collapse

Author Topic: soldering with gemstones in place  (Read 230 times)

hinksgf3

• View Profile
    • Email
soldering with gemstones in place
« on: January 10, 2018, 04:36:40 PM »
Hi teaching myself silversmithing, my question is after i set my cabochons in a bezel setting and want to add more silver to the design which involves more soldering how do I keep the stone cool, is there a product out there for this purpose I find it hard to set the stone after all the solder work is finished. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: soldering with gemstones in place
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 08:17:23 PM »
Sorry set the cab after all the soldering otherwise you can damage the stone and or create a weak solder join.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Rusted

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:20:07 PM »
You could try wire wrapping, no soldering needed.

Another interesting method is to cut a groove around the edge of the cab and wrap the stone with a wire fitted in the groove.

Bucket

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »
Having been in the position where I had to resize a ring after setting the stone, and trying to do so caused the faceted blue topaz to fracture along a cleavage plain, I can suggest to you to remove the stone before further soldering. Some stones are less prone to cracking, but I still wouldn't try it again. Lesson learnt.
Common sense isn't exactly common

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
    • MSN Messenger - colbell57@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:55 PM »
Hi Hinksjf3

I have been silversmithing for ten years now and a product I use  when enlarging a gold or stirling silver ring with a stone, is a  product named TECHNOFLUX.  It is a paste and use it liberally on the setting ensuring that it completly covers the stone.  This product  protects the setting from heat, forming a solid barrier between the stone and the heat, I have had no failures with the product and have used it a bit over the years.   But maybe I'm lucky, there a people on this site more experienced than me, but its work a try.

Bucket

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »
Hi Hinksjf3

I have been silversmithing for ten years now and a product I use  when enlarging a gold or stirling silver ring with a stone, is a  product named TECHNOFLUX.  It is a paste and use it liberally on the setting ensuring that it completly covers the stone.  This product  protects the setting from heat, forming a solid barrier between the stone and the heat, I have had no failures with the product and have used it a bit over the years.   But maybe I'm lucky, there a people on this site more experienced than me, but its work a try.

Thanks Tinker, not sure if this is the same stuff I used on the above mentioned topaz ring, but it was a paste that I spread liberally over the stone. It was when I was cleaning the remnants of the paste off the stone that I noticed it had fractured, so I had to take it out and cut another one to replace it anyway! Some have suggested placing the stone in damp sand to help protect it as well, but I found that the sand tended to suck the heat out of the silver and it was a lot harder to solder.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Robol

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »
This is an interesting topic.
 My ex has a lovely silver ring which has a baroque pearl with silver strands wrapping around and over the pearl in order to hold it in place. I have always wondered how this was done without damaging the pearl. So far the only way I can see it being able to be done would be to somehow fabricate ( solder ) the silver lattice before installing the pearl and then trying to push the lattice down onto the pearl without it kinking as it becomes smaller.
I realise this is travelling sideways to the original question but the answer to one may be the answer to both.
Anyone with ideas please.
Mods. please move to a new topic if you feel this is in the wrong place.

Cheers Rob.

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 10:58:33 AM »
Bucket as I said, I have use this paste for a while and have had no problems, mate I wouldn't put your stone in wet sand as it intensify the heat and cause the stone to crack.  Sorry I can't suggest anything else, but there maybe more experienced people on this site that know a bit more than me on stones.  Good Luck Bucket, its damn hard to work out, with stones able to take heat and others cracking.. beers

harryopal

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 04:05:47 PM »
As a general proposition soldering with the gem already set in the item is not a good idea. Wet sand does help if the stone is immersed but then it depends very much on the equipment you are using. I have never got past using LPG with a fine flame and would definitely not try soldering with wet sand or anything else. If you have a proper jeweller's system with dual tanks and a fine torch that creates a very intense and narrow pointed flame you may be able to make a quick solder using wet sand.
If you are generally fabricating and making jewellery then have a look at ganoskin.com. This is a jewellery website with lots of information and you can ask questions.
But to return to your original question;  that you ask suggests you are not a much experienced jeweller so better not to solder with a gemstone in place.
At least that's my opinion but then I know nothing.

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 06:53:54 PM »
I  would concure with you Harryopal.

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Newbie heading for Northern NSW mid December by Lord_Thunda
[January 17, 2018, 07:57:16 PM]

Rock Crystal/Quartz Crystal by Tailor marc
[January 17, 2018, 07:19:58 PM]

hello by Philip
[January 17, 2018, 03:55:33 PM]

ALFers trip to Powelltown 17 Feb, 2018 by Bucket
[January 17, 2018, 12:43:36 PM]

Fossicking Cloncurry by Gemster
[January 16, 2018, 10:05:41 PM]

Xmas with the fam ne nsw. by MrSydney
[January 16, 2018, 05:04:13 PM]

soldering with gemstones in place by tinker
[January 15, 2018, 06:53:54 PM]

Crystal Opals to back or not to back by Pusscat
[January 15, 2018, 05:04:58 AM]

Jellybean Junction - Stannifer - great to contact if going to the area by rosemart
[January 14, 2018, 02:53:24 PM]

MINERAMA 8th - 11 March 2018 by MrSydney
[January 14, 2018, 10:43:13 AM]

Want to buy Coober pedy rough by Jimnyjerry
[January 13, 2018, 09:47:38 AM]

What di you feed your machine with today by Rockypaul
[January 13, 2018, 12:48:07 AM]

* Calendar

January 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13