collapse

Author Topic: Unknown Brand/Model of faceter  (Read 4609 times)

Ember Dee

• ALF'er Bronze Member
Unknown Brand/Model of faceter
« on: March 22, 2020, 03:43:56 PM »
I have been looking for a new pastime, and at Xmas decided to try my hand at Rock tumbling.  I have now become interested in the whole fossicking, polishing and cutting of rocks and gems.  My husband learnt of this old faceting machine available here in our home town of Bundy.  Curious to know if anyone has any idea of the origins of this machine. Brand/model so I might be able to track down some info on the best way to get started.  Also on the fossicking side of things, are there places around Bundy where we can try our hand at fossicking for rocks for tumbling or polishing.  Is the Amethyst site at Lowmead still open to the public.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
Re: Unknown Brand/Model of faceter
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 04:15:09 PM »
It looks like a very old Gemmaster.
I would recommend joining a local gem club and using one of theirs, also picking their brains on local fossicking sites.

Pro-oz

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 07:34:58 PM »
It's old but would get you started and see if faceting is for you. It should come with a set of dops if not I wouldn't bother.
Like Faceting Frank said, best to join a club and you will pick up so much more.

Cheers

Ember Dee

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 07:52:16 PM »
Thanks guys, Yes it has come with a set of dops, even a 45 degree dop, and a full range of laps.  I am sort of looking forward to the challenge of working out how to use it.  I have a piece of smokey quartz to play with once I have a bench to set it up on.  I have worked out most of the settings on it, still a little perplexed on how to lock the protractor side of it.  I haven't tried yet but I think perhaps a screwdriver can be used to set the gauge to zero.  I am hoping with some time and errors I can produce something that looks OK for my first attempt.  It should be fun trying anyways.

Pro-oz

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 08:03:47 PM »
Good on you, go for it give it a go! I can see it has a dial gauge fitted, I can see the index wheel , but can't see where you would read the protractor? but it must be there but hidden.
Good learning curve have fun.

Cheers
Prooz

Lowjiber

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 01:14:21 AM »
 beers I'm hardly an expert, but it looks to me like that lever just in front of the index gear would lock the protractor.

There is a very nice book by Tom Herbst that lays out faceting techniques in an easy-to-read style.  I don't know if Aussie Sapphire (forum sponsor) sells it, but here's the Amazon bookstore description of the book... link below.

I actually learned to facet several years ago by using that book and several on-line YouTube videos.

Here's the link...
https://smile.amazon.com/Amateur-Gemstone-Faceting-1-Essentials/dp/3000474749/ref=sr_1_1?ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-a0047-win10-dsk00-smile-us000-gatwy-feature-SEARC&dchild=1&keywords=faceting+books&qid=1584972366&sr=8-1

Happy Faceting,

John
I've traveled many roads, and some of them weren't paved.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 08:02:59 AM »
I think that the 0 to 90deg scale is missing and that is just the backing plate.

Anyway, don’t buy it it’s just a piece of junk. Your local club will most likely have one to use and members will probably know of a decent second hand one for sale.

Pro-oz

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 08:39:23 AM »
I think that the 0 to 90deg scale is missing and that is just the backing plate.

Anyway, don’t buy it it’s just a piece of junk. Your local club will most likely have one to use and members will probably know of a decent second hand one for sale.
I think she may have already bought it?

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 01:37:34 PM »
I didn’t see her other post.
You can get plastic protractors from the stationaries, so could cut it in half and glue it on.

Pro-oz

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 03:48:01 PM »
You can get plastic protractors from the stationaries, so could cut it in half and glue it on.

Good idea.

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 04:21:28 PM »
I am pretty sure that's an "Agatemaster"
Strange name for a faceting machine but that's what it is, there was a thread a year or so back with someone refurbishing one, I helped with info at the time because I had one, I don't any more.

I will have a look see if I can find the thread.

Also Aliexpress has nice accurate engineer protractors quite cheap, I'm not sure about getting stuff from China at the moment though.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 05:15:01 PM »

Good idea.
China is hit and miss. I have E-packet parcels that haven't even left the country after 1 month. Usually take 3week to deliver. Probably going to take 3 months.Look for the AU based/chinese ebay sellers that have some AU stock, then you also save gst.

Ember Dee

• ALF'er Bronze Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 10:31:32 AM »
Thanks for all the help.  I have tried to find images of agatemaster and older gemmaster machines or any info but as of yet no luck. I have checked out the older thread regarding the Agatemaster, thanks Rusted,  as this may come in handy down the track. The machine has some numbered dials that I am trying to figure out what they do, so some sort of manual would be handy.   I have worked out how to lock the protractor so that is a start.  I think the other 2 dials are for finer adjustments.  I will try to upload another pic of these with the hope that someone is familiar with them.  Unfortunately I can't figure out how to use gallery to insert into this reply, will need to do separately. Yeah I am tech challenged.  I have sourced the book of Tom Herbst, thanks Lowjiber, so hopefully that should be here in a couple of weeks. Once all the clubs are back up and running I will pay my local gem club a visit as I am sure they will have many knowledgeable members.

Hope the pic works
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:43:20 AM by Ember Dee »

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2020, 12:29:20 PM »
Those numbered dials are called cheaters, they allow you to do fine adjustments when you are cutting.
The dial in the photo gives you small adjustments on the index (geared wheel). It's not cheating at all, lots of things can mean you need a tiny adjustment.

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 16, 2024, 08:04:48 PM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Faceting Frank
[April 16, 2024, 01:58:18 PM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 14, 2024, 05:24:48 AM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations
[April 10, 2024, 06:17:37 PM]

The illusion of cubes by RoughCreations