collapse

Author Topic: Heading to the Harts Ranges  (Read 29295 times)

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
Heading to the Harts Ranges
« on: May 24, 2017, 08:50:53 AM »
Hi All...

Well, I'm finally going to tick the Harts Ranges off the bucket list. Heading up there in four weeks from the 26th June - 14th July. Hoping to spend a few days at each of several locations including the Mount Palmer mica mines, Entia Valley and Mud Tank.

Firstly, are there any ALFer's who might be up there at the same time?

Secondly, can anyone help me with directions to the iolite / kyanite locality in the Entia Valley?

Cheers

Trevor
Cheers, from my little piece of the Australian Outback...
For mineral samples from the Broken Hill, Olary and Mount Painter districts checkout my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/curnamonaminerals

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
Re: Heading to the Harts Ranges
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:39:56 PM »
PM me darttrev and I'll send you my phone number if you want to have chat. We were there for 2-3 weeks in 2015. Went to all the places you mentioned and others but unfortunately couldn't spend the time.  I proabably had the gps going a lot of the time so might be able to get you some gpx tracks etc.  I would also suggest before going ringing Mt Riddock station and ask permission to visit the Entia Valley and maybe other areas on their property. I don't think the Entia Valley is a declared area, some people just go there but it's worth checking as your going though a number of gates on their property.
Cheers
Andrew

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »
Lucky you Darttrev68... I plan to go out there next Winter... Hopefully spending 6-8 weeks at Harts Range and 2 weeks around Alice Springs... Now, just have to convince Mrs Gemster to spend that time in a Tent.... ;D   Keep us informed on your Trip... Keen to know what is Open and What is a No-go area now... I know there are a few new leases been granted up that way...

Gemster... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »
Lucky you Darttrev68... I plan to go out there next Winter... Hopefully spending 6-8 weeks at Harts Range and 2 weeks around Alice Springs... Now, just have to convince Mrs Gemster to spend that time in a Tent.... ;D   Keep us informed on your Trip... Keen to know what is Open and What is a No-go area now... I know there are a few new leases been granted up that way...

Gemster... beers
Don't have to use a tent. I prefer not paying to stay anywhere but we stayed at Gemtree and just day tripped. Some very long days, driving in the dark etc. But nice having a hot shower at the end of the day. If spending time at mudtank getting water for fossicking and drink is tricky as I don't think Gemtree are that happy giving it away. And are reluctant to sell it. You can get water from the open pit at MudTank for fossicking, but had to lug it a good way in drums. As we had never been to the area before we decided on the security of leaving the van at gemtree not in the middle of not where.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »
Tent or Camper Trailer, not too sure yet. ::) I am pretty well Self-Sufficient. 150L Fuel +2x 20l jerry cans, Water is 30L +jerry.. And a Hot Shower.... We have 2 Vehicles going, may-be 3 ,each with it's own Supplies.. And a very Large Rottweiler..
 I don't blame you for wanting the Security of Gemtree... It is always a worry when you park your Car/van in the bush... A GPS in case my car gets 'Lost'' and a Trail-cam will come in handy... Oh and Zeus The Rottweiler ;D 
  Lots of planning and preparation to venture so remote..... At least I have 12 months to get it together... :P      Thanks for the tips....  beers

Gemster.... beers
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:41:53 PM by Gemster »

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 10:03:32 PM »
I'll be mostly camping out in the field in my tent. I'll probably stay a couple of nights at Gemtree between Mount Palmer, Entia Valley and Mud Tank. Do some day trips to the Zircons, Garnets and the Kornerupine. I hope to meet up with some fellow fossickers and camp nearby for security.
For mineral samples from the Broken Hill, Olary and Mount Painter districts checkout my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/curnamonaminerals

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 10:38:43 PM »
The only spot we noticed people camping was mud tank, spotted tiger camp was completely empty(I'm not sure if I'd leave a van or setup camp at spotted tiger with no one there, I'd worry all day).  There were some semi-permanent residence at mud tank and everyone looks out for each other.  If staying at gemtree try and make it roast night(might be fridays). It's a good meal but not quite enough for me when digging all day. But nice having a meal cooked for you and a chat with everyone.

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 04:03:11 PM »
We passed the turnoff to O'Donoghue hwy this morning. Queensland end of the Plenty hwy.

I was pretty tempted to give Agate creek a miss and head over to mud tank, we came up the Strezleckie track via Yunta so the bitumen  between Bedourie and Boulia was just too nice to leave behind. 33 degrees today, suffer southerners.

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 06:26:06 PM »
I noticed in the fossickers guide to the Northern Territory, there is a lot more information than what the government has on their website. Does anyone know the site number for the best dodecahedral garnets. Some say site 3 while other information says site 5. From what I've read, I think the best spot is near a small hill that is called as "castle rock". Does anyone know if this is true. I'm not looking for cutting material, just nicely shaped crystals, so with fossicking time limited, many of the garnet sites where shards and pieces are found, do not interest me.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 07:05:54 PM »
We passed the turnoff to O'Donoghue hwy this morning. Queensland end of the Plenty hwy.

I was pretty tempted to give Agate creek a miss and head over to mud tank, we came up the Strezleckie track via Yunta so the bitumen  between Bedourie and Boulia was just too nice to leave behind. 33 degrees today, suffer southerners.
There always the way back rusted you could head across the Barkley and stay on bitumen. :)  Yeah I'm suffering  brrr brrr ,  more from being stuck here than the cold.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »
I noticed in the fossickers guide to the Northern Territory, there is a lot more information than what the government has on their website. Does anyone know the site number for the best dodecahedral garnets. Some say site 3 while other information says site 5. From what I've read, I think the best spot is near a small hill that is called as "castle rock". Does anyone know if this is true. I'm not looking for cutting material, just nicely shaped crystals, so with fossicking time limited, many of the garnet sites where shards and pieces are found, do not interest me.
Are you after the really big ones ?, I know exactly where they are, they are just a bit deep. Did you get my email and open the file ?

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 07:29:37 PM »
No Email here ;D ;D

Gemster.... beers

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 07:37:54 PM »
Makky, that digging spot is the garnet area on map fa03a right in the centre of the map on my Ruddock stn? Near the tiny rocky hill? Tell him about the one on the track out to Mt Palmer  that I gave you directions to, some nice specimens there. Sorry for being brief, doing this on a phone is no fun.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 10:34:45 PM »
I think it is Rusted, it's just outside the declared areas. I had a look at your Mt Palmer spot there were plenty of garnets there but not like when you visited.

darttrev68

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • Curnamona Minerals
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 12:08:06 AM »
I got your email Makky, thanks heaps for the info. A few of the spots I lined up on Google Earth, match the end of the tracks. So I must have been in the right areas. I'm adding locations now to my itinerary, mostly the kyanite spots in Entia Valley. Can't wait to get up there...

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker