collapse

Author Topic: Help How to spot a Fake  (Read 4683 times)

nzhorsey

Help How to spot a Fake
« on: December 30, 2019, 11:40:24 PM »
Hi Everyone

Firstly, thank you so much for reading this all you legends who give your time, effort and energy to help a newbie like me.

I’m so sorry if this is a dumb question but I tried searching and couldn’t find much. I am about to celebrate 20 years of marriage and apparently the gem to celebrate this milestone is an Emerald. I’ve been looking around and think I have found one.

How can I tell if it is real or fake. It comes with an offical looking report from AIG, American International Gemlabs. This is the first time I’ve done this and just want to know if I’m barking up the right tree, so to speak? Here are some more details that I don’t really understand:
Hardness: 7.5
Shape: Oval faceted Cut
Measurements: 11mm x 8.4mm
Weight: 3.88ct
Comment: CEE(O) Minor - what on earth does this mean.

Does anyone also know what I should be paying for this stone as I’m wanting to get it inset into a platinum ring to replace her wedding ring:)

All help and advice would be bugle appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Aussie Sapphire

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Aussie Sapphire
Re: Help How to spot a Fake
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 07:18:14 AM »
Disregard the hardness number - that is not really of interest to you.

Shape is a standard oval shape - I presume you are happy with the shape of the gem.

Size - 11 x 8.4mm is not a standard calibrated size so if you intend to set it in a piece of jewellery, it may cost a bit more for jeweller to make custom setting rather than use an off-the-shelf calibrated size setting.  Extra cost may not be an issue for you.  11x9 or 10x8 is a standard size.  Depending on where it has been cut, depth may or may not be ideal.

Weight - this describes the weight of the stone in carats but not really of interest to you in practical terms.  Size is more important if you intend to set it.

Comment - this is to do with enhancement treatments.  CEE - Clarity Enhancement Emerald.  The minor grade indicates minor traces of oil.  Probably not unusual (emerald is commonly treated) but depends how you feel about treatments.  Need to be cautious how you handle a treated (oiled) emerald - ie. dont wear them in bath/shower or while washing up in sink for example - dont clean in ultrasonic.

Hope this helps.

cheers
leah

Aussie Sapphire - The Lapidary Warehouse

harryopal

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 02:50:56 PM »
As with any area of commerce there are honest dealers and shady dealers. And there are many dishonest traders who will happily produce authentic looking documents while the stone may be a treated low grade stone or a fake. A natural quality emerald can be very expensive, so colour enhancement through heating of lesser quality stones has seen many luckless buyers paying top dollar for a cheap stone. Assuming your seller is an honest and scrupulous trader then ask if the stone has been heat treated, irradiated, or enhanced in any way.
Trade ethics are supposed to be that these details are offered to the customer at point of trade but if the person doesn't ask I can understand a trader being reluctant to begin the sales process with a negative. A bit like a car salesman having to begin by saying, "yes, it is a beautiful looking car although it recently had the motor restored and while it looks like a Porsche it is actually remodelled Toyota,"
harryopal

glot

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 08:35:00 PM »
You wont be able to tell. Buy from a reputable retailer and make sure you have a cert of authentication. Let them do the homework. Certain countries that shall remain un named will print a fake cert without blinking. If you buy from a reputable dealer, consumer law protects you.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 08:37:03 PM by glot »

steve f

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 06:56:36 PM »
did you say India

Recent Activities

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[Today at 09:41:30 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by Bucket
[March 17, 2024, 12:36:14 PM]

Club Badges or Pins by Suparoo