collapse

Author Topic: Faceting Designs Book  (Read 2129 times)

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Faceting Designs Book
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2019, 10:42:11 AM »
Andrew ,
The book is most interesting - good to see some original thinking in design to maximise the beauty of faceted stones. Trouble is I don't know which pattern to try first !!!
John
Thanks John

FlashGP

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2019, 11:09:20 PM »
Hi Andrew,

Congratulations on your book.  It is interesting to compare the effect of the pavillion facet shapes against the performance of the design.  The arrow shaped facets in many of your designs seem to be the key to a good performance across a wider range of tilt angles than the more traditional elongated diamond shaped mains facets in standard cuts.

Regards,

Gordon
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Ghost

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2019, 08:10:01 AM »
FlashGP,
This effect has long been suspected.
Hence the cut 'SRB With Spiked Mains', and the many designs with vertically split mains.
A case of the computer confirming what the eye has already seen.
Congratulation to Andrew for incorporating the effect into his designs.
Regards,   Ghost.

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2019, 05:36:58 PM »
Hi Flash and Ghost,
I think I follow what your saying.
The as you say arrows and diamond shapes both work. Arrows are imo better.  It is a case of fitting 7 or 9-fold(really 1 fold)  pavilion to an even girdle symmetry shape.  The technique does it fairly smoothly without creating a mess. To try and use diamond shaped mains becomes more of a mess and harder to meetpoint.
The performance is coming from the 7 and 9 fold symmetry pavilion.
Checkout one of my free designs Seven RBS and compare it with Seven Steps in the book both really easy to cut and great performance. Crowns would probably swap.
https://facetingdesigns.com/downloads/SevenRBSAIB060.pdfI have also started TRYING, and it is certainly trying lol, to upload a few videos of test cutting etc to Instagram.  https://www.instagram.com/abfacetdesign/
Photographing/videoing clear stones like topaz I'm finding quite tricky.

CheersAndrewps. I am also progressinig on my concave machine. I'll soon have most of the cutter unit made and will be working on electrics. I'll upload a couple of pics soon. I have to make up a puller to remove the collet holder from the shaft as the shaft needs shortening to reduce flex. Motor with 8mm shaft is probably better than the 6mm on the motor I have. I'll try the 6mm shaft motor but have a feeling it might flex a bit if using a heavy hand polishing.

Rusted

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2019, 04:55:32 AM »
I recommend cutting a simple shape first to get the feel of the way Andrews designs work, they are a bit different.

Well I jumped in at the deep end as usual and cut an oval first up, after couple of hiccups it came out amazing.

I started my oval on a small piece of Peridote and after a while I got completely bamboozled, I took that off and threw it in the bin and started the same design on a bigger piece of Springsure Labradorite, I got to the same place again in the design but now could see where it was heading (bigger stone) so easily finished it. Beautiful performance for a fairly low RI stone.

I did save the Peridote from the bin, it will see another day.

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2019, 07:22:03 PM »
Hi Rusted,Sorry you had trouble. The ovals would be the hardest to cut. I think now you have done one it should hopefully be easy. I tried to explain how the "fusion" principle worked. I spent considerable time trying to work out how best to sequence and explain. The instructions page etc, but it is a new concept.
Any suggestions :) on how I could have better explained. Maybe I need an instruction video.
I think another issue could come from people skipping the preform step on the "fusion" designs.Volume 2 won't have many "fusion" designs, maybe one or two.
CheersAndrew

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:03:39 PM by MakkyBrown »

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2019, 08:38:14 PM »
Using a texta also helps seeing the preform facet is cut away to set the tier depth and not easy to see with a small stone.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 08:39:58 PM by MakkyBrown »

Rusted

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2019, 08:08:51 AM »
Hi Makky

My problem came about because I hit a flaw near the girdle after I had cut the facets that remove the preform TCP. It left me in a spot that I couldn't get out of without recutting them, the stone was too small to really see what was happening anyway.

Not a problem with the instructions or anything you have done, it really is quite easy once you get the feel for the way it works.
I chose the Oval specifically because I could see it was going to be difficult, there's no better way for me to get a difficult concept to gell than having a go, making mistakes and working through them. I think.

It really is the best Oval I have ever cut, a clear winner over anything oval I have done before. Difficult, yes but a clear winner.

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2019, 12:48:08 PM »
Thanks Rusted. I hate cutting ovals :) They take me twice as long as rounds. Which one did you cut?
There are a lot of designs in the book that don't require the fusion preform.The performance from the pavilions patterns used in the two hearts is imo(biased opinion) the best I've seen(especially in low RI). So I used them in other shapes.
CheersAndrew

Rusted

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2019, 09:10:10 PM »
The Fusion nine oval 1.42, because it is around the right ratio of length to width for a cast setting I have.
I cut a nice piece of Zircon for the setting originally but it might as well be a piece of glass, just a dead lifeless stone. I might scratch around and see if I have another piece of Zircon a I can give a go, that or a nice Flinders Island Topaz.

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2019, 09:42:56 PM »
Hi Rusted,
Well you certainly picked the hardest one. :) And at 1:1.42 as far as I'd want to push the fusion concept performance wise. Performance will increase significantly with designs that have lower l/w ratios. Designs like hexafusion are really powerful.
CheersAndrew
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:44:28 PM by MakkyBrown »

FlashGP

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2019, 09:49:46 AM »
Hi Andrew,

Good to hear your concave machine is coming along.  I am using a motor with a 5mm shaft and haven't run into trouble with flex in the shaft.  The end of my collet finishes only 1 or 2mm from where the shaft leaves the front bearing.  I think the bigger issue is perfectly centering the collet on the motor shaft.  I included a bit of a discussion on this in the article in the latest Facet Talk.

I am still experimenting with an extension shaft (150mm shaft with the collet mount machined as a single unit) mounted in a couple of bearings.  My first attempt was an abject failure, but I have since found that the shaft seems to run true at each end, but is not perfectly round in the middle.  Attempt 2 will be with the self centring pillow block bearings mounted at each end.  I tried the linear style bearings (which can also be used for a rotating shaft) but with the eccentricity of the shaft, these were not smooth enough.  A bearing mounted shaft introduces a fair amount of bearing noise, especially on my configuration of a plywood platform..

Anyway, I'm purchasing a second copy of your facet designs book for our lapidary club.  We have a fair number of new cutters and some decent designs would be great.  A lot of the old designs they have window badly.

Regards
Gordon.
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

MakkyBrown

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2019, 08:03:45 PM »
Hi Flash, Thanks. Book is on it's way. I've just figured out how to machine a protractor so hopefully I'll have a concave machine update tomorrow with pics.
CheersAndrew

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

POLL: Where is the high spot on your faceting machine? by Shifter55
[October 13, 2019, 03:41:58 PM]

Testing testing by Faceting Frank
[October 13, 2019, 02:11:38 PM]

Polishing zircon by Faceting Frank
[October 09, 2019, 11:04:21 PM]

MB concave build by FlashGP
[October 09, 2019, 12:08:45 AM]