collapse

Author Topic: Harts Range Trip June/July 2019  (Read 3598 times)

RockOn

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Harts Range Trip June/July 2019
« on: April 17, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »
Hi all first time poster here but long time following these forums. Heading out to Harts Range in Late June/Early July this year for a couple of weeks fossicking. I was last out there in 2016 and had a blast, spent most of my time between Mud Tank and the Kyanite locations in the Entire Valley, was a great trip and came out with some great specimens.

I know there have been some changes in access to a lot of locations due to various reasons, does anyone know if you can still legally access the Entire Valley using the entrance just over the Plenty River if you were headed East From Gemtree? I know last time I was there you could go a fair way in before coming to gates with no permission allowed.

This trip I want to head to the Western side of the Entire Valley to the Epidote locations and explore more of the Central Mines around Mount Palmer. Does anyone know if there are issues with access past spotted tiger campground? I'd like to stock up and do a fair bit of hiking in there.

Any advice would be appreciated, I wasn't aware of the permits being required to stay out past Spotted Tiger, I did get permission from the traditional landholders at Atijere before going in last time. Is this something new? 

MrSydney

• ALF'er Platinum
Re: Harts Range Trip June/July 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »
Hi RockOn,

I can't help but just wanted to say it sounds like an awesome trip!  It one of the top items on my bucket list so looking forward to hearing more and seeing some photo's on the other side!!

RockOn

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »
Hey MrSydney,

As anyone that has been out there will tell you it's worth the effort! Not just for the fossicking side of things, the place is amazing. Being so remote it's nice to get away from all the white noise of the modern world, no phones and no distractions.

This time I plan on documenting the trip better, I'll try and give a day by day break down and get plenty of pictures. I'm not sure who the member is on these forums but I enjoyed their break down of last years trip.

The first trip out there I really didn't know where I was going and fumbled around, my wife had the best find of the trip jagging a bomb 430ct champagne zircon from mudtank. It looked like a rock half buried in the surface. The stone is fractured somewhat but one day it will be good to get it cut, on close inspection there are a few good stones hiding in it.

This year will be more focused on gettting into some remote spots, there will be a lot of hiking involved. The problem with Harts is trying to find up to date information, last time I was there it was very difficult to get into remote areas due to so much growth. The traditional landholders at Atijere told us that it had been an unusually wet out there and the place was in need of a fire. No idea what it is like at the moment.

RockOn

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 02:14:20 PM »

Image of the Zircon does not do it justice for the colour, the thing is amazing! For reference of the size it's sitting on an energiser headlamp and you can see my wifes fingers in the background.

Mouse

• ALF'er Silver Member
  • Here for a good time, not a long time!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 11:06:38 PM »
Entire Valley is on Mt Riddock Station. Contact is 08 89569963, Steve or Bec. There is another number ending in 9720. That's Steves old man Dick who is retired(?). Steve was in his chopper mustering in the valley when we were there last June. We had rung beforehand and caught up with him in the yards. He was pretty cool but had had some probs with fossickers but more so with 4WDers. Good idea to call him before you go and he will tell you the no go areas. We camped under some old sheds towards the kyanite diggings. I could rustle up some photos and coords if you wish to PM me.
There was another member from the previous year that did a great report on his time there. Forgotten his name but some of the old stagers will read this and have his name. I think he is a spec collector from Broken Hill.
Good luck and enjoy.
Life is not all about the final destination, but the journey taken.

starsapphire78

• ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 04:01:44 PM »
 Have a good trip, find lots and lots of shinies.. And watch out  for lol cat's, and attack kittens

RockOn

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 08:44:04 AM »
Thanks for the advice Mouse, it's a shame the actions of a few can stuff things up for the majority out there. I understand the frustrations the owner of the station must have when people doing the wrong thing are costing him time and money. Can't wait for the trip, it's a special place out there. We had an amazing day in 2016 digging Kyanite, it was cold and cloudy most of the day, we found kyanite falling out of mica deposits and got one of the most beautiful sunsets you could ever imagine.

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]

The illusion of cubes by RoughCreations