collapse

Author Topic: What type of belt lubricant should l be using on faceting machine?  (Read 5490 times)

thegoldman24

• ALF'er Bronze Member
it is recommended to lubricate belt on faceting machine every 20 hours just wondering what l should be using.thanks. ::)

Shivan

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • youtube
Re: What type of belt lubricant should l be using on faceting machine?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 12:06:36 PM »
A leather or rubber conditioner depending on the belt i would think would do the trick?

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 08:34:36 PM »
it is recommended to lubricate belt on faceting machine every 20 hours just wondering what l should be using.thanks. ::)
I've never put anything on my belts. They are the green plastic ones you melt to join/make. I should cut my main belt a bit shorter as it slips a bit sometimes, I suppose if I  greased it would slip a lot more so I'd be tempted to put nothing on them.

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:16:17 AM »
The book I got with my Facetron recommends lubricating the belt.  It is a V belt woth ribbs on the back of the belt.

The belt develops a loud tick and I replaced it when the machine was 1 year old.

The next belt also developed a tick so it must be something about this type of belt.

I initiallyvtried powdered graphite, but caught my finger between the belt and pully while lubricating the belt.  The machine blew a fuse.  I don't recommend it.  :-[ ???  Lucky for me themotor was on slow.

After consulting a retired fitter and turner I started using unscented Sunlight soap.  I turn the lap on slow then hold the bar against the insude if the belt for a few seconds.  It seems to work and I haven't had belt slip.  (Different style of belt to Macky Brown.)

I have to reapply the soap every few weeks.

Kind regards
Gordon
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 12:05:08 PM »
There is also this type of thing. My father has a can he uses on the lathe.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/CRC-Belt-Grip-400g/1444

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 07:51:41 AM »
 Directly from Facetron:
If the customer hears a squeak or clicking from under the machine, 99% of the time it is coming from a dirty belt.  Jeff recommends that the customer turn off and  unplug their Facetron, turn it on it's side and with a clean cotton cloth, spray a little WD40 on the cloth and clean all sides of the belt.  Turn it upright again, plug it in and turn it on.  This should eliminate the noises.
Hope this helps.

Jeanne

Facetron/Jarvi Tool, LLC
780 E. Debra Lane
Anaheim, CA  92805
www.facetron.com

Orange Pirate

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 08:44:03 AM »
Directly from Facetron:
If the customer hears a squeak or clicking from under the machine, 99% of the time it is coming from a dirty belt.  Jeff recommends that the customer turn off and  unplug their Facetron, turn it on it's side and with a clean cotton cloth, spray a little WD40 on the cloth and clean all sides of the belt.  Turn it upright again, plug it in and turn it on.  This should eliminate the noises.
Hope this helps.

Jeanne

www.facetron.com

I'm glad you cleared this up as it had me somewhat confused. It was all going against what I was told/knew about drive belts.
From what I know and have been told the 'dressings' are the last thing you want to put on a noisy belt - from my experience. The noise is either from belt stretch, wear, contamination, dirt, glazing, old age, pulley misalignment etc. The actual problem should be addressed.
The use of belt dressings can quieten a noisy belt in the short term but in can return a lot worse as the dressing attracts more dirt, but now everything is contaminated by the dressing as well and now needs to be cleaned.

Cheers
OP

Andrew

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 06:00:13 PM »
 I fully Agree ,
Using any Belt Dressing on a modern Vee Belt seems completely against all my Training as a Automotive Fitter and Turner and Diesel Fitter,we
used Belt Dressing om Flat Belts or in desperation until a New belt could be fitted in the past.

However I guess If you have the situation of a annoying noise after a period that a Poly belt may well have already broken ::) [size=78%] using Jeffs[/size]
solution, may be better then Buying a new Belt.

In a Low power transfer situation like a Facetron that actually  use a great quality
belt in comparison to most manufacturers that use a Poly cord give it a try,I have not tried this but its from the Guy who invented and still makes these machines.   

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 07:21:27 PM »
I'll give it a try.  The last belt seemed to be worn on the sides when I replaced it 1 year after purchase.  There also seemed to be rubber crumbs under the belt.

This belt has lasted two years.

How do you check the pulley allignment?

regards
Gordon
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Orange Pirate

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 04:48:10 PM »
I'll give it a try.  The last belt seemed to be worn on the sides when I replaced it 1 year after purchase.  There also seemed to be rubber crumbs under the belt.

This belt has lasted two years.

How do you check the pulley allignment?

regards
Gordon

In order of effectiveness (increasing) and availability, ease of acquiring (decreasing). Eyeballing, straight edge, laser alignment tool.

There may be other ways, but can't think of them off the top of my head.

Cheers
OP
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 04:49:46 PM by Orange Pirate »

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 10:44:46 PM »
Thanks OP.

the mounting on the motor may prevent me using a metal ruler as a straight edge.  But I may be able to measure the distance between the pulleys and the  base plate of the machine to check allignment. They should both be parrellel to it.

Regards
Gordon.
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

dughug

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 10:57:45 PM »
"Just started cutting my 1st stone on charlton  faceting machine made in south australia.Had this same model machine 25 years ago cut some beautiful stones with it. (bought off gum tree)and getting belt slip.Seems to be a bit of stretch.its a green belt round approx 8mm thick .What would be the best fix for this situation?thanks .             op     wayne."

Wayne, I have one of Brian's first competition facetors made in 2003. One of the problems with that machine was the belt - it often broke where it was joined. Usually an easy fix to heat the break & rejoin it. The trouble was that after a few repairs the belts was somewhat shorter than when it was originally made. It did stop the slip though. I was working in the Pacific in a 3rd world country when the belt gave up the ghost when I was cutting a competition stone. I solved the problem by going to the local pump supplier and bought a 5mm "o" ring to the circumference I needed. The "O" ring was a seal for a water pump and did the job really well & the cost was only a couple of dollars.

Now I'm back in Australia I still use "o" rings for replacement belts considerably cheaper than buying replacement belts from the usual suppliers. CBC bearings have a really extensive range in both diameter and circumference.

This is a cost effective way of upgrading your belts.

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker