collapse

Author Topic: Labradorite rough  (Read 924 times)

Faceting Frank

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Labradorite rough
« on: March 24, 2020, 01:38:59 PM »
Had two attempts to cut the Labradorite stone in this year’s annual comp. only to find tiny flaws and cracks in them when polishing the crown.
Even though I polished windows in the rough first to work out how to preform them.

I know it’s a hit and miss thing with natural rough, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a good supplier of Labradorite.

Rusted

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Labradorite rough
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 04:25:24 PM »
I don't know of any suppliers Frank but see if you can get hold of some Springsure Queensland Labradorite, I've cut a few pieces of that and it's a breeze to cut and very solid.

Faceting Frank

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:34:33 PM »
Thanks Rusted.
You can only see them through a 10x loupe, but they deduct 4 points for each flaw or crack. Possibly 4 points each, so no point in sending it in.

FlashGP

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 09:00:47 PM »
Hi Frank,

If you can't find a supply which doesn't have hairline cracks in it, you can always submit your stone expecting to lose the 4 marks.  You wull stil get feedback on your cutting skils, and you never know, you may still be better than the next entrant, who may have the same probem

I now regret not submitting my concave last year for similar reasons.

Check out the comp schedule, from emory it seeks to allow all types of felspar to overcome naming issues, such as labadorite, sunstone etc.

Regards
Gordon
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Faceting Frank

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:26:47 PM »
Hi Gordon,
I can see why you regret entering the concave section Gordon, only one entrant, Barry Chapman who obviously won it.
Hoping to get my budget-built contraption up and running in time to give him a run for his money this year. So, hope you enter as well.
In the rules they deduct 4 points for flaws and fractures. But they don’t stipulate as to what points are lost with multiple flaws and fractures. The more I polish the crown the more I find, so scrapped that stone.
I came 5th in last year’s four stone open comp with under 12 points behind the winner Ray Maunder. So dropping multiple 4 points with one stone is a none starter.

Frank.

FlashGP

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 09:06:48 AM »
Hi Frank,

Flaws are judged out of 4, so the most you can lose for flaws is 4 points. 

It stands to reason a judge will assess the severity and extent of the flaws and deduct points on a sliding scale. 

If the flaws are slight, you might get close to 4 out of 4 for this feature.  If the flaws are very obvious, you'll probably get a much lower score out of 4.

I submitted a natural blue O'Briens creek Topaz with tiny tubes in the cutlet that I could only see with my Belmo 10x loupe.  It scorred 4 for Flaws, meaning either the judge missed them, or didn't think they warranted deducting points for.

Regards
Gordon
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Faceting Frank

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 02:53:05 PM »
Got the shits with it Gordon, so pulled it off the dop.
Thanks for the email Paul, assuming my return personal message worked ok.
Regards,
Frank.

Dihusky

• ALF'er Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 02:08:45 PM »
I don't know about the Springshaw material but the Hogarth range material is often heavily included, I went through around 2 kgs and found nothing that was flawless. Selected some material worth working with commercially but I expect flaws in pretty much every finished stone.

I personally think it a poor material pick for a competition.

I find I have similar problems with Topaz, when cutting for last year's comp, inclusions started to appear so I gave up on the comp and finished the stone for commercial sale. Don't have time to cut endless stones to find a flawless one!

FlashGP

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 02:27:32 PM »
Hi guys,

We selected it to provide a bit of variety.  We were also aiming at rough that wasn't too expensive.  Having said that, we specified "Labadorite - all feldspars allowed, including Sunstone" in the comp schedule to accomodate overseas cutters and avoid issues with the naming of material.  And variations in chemical composition.

Don't forget what I said about the concave cut from last year's comp.  I regret not going back and perfecting the crown of the first one I cut.  Although Mrs Flash loves her 11mm "pink diamond" as it was dubbed in jest.

Regards
Gordon

Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Faceting Frank

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 08:21:54 PM »
11mm Gordon, that’s a big stone for a ring, must look very impressive.

I totally agree with that statement about Labradorite and Topaz for competition stones Dihusky.
I’ve scrapped a few Topaz stones in past comps because of faint inclusions I did not spot till nearly finished polishing and had to buy a new piece and recut the stone.
So far have scrapped two Labradorite stones in this year’s comp for cracks in them. Don’t actually know if the cracks were there all the time with the last one, or I was putting them in as I polished the crown.

So its frustrating with natural stones because of the possibility of flaws. Especially if you don’t get to fossick your own and have buy it all.
Hoping to have some kind member help me out with my current shortage of Labradorite.
Personally I think there would be a lot more entrants in the OZ annual comp, if they ditched natural stones.

Frank.

Dihusky

• ALF'er Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 01:23:03 PM »
Know where you're coming from Frank.

When I see the comp schedules including natural stone, I groan as I know full well that many people are going to have problems sourcing clean, inclusion free, rough or they're going to be cutting a bunch of stones then pick the cleanest for the entry. They could be a 100 cutter, but a veil or bubbles kills them!

What are the competitions all about, the stone or the skill? With the plethora of man made materials, I don't see any need for natural materials unless the penalties for inclusions that make natural materials so difficult are scrapped.

A competition is about cutting skill, design and/or altering designs to suit the material. Last years Topaz cut is a perfect example of this as the design was for Quartz and required altering to suit the Topaz Ri in order to get the best scintillation. This can also be done with synthesics, a design for quarts but the material has to be CZ or Nano for example. Now an additional skill is being tested, but more importantly the rough material is readily available and inclusions are off the table so to speak.

Virtually all natural material will have some sort of inclusion, from bubbles to veils, rutile, even sub crystals, so to those who set the comps, if you require natural material, DON'T penalise inclusions!

That's my 2 bobs worth, enough said.

Dihusky

• ALF'er Silver Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 05:08:15 PM »
I was just thinking about competitions in general as I've entered a variety over the years. My first was when I was 16 doing an apprenticeship with Leylands, it was a master machinist comp, all based on skill. One was supplied a block of steel and some drawings, the relevance is that everyone had the same material to work from.

We were judged on our skills and accuracy to complete the piece in the drawing. This made it a level playing field, when one is being judged on an element of Nature it can never be a level playing field.

Faceting Frank

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 10:16:35 PM »
I can understand the need to provide some variation in a four stone comp. Plus the fact that the open section is meant to be a challenge, which it is.
So, getting back to my original post on asking if anyone knows of a supplier of Labradorite.
Thanks,
Frank.

Rusted

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 07:44:35 AM »
Frank what is the design? I have a piece picked out but due to the cleavage of Feldspar it is a bit of a natural slab, so plenty wide enough but I am struggling to get anything with enough depth, around 6.5mm to 6.8mm depth is about it.

PM me you address and I will get it in the mail for you.

FlashGP

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 12:05:12 AM »
Hi Frank,

The 11mm stone was set in a pendant.  It looks great.

Regards
Gordon
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Tags:

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Gemmasta GFE3 Re-alignemet by Rusted
[Today at 10:21:33 AM]

Turtle shell three in the OZ comp. by Faceting Frank
[June 01, 2020, 09:09:26 PM]

Facet design wanted by MakkyBrown
[June 01, 2020, 08:31:03 PM]

Andrew Brown Prize -Australian Facetors Guild 2020 Annual Comp by MakkyBrown
[May 31, 2020, 08:52:41 AM]