collapse

Author Topic: QLD - Chudleigh Park  (Read 10033 times)

Wwoofa

• ALF'er VIP
    • Wwoofa
QLD - Chudleigh Park
« on: June 09, 2016, 04:55:26 PM »

May's location is Chudleigh Park (also referred to as Cheviot Hills)

You may wish to change your "Next Location of the Month" vote now that this one has been covered ... http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5028.0

Chudleigh Park is a private property located in far north Queensland.  The turnoff to the property is approx. 160 km north of Hughenden (105 km south of The Lynd Junction) on the Kennedy Developmental Road.  The GPS location is (19.65375S, 144.22920E). 

Note that Kennedy Developmental Road and the track to the fossicking area can be very rough at times depending on recent weather and when the roads have been graded.  A 4WD vehicle is highly recommended and you need to be very careful if you are towing a caravan.

Before going to the fossicking area you will need permission from the landowners and you will also need a current Queensland Fossicking Licence.

NOTE: I am not sure if the following instructions are the current protocol for access.  If someone has been there recently can they please confirm?  I believe you can call the homestead (07 4741 7172) before arriving to get permission?  Another possible number is 07 4741 1021 - this may be the local visitors info centre?  I am not sure if those phone numbers are still correct ... can anyone confirm?

From the turnoff (that goes west) travel 5.5 km to where the main track forks, then take the left fork and go 9 km to the homestead and seek the owner's permission and obtain further information.  To get to the diggings, return to the fork and take the right branch for 4 km to a second fork, take the left track and travel to a gate about 0.5 km further on.  Continue on through the gate and travel about 5 km passing by the airstrip to the camping area adjacent to the Stawell River.  The diggings are about 700 metres in a westerly direction from where the track crosses the narrow river.

Chudleigh Park is mainly known for peridot, however, you can also find other gems such as sapphires and topaz.  There are two ways of collecting peridot ... you can either dry seive (there is no water at the site) or break apart the host rock (basalt) in which the peridot forms.  The peridot has a dark coating so it can be quite difficult to see when seiving.  Generally the best technique is to look for sharp angular rocks.  Some people use pliers to chip an edge of the stone to see if the internal colour is green indicating that it is peridot.

It takes a while to get used to the area and to know what to look for so it is generally advised to visit for at least a couple of days to have a reasonable chance of finding some nice gems.

The are no facilities at the fossicking area so you have to be fully self-contained including water.  Also, make sure you don't leave any rubbish at the site - take away everything you bring in !

Frosty's Adventures (good info & pics) ...
http://www.frostysaussieadventures.com/Fossicking/QLD-Moonstone-Chudleigh.htm

Previous topic in ALF ...
http://aussielapidaryforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=220

Some good info here including a mud map ...
http://gemfossicking.com.au/chudleighpark.html#

Queensland fossicking guide info ...
http://www.ozonly.com/fossicking_and_mining_26.htm

Some peridot specimens from the gallery ...

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 05:33:45 PM by Wwoofa »

jag

Re: QLD - Chudleigh Park
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 04:30:34 PM »
  :'(Chudleigh is no longer open for fossicking. Were there on Sunday 5 June only to find a large "No gemstone fossicking" sign on the last gate in. Decided to drive to homestead only to be told by the manager that he had received a call only that morning to put a sign up. He could not give any info as to whether it was temp. or perm. Extremely disappointed :'(

Jamo

• ALF'er VIP
  • Gippsland Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 05:09:48 PM »
  :'(Chudleigh is no longer open for fossicking. Were there on Sunday 5 June only to find a large "No gemstone fossicking" sign on the last gate in. Decided to drive to homestead only to be told by the manager that he had received a call only that morning to put a sign up. He could not give any info as to whether it was temp. or perm. Extremely disappointed :'(
:'( :'( :'( :'(
Baaa humbug, not enough fossicking time!

MALACHI

• ALF'er VIP
  • Live long and prospect
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:30:33 PM »

I sure hope this is temporary  :( :( :(

Lapis Lupinus

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 08:20:04 PM »
Oh heck! Not another place shut down.

Ineedofcomapssion

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 09:17:06 AM »
What was found in this area?

It's a pity more places are being closed randomly here and there, takes the sparkle out of Australia!!!!

havarim

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 07:40:54 PM »
this comment about closing places brings me to ask a question.  im going to stay at gemtree next month july 11th for 5-6 days and have been told that the old mica mine sites have been closed.  also the same person said not to bother with harts range as its all private now or fenced off. ?????  i have read blogs of people finding great stuff up this way,  im wondering if the only place i will get to is the gemtree park itself.   anyone else been up that way recently .  ?? was it a good trip   thanks. 

jag

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 07:59:09 AM »
Contacted Hughenden info cent who confirmed that Chudleigh has been closed permanently. The owners were apparently not happy with what some people have been doing there (always a small minority spoiling things for the rest of us). Also an issue of insurance

havarim

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 04:56:16 PM »
that sad news JAG.  i never got to do trip, but it was on my to do list.  im just starting to do a bit of travelling and i feel like ive missed it all.   hoping the west hart range area is not shut as well.

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker