collapse

Author Topic: Minerama 2019  (Read 1786 times)

Philip

• ALF'er Silver Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Minerama 2019
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 04:16:06 PM »
I will do  :)

I enjoy getting up there for the week but this year with the little one will be a bit different.  If i do though i will make sure we catch up.

Philip

starsapphire78

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 06:31:20 PM »
I would like to go but I can't see it happening sadface

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2019, 04:03:56 PM »
Pulling of of going up to Minerama this year.  :(   Things have happened that make it impossible to go and enjoy it this year. 

To all that make it have a great time and pleas report how you went.  :)
 beers Jerry
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2019, 12:48:46 PM »
Hi Jerry,

So sorry to hear as always love the chance to catch up with you!

I hope life improves and I look forward to seeing you sometime soon!

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 07:25:29 PM »
Is there some sort of conspiracy to hide information about the 2019 Minerama? In previous years people were putting up stories about field trips and events at the show.
This year there has been nothing!
 As a previous Minerama chairman and organiser of about 12 years of Minerama field trips naturally I am still interested in how the event I helped to start is getting on.
John  Paix

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2019, 08:34:45 AM »
People may still be fossicking in the area Findem.  Minerama's face book page had little bit to show
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2019, 01:41:59 PM »
Hi Findem,

Only back from Glen last night.  Saw Lord Thunda and Topsieve and talked to quite a few people but here is my initial feedback.

Thursday - Day 1 - Apparently people got some nice sapphires on the Wellingrove trip.  Didn't speak to anyone who did the Oban trip.  Would be good if someone who did either of those trips said something.

Friday - Day 2 - I did Glen Elgin as someone indicated to me it was different than the Aroona Glen trip I did a few years earlier with Jerry and Lord T but turns out it was!  So after some initial digging and turning up nil again we left early.  Did speak to the non-property Minerama guy there who did say the year before some good stones were found that year but nobody we spoke to had found anything before we left.

Feedback on the Kingsgate trip I heard was that it wasn't that great.  Again would be good if someone could provide more specific feedback.

Saturday - only going to mention Crossmaglen.  Very low water so they let us on to a different spot that normally would be quite deep.  If you were willing to get right in the river there were quite a few top sievers found BUT unfortunately none of those I saw were any good.  I found 7 - 8 personally and none of them a cutter.  Topsieve was nearby and found a similar number and none of them cutters but he was in a good spot and took quite a bit of wash to process later and said he'd post here so curious if he ended up with any luck.  Lord T nothing of note.  Still - was good to get into a different area.

So while no great haul it was still good to see everyone and have some fund getting wet and dirty in the creeks!

Lord_Thunda

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 06:50:33 PM »
Apologies John  beers & Jerry  beers

I only went to Crossmaglen but did have a look around the tailgaters on Thurs & Friday. Talked to quite a few people & the word was the Showground Venue was a success with 1000 visitors Thurs & 1500 Friday.

I just found a few tiny sapphires myself but everyone enjoyed themselves as usual. Went out on Sunday to my Gemorama spot with Mr Sydney (Phill), Mal & a friend Sally. It was mainly to show them the sites & how easy it'd be to find stuff.

Went out to Yarrow Ck just near the bridge yesterday & we found a few small sapphires & garnets. On the way home we stopped off at the airport where a pile of gravel had been dumped. It had peridot all thru it but tiny bits. Even so, it was nice & very easy to find.

texta

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 08:29:40 PM »
Apologies John  beers & Jerry  beers

I only went to Crossmaglen but did have a look around the tailgaters on Thurs & Friday. Talked to quite a few people & the word was the Showground Venue was a success with 1000 visitors Thurs & 1500 Friday.

I just found a few tiny sapphires myself but everyone enjoyed themselves as usual. Went out on Sunday to my Gemorama spot with Mr Sydney (Phill), Mal & a friend Sally. It was mainly to show them the sites & how easy it'd be to find stuff.

Went out to Yarrow Ck just near the bridge yesterday & we found a few small sapphires & garnets. On the way home we stopped off at the airport where a pile of gravel had been dumped. It had peridot all thru it but tiny bits. Even so, it was nice & very easy to find.
i saw you there on the friday was going to say g'day but then i thought nah i dont know you and you dont know me i am not a very sociable person at the best of times so i left it at that . the mrs and i walked in the gate just after you did friday morning . and i dont think i know anyone else in here by sight so i dont know who else was there.i think we were gone by about lunch time and we went to inverell where i bought a new samsung tablet .
johno.

