but with clear concentric banding.  Probably should post a photo but won't be for a while.  I think they would polish really nicely!  They are also interesting in that it is a lot darker than the typical petrified wood I'd seen more up in the New England area eg Emmaville Mining museum etc.

Anyway - ran out of time but was fun!

Shivan

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • youtube
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 02:29:13 PM »
Good to hear you found a few bits and pieces. The bridge area does get a hammering, but after some decent rain there always seems to be some rock show up.

I have not cabbed any of the wood yet, but i have tumbled a fair bit of it and it does polish up nicely. Most of the bigger pieces of petrified wood i have cut from there has been black inside, but what i have found is you can stick it in the garden for a couple of months and the black will weather back out to brown.

Here is some of the agate, chalcedony, agatized wood, petrified wood and other goodies i have found just around the bridge area.

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 02:36:50 PM »
Nice Collection!

jayanna

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 10:11:54 AM »
Thank you so very much for sharing these lovely photos.   I luv to fossick and the question which is raised the most I have found is "how do you know what to look for and what does it look like"...........well these photos show us just what the alanatural rock is like on the ground and I found it wonderful to see them this way.   It helps us novices to find our way when picking up rocks and not knowing whether to put them in an already overloaded pocket or toss it.
THANK YOU
J

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 04:05:01 PM »
One of the advantages of belonging to a lapidary club is being able see the stones in the rough.   :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Recent Activities

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[Today at 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[Today at 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker
[March 26, 2024, 02:48:04 PM]

Garnet by RoughCreations
[March 26, 2024, 11:13:38 AM]

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank