collapse

Author Topic: soldering with gemstones in place  (Read 805 times)

hinksgf3

• View Profile
    • Email
soldering with gemstones in place
« on: January 10, 2018, 04:36:40 PM »
Hi teaching myself silversmithing, my question is after i set my cabochons in a bezel setting and want to add more silver to the design which involves more soldering how do I keep the stone cool, is there a product out there for this purpose I find it hard to set the stone after all the solder work is finished. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: soldering with gemstones in place
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 08:17:23 PM »
Sorry set the cab after all the soldering otherwise you can damage the stone and or create a weak solder join.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Rusted

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 09:20:07 PM »
You could try wire wrapping, no soldering needed.

Another interesting method is to cut a groove around the edge of the cab and wrap the stone with a wire fitted in the groove.

Bucket

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 04:51:12 PM »
Having been in the position where I had to resize a ring after setting the stone, and trying to do so caused the faceted blue topaz to fracture along a cleavage plain, I can suggest to you to remove the stone before further soldering. Some stones are less prone to cracking, but I still wouldn't try it again. Lesson learnt.
Common sense isn't exactly common

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
    • MSN Messenger - colbell57@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:55 PM »
Hi Hinksjf3

I have been silversmithing for ten years now and a product I use  when enlarging a gold or stirling silver ring with a stone, is a  product named TECHNOFLUX.  It is a paste and use it liberally on the setting ensuring that it completly covers the stone.  This product  protects the setting from heat, forming a solid barrier between the stone and the heat, I have had no failures with the product and have used it a bit over the years.   But maybe I'm lucky, there a people on this site more experienced than me, but its work a try.

Bucket

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 06:59:52 PM »
Hi Hinksjf3

I have been silversmithing for ten years now and a product I use  when enlarging a gold or stirling silver ring with a stone, is a  product named TECHNOFLUX.  It is a paste and use it liberally on the setting ensuring that it completly covers the stone.  This product  protects the setting from heat, forming a solid barrier between the stone and the heat, I have had no failures with the product and have used it a bit over the years.   But maybe I'm lucky, there a people on this site more experienced than me, but its work a try.

Thanks Tinker, not sure if this is the same stuff I used on the above mentioned topaz ring, but it was a paste that I spread liberally over the stone. It was when I was cleaning the remnants of the paste off the stone that I noticed it had fractured, so I had to take it out and cut another one to replace it anyway! Some have suggested placing the stone in damp sand to help protect it as well, but I found that the sand tended to suck the heat out of the silver and it was a lot harder to solder.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Robol

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »
This is an interesting topic.
 My ex has a lovely silver ring which has a baroque pearl with silver strands wrapping around and over the pearl in order to hold it in place. I have always wondered how this was done without damaging the pearl. So far the only way I can see it being able to be done would be to somehow fabricate ( solder ) the silver lattice before installing the pearl and then trying to push the lattice down onto the pearl without it kinking as it becomes smaller.
I realise this is travelling sideways to the original question but the answer to one may be the answer to both.
Anyone with ideas please.
Mods. please move to a new topic if you feel this is in the wrong place.

Cheers Rob.

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 10:58:33 AM »
Bucket as I said, I have use this paste for a while and have had no problems, mate I wouldn't put your stone in wet sand as it intensify the heat and cause the stone to crack.  Sorry I can't suggest anything else, but there maybe more experienced people on this site that know a bit more than me on stones.  Good Luck Bucket, its damn hard to work out, with stones able to take heat and others cracking.. beers

harryopal

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 04:05:47 PM »
As a general proposition soldering with the gem already set in the item is not a good idea. Wet sand does help if the stone is immersed but then it depends very much on the equipment you are using. I have never got past using LPG with a fine flame and would definitely not try soldering with wet sand or anything else. If you have a proper jeweller's system with dual tanks and a fine torch that creates a very intense and narrow pointed flame you may be able to make a quick solder using wet sand.
If you are generally fabricating and making jewellery then have a look at ganoskin.com. This is a jewellery website with lots of information and you can ask questions.
But to return to your original question;  that you ask suggests you are not a much experienced jeweller so better not to solder with a gemstone in place.
At least that's my opinion but then I know nothing.

tinker

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 06:53:54 PM »
I  would concure with you Harryopal.

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Blue or green obsidian by Orange Pirate
[December 13, 2018, 04:31:47 PM]

Minerama 2019 by Jimnyjerry
[December 13, 2018, 01:56:35 PM]

The Aztecs Eye and Lions Eye faceting designs. by cliffsearch
[December 09, 2018, 06:44:27 PM]

One At A Time - Please! by MakkyBrown
[December 06, 2018, 09:26:09 PM]

anyone got fossicking in Gippsland soon? by Jimnyjerry
[December 01, 2018, 03:58:57 PM]

Gemmasta Encoder Mod Thread by MakkyBrown
[November 30, 2018, 11:54:23 PM]

Mohs hardness of 2.2 colors beautiful stone by tinker
[November 29, 2018, 07:27:54 PM]

Problems with Polishing by ASI Industries
[November 28, 2018, 04:03:56 PM]

Joke of the Day by pc bowe
[November 27, 2018, 10:45:54 PM]

GEMORAMA by Lord_Thunda
[November 25, 2018, 11:11:26 PM]

Website Upgrade by Bucket
[November 20, 2018, 08:14:56 PM]

Tassie Pyrite by MALACHI
[November 20, 2018, 04:37:26 PM]

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

No calendar events were found.
Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 50
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Find us on Facebook

* Forum Stats

• stats Total Members: 3806
  • stats Total Posts: 53902
  • stats Total Topics: 5739
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 27