collapse

Author Topic: Faceter  (Read 8777 times)

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Faceter
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2020, 06:48:36 AM »
That's coming along nicely.
Water supplies are usually some variation on the Tupperware jug theme, translucent plastic so you can see the water level.

Skipper_52

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2020, 08:02:32 AM »
I agree that would have been nice had I had one but I figured I would throw a wood disk in it with a dowel rod attached in the center . The dowel rod will project through the lid so when the water drops the dowel drops giving me a visual.

Ghost

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2020, 09:19:33 AM »
Two bits of dowel, one inside and one outside, tied together with a bit of string.
Less likely to jam and stop reading.
Don't you just like old style technology?
Regards
Ghost

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2020, 11:11:10 AM »
Like I said in the beginning I am a novice so if I screw up on the terminology please correct me. I believe this is called a angle dop? Any way.. I got the 6mm D shafts yesterday. Pieces printed on 3d printers are close to accurate but occasionally need fine tuning. I printed this block and got lucky with the fit.
Looking good. With your 45degree block/dop. Will the shaft slide into the collet more as I'd use it with a shorter shaft to reduce flex. The 3d printed bit is nice and chunky which will also help. If you haven't I'd consider roughing up the shaft and glue to the plastic aswell as using the grub screw.  Depending on how you polish tables there can be quite a bit of horizontal force generated.
CheersMb

Skipper_52

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2020, 01:34:21 PM »
The collett dop shaft will be shortened. It is way too long right now.

Faceting Frank

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er Platinum
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2020, 02:35:02 PM »
Those digital angle blocks your using to set the facet angle are great. Even the cheap ones from the hardware are accurate to 0.2deg. Never used anything else for years.

Before putting the dopped stone in the 45deg dop, wipe an ink marker over the bottom surface of the 45deg dop and wipe it over a stationary lap.
Setting your hard stop against that when you have it right.

Skipper_52

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2020, 07:31:19 AM »
Look before you leap. I just saw a Graves attachment which basically is what I've designed. Duh. Anyway mine has the motor attachment too along with the different shape templates. I'll start posting pictures tomorrow. Like I said in the previous post, all parts that aren't metal are 3d printed. It took some time to print the carriage assemblies over 40 hours but the cost was minimal. Less than $20.00. The templates are only limited by your imagination.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2020, 08:33:59 AM »
I think what you've designed is a preformer. Quite a few faceting machine manufactures have made them. I plan to make one(similar to the gemmasta one and motorized as well. I plan to make design specific indexes. I'll be very interested in seeing your design :)
Cheers
MB

Skipper_52

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2020, 09:59:49 AM »
I'm running the motor now. I still have to finish printing the base (7 hrs). Can you send a video here?

Ghost

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2020, 10:12:21 AM »
Hi MakkyBrown,
"The American Facetor" faceting machine came supplied with plastic preforming templates.
It also came with several design specific brass index gears, which had only some of the index teeth cut depending on the intended design.
Would make selecting the wrong index less likely.
Is this what you intend?
Regards,   Ghost.

Skipper_52

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2020, 11:43:35 AM »
This isn't for faceting a gem but for shaping cabochon on the faceter wheel. Once you see the design you'll understand. All smooth rounds shapes can use the motor and be automatic. Anything with one or more flat faces can't use the motor because it becomes a spirograph of sorts. You will just lift the arm, spin to the next flat and drop the arm again. I'm sending an image of the cad model so you can kind of get a feeling before I send images of the finished prototype. If you have a 3d printer you can build this thing for under $100.00 U.S. with the motor. There is no need to change any index gears. The only gears are 1 to 1 on the drive motor. Rotation speed is controlled by a digital 12vdc speed controller. Gear motors can be bought from Sevocity.com and are available in configurations from .5 rpm to 950 or so. The slower the speed the more torque they have due to the fact they all have the same motor attached to the gear end. These images do not show nuts and bolts but the main 'machine' . All templates are designed within a 2" square. The stone template shaft (of mine) is 1" over the faceter grinding wheel. The cabochon can be scale by lowering (smaller) and raising (larger) the sliding mounts. There may be a slight bevel to some of the edges due to the lift of the dop rod by the template but these have to be rounded anyway when you do the dome grinding. Comments and advice are always welcome.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:46:11 AM by Skipper_52 »

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2020, 03:37:07 PM »
Hi MakkyBrown,
"The American Facetor" faceting machine came supplied with plastic preforming templates.
It also came with several design specific brass index gears, which had only some of the index teeth cut depending on the intended design.
Would make selecting the wrong index less likely.
Is this what you intend?
Regards,   Ghost.
I was just going to base it roughly on the gemmasta preformer and cut custom aluminium cams. I've thought about design specific indexes as well then you can have the indexes at any angle and not limited to a tooth count.
ThanksMB

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »
This isn't for faceting a gem but for shaping cabochon on the faceter wheel. Once you see the design you'll understand. All smooth rounds shapes can use the motor and be automatic. Anything with one or more flat faces can't use the motor because it becomes a spirograph of sorts. You will just lift the arm, spin to the next flat and drop the arm again. I'm sending an image of the cad model so you can kind of get a feeling before I send images of the finished prototype. If you have a 3d printer you can build this thing for under $100.00 U.S. with the motor. There is no need to change any index gears. The only gears are 1 to 1 on the drive motor. Rotation speed is controlled by a digital 12vdc speed controller. Gear motors can be bought from Sevocity.com and are available in configurations from .5 rpm to 950 or so. The slower the speed the more torque they have due to the fact they all have the same motor attached to the gear end. These images do not show nuts and bolts but the main 'machine' . All templates are designed within a 2" square. The stone template shaft (of mine) is 1" over the faceter grinding wheel. The cabochon can be scale by lowering (smaller) and raising (larger) the sliding mounts. There may be a slight bevel to some of the edges due to the lift of the dop rod by the template but these have to be rounded anyway when you do the dome grinding. Comments and advice are always welcome.
I'm really looking forward to seeing your machine Skipper.CheersMB

Skipper_52

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2020, 09:40:39 PM »
Can you post videos here?

Skipper_52

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2020, 08:46:23 PM »
KISS. (keep it simpler stupid) has occurred. I'm leaning towards Concept 1. They both work. Concept 2 will throw a unwanted angle to the edge of the cabochon. Concept 1 will need a balance rod attached/designed into it to adjust the pressure against the stone. The bearing mount that the template rides on in Concept 1 has to be re-designed. I've got the idea in my head but haven't designed it yet. The bearing should be mounted in a adjustable (sliding) mount which will make the scale adjustment  way easier than shown. I would sure like your opinions and ideas to put this baby to bed. Ideally this mount could be converted on a sliding rod mount that could be attached to your cabochon machine, allowing you to move from stone to stone. Thanks.

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker