collapse

Author Topic: Buying a slab saw  (Read 21507 times)

Maria

Buying a slab saw
« on: February 26, 2019, 02:04:11 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking into buying a new 14-16inch slab saw from either Lortone, Highland Park or Diamond Pacific. So far I wasn't very successful with my online research so I'm hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction. :)
Thank you, Maria

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Buying a slab saw
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 05:48:49 PM »
Welcome Maria. Not sure if you've checked out the host of this forum but if you haven't thismay be worth a look: https://www.aussiesapphire.com.au/sawing/saws
Failing that, try and find a lapidary club in your area, they may be able to help you decide.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 07:48:51 AM »
Hi,

Unfortunately, Lortone have stopped making their slab saws recently.
This is directly due to a conpetitor (Highland Park??) copying their design, making them in China but refusing to stock spare parts for which they send customers back to Lortone.  To rub salt into the wound, Lortone's machines are subject to Trump's new tariffs on the materials (causing a significant increase in costs) but for some strange reason, the Chinese made versions are not subject to the tariffs making it even tougher for Lortone to compete.  They have therefore decided to pull the pin on slab saws which is difficult for us as a dealer but we understand their reasoning on this.

Have not dealt with the other two companies on slab saws.

Cheers
Leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

HILUX12345

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 03:41:08 PM »
Hi Maria
You can purchase a slab saw from LAPIDARY SLAB SUPPLIES  in Mackay QLD . Just call Scott on 0749593845 or 0429991344 . They have rugged slabsaws the designs are old fashion and proven too last the test of time . Aussie built . They answer the phone you deal directly with the makers and they use there own saws . I do not think anyone else has slabsaws in stock in Aus . With the exit of Gemmaster and Lortone . And no stockist of Highland Park in Aus its not easy . Good luck trying to buy in the usa and try and ship to Aus . If you really want Highland Park machines try Glen Archer at Outback mining in WA . He may be able to help . And Aradon gems in QLD share a tent with Highland park in Arizona each year . Good luck .

MissyP

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Rocks and minerals are the oldest storytellers.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 06:33:27 AM »
Hi Maria, how did you go with the rock saw? I am actually looking to buy something similar.
Thanks, Missy.

glot

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 08:27:08 PM »
Only saw I would buy would be a Highland Park from flat lap in Townsville

faodail

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 09:36:14 AM »
Thank you Aussie Sapphire for the intel on Lortone. What a shame, as I have their tumblers.

I am looking for a slab saw too.  They seem to be almost as rare as hen's teeth. They are not cheap so being able to buy replacement parts would be critical.

If a competitor (Highland Park??) do not stock replacement parts for their slab machine then would it be best to use an Aussie made machine?  I saw that there is an Aussie brand on the market (Lapidary slab supplies).  They come up in my google searches as the only Lapidary slab saw maker in Oz.  Are there any others and I missed them? I like buying Aussie stuff when I can.

Has anyone used their machines and provide feedback in terms of performance and spare parts?  Also, usability as I am a clutz and don't want to loose my fingers. 

Thank you in advance.

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 09:19:07 PM »
Apart from Flatlap in Townsville have you checked out Scott's saws at lapidary Slab Supplies? Aussie made saws up to 24" with power feed etc, they're solid machines.

faodail

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 09:39:27 PM »
Hiya Dihusky. 
Thank you very much for your reply and recommendation.

Yes I did look at them, they are very competitive for their Highland Park 12".  I was wondering though about replacement parts for this one.  Have you had any issues?

I have read on this site that they are made in Asia under the Highland Park label, but it looks like that there are no replacement parts?  I read that the company directs consumers to Lortone, who no longer make slab saws... ergo on replacement parts either? 

Lapidary Slab Supplies indicate a 12 month warranty on the motor.........that doesn't seem adequate.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 08:59:07 AM »
12 months is the industry standard in Australia for warranties on electrical items. A $10K TV still only has a 12 months. Spare parts is something I would be looking at, if the company doesn't offer them, I'd be looking at another company.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 04:32:32 PM »
12 months is the industry standard in Australia for warranties on electrical items. A $10K TV still only has a 12 months. Spare parts is something I would be looking at, if the company doesn't offer them, I'd be looking at another company.

I don't have a Highland Park, my slab saw is a 10" Gemmasta with power feed. Only saw I'm looking for right now is a 4" trim saw.

12 month warranty is standard and a legal requirement. I've never had problems with motors, even the newer ones. Only one that gave trouble was the motor on the cheap Chinese 6" tile saw, did it's bearings, but $12 later and it's fixed.

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]

The illusion of cubes by RoughCreations