collapse

Author Topic: The Big Lap (of Oz)  (Read 1746 times)

Bucket

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Lap (of Oz)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 04:52:14 PM »
Thanks for that Mouse, I did read your post and found it quite interesting, not sure how long I'll have there yet, I have certain dates I have to keep, one including the arrival of our first grand child in Perth! Yes I know I'm going in the wrong direction, but the trip will include a return flight from Cairns to Perth prior to the Cape section. Thanks for the offer of answers to any questions, I may well take you up on that.
Bucket
Common sense isn't exactly common

Mouse

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Here for a good time, not a long time!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2018, 06:53:29 PM »
Hi All, just an update. Got away from Brisvegas a bit later than planned but went OK to Charleville. The Cosmos Centre was interesting even if you are not a star gazer. Never seen so many FLIES as out this way. Sticky little bush buggers.
Made it to Fullerton River. More flies. It is still well sign posted. No fires/max 2 days stay. While I toiled away moving heaven and earth, LOTO sat down and found a honey hole. They were literally rolling out of the soil as she rolled her hand through. Over 4000 carats in one morning, largest 28 carats. I hope most are cutters.
On to Cloncurry and met up with Fullerton. He is a wealth of info and has a lot of interesting rocks. Went to the Sunset Mine and had a great time wandering around and found a variety of minerals. Also spent 1 day at the Smoky location on Crystal Mtn and found a lot of small pretty crystals and sprays.
Headed south to Amethyst Castle. There were a number of diggings both on the  Castle and nearby. We dug and hammered for a couple of days and collected some chevron amethyst which I am hoping will turn out to be good enough to cab. Some was nearly faceting quality.
Then our holiday health problems struck again. LOTO had 2 tears in the retina. A quick drive to Mt Isa, a flight for her and drive for me to Townsville. A weeks R and R in T'ville for check up and a further 3 weeks in Cairns with family which brings us to now. Back to T'ville tomorrow and if all clear on to Mt Isa for a couple of days and on to Harts Range for a shortened couple of weeks.
I've put a couple of photos in my gallery of some of the rocks we collected. If anyone needs more info of locations etc just pm me.

Are there any other ALFers heading to Harts Range in the next couple of weeks? We will be arriving at the Entire Valley about the 12th. Would like to catch up.

Regards
Mick and LOTO (Carol)
Life is not all about the final destination, but the journey taken.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 07:52:31 AM »
Great read about your trip.  beers Sorry to hear about LOTO's eye problems.  Hope they do not occur again.Enjoy Harts Range, it is still on my wish list as well as a good look around Cloncurry region without gear shift and tyre problems.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Fullerton

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Friendly Heart Gems
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 09:36:46 PM »
Great to have caught up and helped you both with fossicking around the Cloncurry district - looks like you had quite a haul of quality bits and pieces.

Sorry to hear about the health issues but glad you're back into your travels again soon.

Cheers,
Fullerton

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Blue or green obsidian by Orange Pirate
[Today at 04:31:47 PM]

Minerama 2019 by Jimnyjerry
[Today at 01:56:35 PM]

The Aztecs Eye and Lions Eye faceting designs. by cliffsearch
[December 09, 2018, 06:44:27 PM]

One At A Time - Please! by MakkyBrown
[December 06, 2018, 09:26:09 PM]

anyone got fossicking in Gippsland soon? by Jimnyjerry
[December 01, 2018, 03:58:57 PM]

Gemmasta Encoder Mod Thread by MakkyBrown
[November 30, 2018, 11:54:23 PM]

Mohs hardness of 2.2 colors beautiful stone by tinker
[November 29, 2018, 07:27:54 PM]

Problems with Polishing by ASI Industries
[November 28, 2018, 04:03:56 PM]

Joke of the Day by pc bowe
[November 27, 2018, 10:45:54 PM]

GEMORAMA by Lord_Thunda
[November 25, 2018, 11:11:26 PM]

Website Upgrade by Bucket
[November 20, 2018, 08:14:56 PM]

Tassie Pyrite by MALACHI
[November 20, 2018, 04:37:26 PM]

* Calendar

December 2018
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

No calendar events were found.
Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 39
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Find us on Facebook

* Forum Stats

• stats Total Members: 3806
  • stats Total Posts: 53902
  • stats Total Topics: 5739
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 27