collapse

Author Topic: Good Value Faceting Book for Beginners  (Read 3754 times)

Aleks

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Good Value Faceting Book for Beginners
« on: June 01, 2017, 06:56:12 PM »
Hi,

I am a novice facet cutter looking for my first text book. There are a few reference texts that seem to get a few recommendations, here are a few that I am considering:

Introduction to Meetpoint Faceting (R. Long and N, Steele), 1985, 126 pages, ~USD$23.50
LEARN TO FACET THE RIGHT WAY (J. Graham), ?, 58 pages, ~USD$22.50
Faceting for Amateurs (G. Vargas and M. Vargas), 1989, 340 pages, ~USD$52.00
The Techniques of Master Faceting (G. Wykoff), 1985, 234 pages, ~USD$34.00
Facet Cutters Handbook (E. Soukup), 1986, 64 pages, ~USD$6.00
FACETING THE EASY WAY (D. Clark), ?, ? pages, ~USD$? (OOP and hard to find?)
Amateur Gemstone Faceting Volume 1: The Essentials (T. Herbst), 2014, 428 pages, ~USD$27.00
Cutting Gemstones: A beginners guide to faceting (J. Broadfoot, P. Collins), 2003, 282 pages, ~AUD$69.00

These numbers exclude postage costs. But from what I can see, Amateur Gemstone Faceting Vol. 1 seems like the best value for money and seems to contain everything to get started and develop some skill. The facet cutters handbook is also quite affordable, but seems to contain quite a few basic facet designs which are readily available online. My guess is that
Amateur Gemstone Faceting Vol. 1 would cover most of the contents of The facet cutters handbook and much, much more.

So I'm thinking of getting Amateur Gemstone Faceting Vol. 1 as my first text on the subject. But I would really like to hear the thoughts of those much wiser than me here on ALF!

Many thanks!

Aleks.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:48:57 AM by Aleks »

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Re: Good Value Faceting Book for Beginners
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 07:29:01 PM »
I would recommend the Amateur Gemstone Faceting book.

I have not read it but it is much newer than most of the other titles on your list and has had very good reviews.  See this discussion:  http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4473.msg44480#msg44480

The other books will be very traditional and there are newer lap options available now.  Having said that, the mechanics of faceting dont change much and so any of the information will still be useful.

I have not read J.Grahams book - he was a respected name in the business but also very opinionated. I suggest the newer book by Herbst would be more useful.

The Soukup book has been popular - we sell lots of them and it is not a big investment.  Not as cheap from us as your $6 US but I suspect postage might be a bit cheaper from within Australia - useful info for the $$ cost.   We have had the Wyckoff book in stock previously but I did not think it great and we have not restocked it.  We have also had the Long & Steele book previously - better than the Wyckoff book but not a lot of explanation and background - more diagrams.

There is an Australian book by Jim Broadfoot - have not read it so cannot give any personal recommendations - I expect that it would take a very traditional view of faceting but may be of interest to you.  Book is available from Faceters Guild website - BTW, joining the Guild is not expensive and membership includes an excellent magazine (every 2 months I think).  The magazine always has at least a couple of cutting designs and other useful articles.  Well worth the cost of membership.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Aleks

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 11:57:06 AM »
Thanks Leah,

The book by John Broadfoot (John/Jim same same!) looks like a good suggestion and is a bit more recent. I've added his book to my original post and some date of publication information for other readers.

Yeah, I am getting back into lapidary, I need to renew my club membership so might as well join the Facetor's Guild.

I'm flying overseas to work for a couple of months (Mozambique, hopefully I'll have time to hunt for a few gems!) so probably won't commit to a book for a few weeks.

Aleks.

REXL

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:09:09 PM »
Gee Aleks, dont you need something to read on the flight??

REXL

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »
The book by John Broadfoot (John/Jim same same!) looks like a good suggestion and is a bit more recent. I've added his book to my original post and some date of publication information for other readers.
Aleks.

Sorry - yes, made a typo on the name.  Is John Broadfoot.  Book is a bit more recent but I think the techniques discussed are probably pretty old school from what I know of John.  I know we have members here who have attended Faceters Guild seminars involving John so they may be able to give a more informed recommendation. He is a very experienced cutter though with a lot of years of experience in teaching the craft.

cheers
Leah
Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 03:44:35 PM »
I'd consider getting Tom Herbst two books. Atleast, the techniques are sort of modern and they contain lots of interesting info. You get a lot of book for the $$.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 04:09:44 PM by MakkyBrown »

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
I have a Broadfoot & Collins.  It is excellent for beginners.  Until recently the US Facetors Guild website had a post recommending it.  Now they have a US version.  We Aussies tend to be a bit biased so it is nice to have international recognition.

Basically a bible for facetors containing history, cugging your first stone, polishing theory, reference material troubleshooting diagrams etc.

The Facetors Guild Magazine has faceting diagams in it and there is a sample on their website.

Regards
Gorgon
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose