collapse

Author Topic: Fossicking contacts for Bellata  (Read 5743 times)

rayza

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Fossicking contacts for Bellata
« on: May 02, 2019, 02:37:56 PM »
Does anyone have any contacts for fossicking around Bellata?  I have read everything I can find on the internet and it doesn't appear all that current.  Even any identification of the owners of the quarries.  I have tried the council and the information centre in Narrabri and neither were of any help at all.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Fossicking contacts for Bellata
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 05:29:04 PM »
To my knowledge, the quarry at Bellata is out of bounds, most of the fossicking is done on the side of the roads int he area, wherever new work is done is better. Apparently the old caravan park manager was quite helpful, however that has long since closed. There are some here that go there more regularly than I, hopefully they may be able to help you out.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 07:09:26 AM »
Even back in the day (1960s) the gravel roads were better than the quarries.

Lapis Lupinus

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 02:14:11 PM »
I'd have to say the gravel roads too. I have found some nice agates up Millie road (over the railway line). Years ago you could get onto private land but access is now more difficult.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »
 I know all quarries in the area are on Private Property and owners are not letting anyone on except for 1 Person who I cant name... He has the keys to a few very productive Quarries, better than the roadside.... ;)

Gemster....  beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Lapis Lupinus

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »
I wonder if there is any way to win the trust of these property owners. I'm hanging to get my hands on some good agate.

Gemster

• ALF'er VIP
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 10:22:46 AM »
No, they don't trust anyone after past happenings.... Entering fields that have just been planted is one fine example.... They are happy with the current setup and Trust only one fellow... These Agates are not real big, the biggest I have seen is smaller than your fist and most around the size of your thumb You can still find these Agates on the road, but they are getting harder to find... I could get you some, but I won't see him for a while....

Gemster... beers
I swing a 12-pound hammer,smash gibbers by the ton
I used to think it convict work,but now i think it's FUN

Gerda

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 07:31:28 PM »
We have spent the last few days fossicking around Bellata. (Car trouble kept us in the area longer than we had planned). Rain was forecast and many farmers were frantically preparing and sowing their fields, just in time before it arrived. The rain washed the dusty road side gravels uncovering some excellent agates and petrified wood. The best times to fossick are bright sunshine after a shower and walking towards the sun when it is low on the horizon and shining through translucent stones, especially damp ones.
Palmeston Quarry, on the cemetery road has a number of contact numbers on the locked gate. After ringing the mobile number we have always been given permission to walk in. The contact person also always tell us that it hasnt been worked recently and it has been cleaned out, but there is always something to find, you just need to look a little harder and longer.

The 2019 fossicking season is just beginning!! We have left Victoria and are heading north.

I am an avid reader of the posts on this forum. Thank you to the regular and occasional contributors who provide so much pleasure and information.

Gerda

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]