collapse

Author Topic: Newcastle to Inverell Trip  (Read 3093 times)

MissyP

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Rocks and minerals are the oldest storytellers.
Newcastle to Inverell Trip
« on: November 09, 2017, 07:54:10 AM »
Hi all, I'm heading to catch up with a mate in Inverell next week and thought I may get some tips from you folks. Thus far we are going to Nundle, Walcha, Uralla, Guyra and across to Inverell via Tingha. The home run is from there to Mann River Caravan Park on the Gwydir Hwy, Grafton, Nambucca and back home. I have done a little research so I know there are various things that can be found at Nundle. Any tips on the other towns would be great. My mate is taking me crystal hunting once I hit Inverell so cross fingers for me. Cheers, Mel

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Re: Newcastle to Inverell Trip
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 08:10:08 AM »
Hi MissP.  :)

If you browse/search through Fossicking Locations you should find info for Uralla (gold, zircons,sapphires), Guyra (zircons, sapphires), Inverell (zircons, sapphires) and Tingha (quartz and cassiterrite).

beers Jerry

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

MissyP

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 08:06:35 PM »
Thanks Jerry, also interested in agate, jasper etc but will have a look as suggested :)

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 08:27:49 PM »
Hi and wish I was going on the trip!

As said just literally search each place name and there is a wealth of threads with information will come up.

There is jasper in a lot of the rivers around Tamworth and up to Nundle - that is where I grew up.

Nundle is gold so I assume you are going up to Hanging Rock (very clear quartz crystals amongst other things - including fossilised dinosaur poo if you know where to go - forgot the proper name).

There is a good place near the top of Duncan's creek near Hanging Rock where you can find nice zircons and the occasional good sapphire and ruby if you are lucky.

The fossicking place at Uralla is a really nice spot.  I've found some nice zircons and the sapphire I've seen is nice but very small.  But I've never had a chance to go really hard there.

Walcha has a bit of gold but from everything I've researched not much else - but again a very pretty location.

Inverell / Glen Innes there is a lot more.  If you want to find sapphires and some zircon well worth the $20 to go out to Billabong Blue unless your friend there has access to some private spots or something that they think you can do well at without paying.  At Inverell you can also go out to Staggy creek for tourmaline, topaz, and if super lucky the occasional diamond.  There was diamond mining out Copeton Dam way (out of Inverell) but I haven't figured out where to go for that and a high probability of a lot of work for little or no reward.

I;m going to be in Inverell with the kids in the new year so would love to hear of any good crystal places.  You can apparently find some good Citrine etc.  There are places to find Jelly Bean quartz near Tingha (Stannifer) but that doesn't float my boat.  Also Tingha sands where they sand mine but for a fee you can dig through the waste heaps for rutilated quartz and other crystals.

Just google a lot of the places mentioned in here and you'll find a heap more information.  Also a normal google search as a number of the members here have done great blogs and even youtube video's!

Have fun!

MissyP

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 09:11:15 PM »
Thanks for the info Mr Sydney. Not much of a gold person, probably because I suck at panning haha. Would be more into the small crystals at hanging rock and if you have a location of interest in Uralla I would appreciate it as our time is unfortunately limited to one day at each location. My man in Inverell is a seasoned rock kicker so I think he has the goods on where to go. Mainly again, looking at quartz crystals but if a pretty blue stone were to fall in my lap...well I would be pretty happy! Will give you guys the update upon my return...if hubby and I survive a week in the caravan together ;)

Plutonium

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 09:29:56 PM »
Another Alternative is via Manilla, Barraba, Bingara and Copeton.
There's a couple of well signposted fossicking areas along the way.
There's also some tourist glacial areas Woods reef for Asbestos and Mt Bora (paragliding) is a great place to pick up lava bombs with a good view over the area.
Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 11:10:58 AM »
The old Copeton Diamond Mine was next to Copeton Town.... Which is at the Bottom of Copeton Dam.... There are several other mines around the Dam that could hold a goodie or two..... Good Luck, Hope you have a very long Snorkel  ;D

The Crystals you can find at the Dam, are only accessible in times of Drought(less than 30% capacity) There is a Large Quartz vein that runs under the dam and this is where the Crystals are Located....

Gemster.... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 07:50:06 PM »
Gemster - even with snorkelling or scuba diving I don't like your chances of seeing anything on the bottom of that dam!!

Missy - very curious about how you go at your 'special spot'in Uralla!  Lovely place!

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]

The illusion of cubes by RoughCreations