collapse

Author Topic: Help with gemmasta and equiment identification  (Read 343 times)

AlanMc

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
Help with gemmasta and equiment identification
« on: January 17, 2020, 10:01:09 PM »
I have just finished cleaning and adjusting a faceting machine gemmasta 2 or 3.  The machine came with 40 Laps all solid metal, 50 brass dops (without a grove) and 50 aluminum (with a grove cut in them). 
My problem is as follows – I learned to facet (about 6 months ago) on a VJ Faceting machine (was original buying a new one but it was going to take to long to get) and I got offered this gemmasta 2 or 3 (believe it is a 3) with a lot of other machines ( 3 tumbles, 2 grinders, 2 polishes , rock/slap cutter and small trim saw plus a lot of other equipment and heaps of stones to practice on) and thought it was a good deal.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the following: -
1.   How do you use a gemmasta?  I understand the basics. Looking for a book, manual, video, etc
2.   The brass dops, how do you use the brass dops?  How do you align them? I know that the aluminum ones you would align via the grove.  Am I correct?
3.   Have I identified the machines in the pictures correctly?
4.   And did I overpay for the equipment and other gear? I paid $2000 (this was the ball park figure people suggested when I was originally looking at a second hand machine.
The equipment (all works and run correctly): -
1.   Facet machine Gemmasta 3 - Laps 40 – from 100 grit all to polishing (all solid metal), 100 dops and waxes, headloops etc. Picture of machine included.
2.   3 x Rock Tumbler  a 50 KG machine (2 by 25kg drums), a 25KG machine (2 by 12.5KG drums) and 2 KG machine Plus medium for rock tumbler (about 3 kg)
3.   Foredom  Hand pieces h20 (3 new and 1 used) ( I have a foredom red with a h30)
4.   Small trim saw
5.   Large rock saw (with a weigh to pull rock through)
6.   Stone grinder 2 barrel with a polishing wheel on out side
7.   Small bench grinder with a polishing wheel
8.   Small stand alone polishing machine
9.   Large Flat Lap
10.   Plus a lot of other small gear torches, magnesium blocks, saws, gem holder, etc

I also got some stones :-
1 . 30kg opals some color
2.  1 KG sapphires (some faceable about 4 carat or larger)
3. 3kg of topaz (some faceable 3 carats)
4. 20KG of slabs and mixed stones

Dihusky

• ALF'er Silver Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help with gemmasta and equiment identification
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 11:15:15 AM »
For $2k I think you have done very well.

An mast machine is going to be different from a VJ, I have both systems, and early VJ and a Hall 2000, my preference is the Hall, but my wife prefers the VJ. Doesn't matter which it is, both will cut a very good stone. The GF2 is probably a bit more limited on angle accuracy, but you can learn to cope with that.

Looks to me as though you'll need an expert eye to help you work out exactly what you have and what is usable, the large number of solid laps combined with the age of the machine would tend to indicate that the coarse cutting laps have had diamond rolled into their surface. It's an old technique where you coat with diamond powder then using a bearing on a handle roll the diamond into the lap surface, one bearing per diamond grit to prevent cross contamination.

Some questions: What area are you located, do you have a transfer jig in the kit, do you have a 45 degree mounting with alignment plate for doing the tables, do you have a quality straight edge?

If you're in the Sydney area I refer you to an expert on Gemmastas and he'll likely be able to add alignment channel to your dops plus sort out your laps, Id, re-machining etc. He's also very fair with pricing.

So let us know a bit more and we can move you forward.

AlanMc

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 01:30:37 PM »
Hi Dihusky,
               I have the transfer jig and the head to do the tables.  I am a member of the NBLC in Brisbane and also the Faceting Guild (only recently joined about 2 months ago).  I will most likely purchase a new machine at the end of this year.  I just could not wait the 6 months on delivery (really wanted to start faceting as quickly as possible and with all the stone was also a deciding factor).  All the machinery was purchased new at least 5-7 years ago.  It has sat unused for the last 5 years.  I have include 2 picture of some stones. and thanks for the response.

Dihusky

• ALF'er Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 06:04:42 PM »
Sent you a PM

FlashGP

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 08:57:16 PM »
Hi Alan,

Get in contact with Peter Stringfellow or Gary Gatfield when he is at NBLC and have a chst to either of them.  They can point you in the right direction.

See you at the February Motrton Bay Facetors Group meeting.

Regards
Gordon
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Labradorite rough by FlashGP
[Today at 12:05:12 AM]

Faceter by Faceting Frank
[March 31, 2020, 10:20:46 PM]

Lortone power useage by bassplum
[March 31, 2020, 04:27:32 PM]

Does anyone have "Cleopatra's Eye" facet design? by roughcreations
[March 31, 2020, 02:15:14 PM]

Buying a saw: comparison videos by Ghost
[March 31, 2020, 07:49:12 AM]

Fossils by Leabutterflies
[March 30, 2020, 12:09:13 PM]

Is this Septarian? Help please by Leabutterflies
[March 30, 2020, 12:08:45 PM]

Joke of the Day by pc bowe
[March 29, 2020, 07:51:47 AM]

Lapidary precautions during Coronavirus by Dihusky
[March 28, 2020, 01:16:25 PM]

Scarborough jewels by Rusted
[March 28, 2020, 09:55:21 AM]

Agate Creek Camp Ground closed from end of March till end of 2020 by Jimnyjerry
[March 27, 2020, 09:30:47 AM]

Concave cutting tools. by MakkyBrown
[March 27, 2020, 08:54:00 AM]

* Calendar

April 2020
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
[1] 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30

• - Holidays -
  • holiday April Fools
Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 67
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Find us on Facebook

* Forum Stats

• stats Total Members: 4238
  • stats Total Posts: 55532
  • stats Total Topics: 5930
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 27