collapse

Author Topic: Rock to tumbling in Samford/Dayboro area  (Read 4417 times)

LukeFly

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Rock to tumbling in Samford/Dayboro area
« on: December 27, 2018, 11:15:37 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to the geology world. I am looking for an activity to do with my son, so I thought we would give rock tumbling a go.

I have read that you can collect various stones for tumbling at Redcliffe, Brisbane area. I was wondering if there would be an areas around Samford or Dayboro where I could collect any sort of rock that would be worth polishing up in a tumbling?

Cheers
Luke

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Rock to tumbling in Samford/Dayboro area
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 01:16:37 PM »
Welcome LukeFly.
I'm not too sure about Brisbane environs so I will leave that to the locals, but you are right Fossicking for gemstones is a great activity to do with your boy, I always say the best thing about it is it forces you to slow down and have a good look around.

Lots of nice Petrified Wood, Agate and jaspers around South East Queensland a little bit further afield.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 03:11:06 PM »
G-day LukeFly and Welcome to ALF... You can start off by just walking any creeks near you and collecting anything that catches your eye... Look for Rocks with lines through them or 'Pretty' colours...
   The rock you mentioned at Redcliff is a type of Chalcedony.. Google for some pics... It is collected by just walking the Mud flats at low tide... Just watch out you don't pick-up a Stone fish as they are also in the same area... There are other locations on the north side but I don't know what is around... You can also buy rough tumbling material at gem and mineral shows, and Brisbane have a few every year... Or join your Local Lapidary/Gem club and you will get some from there and they will also advise you on how and what to Tumble...
     Aussie Sapphire has a good 'Download' on How to Tumble in their Store...
Here are some OLD Mud Maps and im not too sure if they are still accessible now..
 http://www.lapidaryworld.com/maps_QLD.html   Some of these locations are National Parks now and Collecting is a No No...

Gemster..... beers
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 03:28:44 PM by Gemster »
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

harryopal

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 10:49:30 PM »
As suggested finding a local lapidary club would be useful. Most clubs have fossicking expeditions and most young people can quickly be drawn into this as an activity. A combination of fossicking and tumbling offers a great way to share with your son. As a matter of interest, how old is he?

Check out gem - lapidary shows and something within striking distance as most shows have great variety and exciting materials

if he is at all responsive then it can soon lead to a never ending area of interest and you then have a young person with a well worthwhile hobby. So many youngsters have no interests outside pads and laptops and are often bored and resentful.

Good luck.
harryopal

LukeFly

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 10:41:44 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome. And thank you for all the advice.

My son is almost 5, and has an interest in rocks that I would like to foster.

I have been in contact with the closest lapidary club, and they also recommended Redcliffe and sent through some photos of what I should be looking for. I will definitely check it out, but was hoping to find something a bit closer to the north west of Brisbane, so I will have a look at the local creeks.

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 11:14:18 PM »
Hi LukeFly,

On the Left Hand Side of the pier at Redcliffe (if you are facing the water) are some red an white mud rocks with lots of little round black beads in the holes and sand around them. 

Many of the black beads look a bit like ball bearings.  They are Haematite (an iron ore) and are attracted to magnets, so take a magnet with you the kids will have fun finding it.

Haematite is named after the Greek name meaning for blood stone.  It leaves a red streak.  It polishes to a steely grey colour with a high lustre and is used in Jewellery.

Have fun.
regards
Flsah
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

LukeFly

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »
Hi Flash,

Thanks for the Redcliffe tips.

Cheers
Luke

LukeFly

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 09:07:30 AM »
Hi All,

Here is a bit of an update on my search in the area. Over the last week or so I have explored 4 separate creeks. My findings have not been very impressive. Please forgive my lack of appropriate geological terms, I am still learning. The most interesting rocks I have been able to find so far opaque quartz, mainly white and a few pink, yellow and grey ones.

I did also find a few interesting rocks with bands through them, refer to attached photo. If someone could help me identify them that would be greatly appreciated. I scratched them with the quartz and they appear just as hard.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 03:45:40 PM »
The centre one looks like it may be red jasper with quartz banding, most of the others do appear to be different shades of quartz. The only one I'm not sure of is the one with brown/white banding, really not sure from that photo what it might be.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]