Lord_Thunda

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 10:10:14 AM »
G'day Johno  beers
 The amount of knowledge & useless info the brain can handle always comes in handy at some point in the future. Sharing that knowledge & info to others makes me feel good. I'm hopeless on names but faces I remember much easier. I meet lots of people & its always good to catch up.

Findem

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Blog
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 02:19:05 PM »
Thanks to all for the information.
Findem

Aussie Sapphire

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Aussie Sapphire
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 06:43:44 PM »
Topsieve was nearby and found a similar number and none of them cutters but he was in a good spot and took quite a bit of wash to process later and said he'd post here so curious if he ended up with any luck. 

Taking wash home to process later is strictly against the rules of Minerama field trips and quite honestly is a low act.

This is the kind of thing that makes landowners think twice about opening up access to fossickers.
You claim that fossicking is a low impact activity and then think it is quite ok to take a bootload or trailerload of dirt away from the location.  Not cool.

Leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 07:39:48 PM »
Well said Leah, If I was a field guide on that trip he would have been told where to go after I made him tip his wash out back in the creek >:(...... What were the Field Guides doing?
   Just can't educate some now can We... >:(
And 'People' complain that they go to the same places year in year out.. Reason is, cause when property owners read or hear about things like this they Don't TRUST Fossickers on their Properties anymore... And with good reason.... If you want Wash, buy it..

We will look out for 'Top Sieve' at Gemorama...

Gemster....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:07:29 PM by Gemster »
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2019, 09:50:28 AM »
Hi Leah,

In his defense at about 3:30 the trip organiser LITERALLY SAID "...if you want to put a bit of wash in a bucket to take with you do it now".  And it was only a single bucket from the area underwater he'd been working on all afternoon.

I thought about it but the person I was with was keen to go so I just let it go.

So this was not a case of loading up on a heap of wash to take away and it was with direct verbal permission.

bjm

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2019, 04:02:34 PM »
Well ,  Liz and myself have been going to M for nearly 15 years.Plus over the years have gone out with JP .Organized around  7 couples to go this year,none had ever been fossicking before.Plus  met up  with another 4 couples we knew  .All booked accommodation In GI before Xmas.Then spent money in Services club (18 for dinner),fuel ,odds and ends at the showgrounds,coffee shops etc. The bad news was none of us could get on a sapphire  field trip.!! By the time they published the trips  it was basically too late.I had to then take them out to Billabong Blue one day  ,enough said about the day there the better.!!!
There were others in our caravan park who also had come long distances only to find no trips available.I think  website pre booking will cause  a lot of problems unless  spots are left for  non bookers. Considering we had booked our accommodation months before trips  listed.Sent an email re these concerns to the info centre. Just have to book earlier was the reply. :(

Tags: Minerama 

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Can anyone identify this stone for me? by starsapphire78
[May 22, 2019, 03:14:54 AM]

Identification please by starsapphire78
[May 22, 2019, 03:07:32 AM]

Hogarth Range(Feldspar) and Ewingar(Smokey Quartz) by starsapphire78
[May 22, 2019, 03:03:58 AM]

GEMORAMA by starsapphire78
[May 22, 2019, 03:01:29 AM]

Sapphire wash by wes 2143
[May 20, 2019, 03:45:58 PM]

Using the NEW Media Gallery by xcvator
[May 15, 2019, 02:51:02 PM]

Worn Out 8" Laps by xcvator
[May 15, 2019, 10:30:44 AM]

Abandoned Gold Mine in Blackwood? by Rusted
[May 13, 2019, 08:00:11 PM]

gem rough Darwin to Broome by Bucket
[May 10, 2019, 04:13:47 PM]

polishing with marine carpet by tunneler
[May 09, 2019, 08:15:45 PM]

Any Graves 5XL owners in Tassie? by Donsinly
[May 09, 2019, 05:38:08 PM]

NSW - Tingha Sands by Tailor marc
[May 09, 2019, 01:29:18 PM]

* Calendar

May 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.
Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 16
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Find us on Facebook

* Forum Stats

• stats Total Members: 4009
  • stats Total Posts: 54619
  • stats Total Topics: 5823
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 27