collapse

Author Topic: So what is everyone doing in lapidary till the corona virus pandemic passes  (Read 7683 times)

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
Yes very like the second one, the three lobes have sparkly moving fringes.
Have you played with girdle width in software? I was surprised how much input that has in the performance of the finished stone. You look at girdle facets and think they don't do anything apart from mark a boundary between pavilion and crown, they have a big effect.
I have played with girdle heights a bit. It effects some designs more than others, from memory(happy to be corrected) a lot of odd symmetry designs like my fusion designs it won't make that big a difference. But, now you mention it :) , and given how easy it is to test I may get into the habit of checking each design I do.
CheersMB

Giel

• ALF'er Silver Member
Unfortunately I am not cutting any stones during this quarantine....
I have been at home for five weeks now, but I am still waiting for delivery of my polishing laps.
It is very busy at the dutch post service at the moment.  :(

My new machine arrived seven weeks ago, but there were problems with the motor controller took me a while to fix that.
Calibrated the platen and rest of the machine as best as I could and started cutting, only to find out that my polishing laps were not flat.
Send them of to be resurfaced, now I get a message from the dutch post service that the delivery is delayed for a few days.....

So I am spending my time finishing a new workbench. (almost done, paint is drying)
Changing the splashpan on my machine, and printing out faceting diagrams.
And I am going through my "old" rough again to try to find some clean parts in them.
All is set to go, just need a polishing lap.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
Unfortunately I am not cutting any stones during this quarantine....
I have been at home for five weeks now, but I am still waiting for delivery of my polishing laps.
It is very busy at the dutch post service at the moment.  :(

My new machine arrived seven weeks ago, but there were problems with the motor controller took me a while to fix that.
Calibrated the platen and rest of the machine as best as I could and started cutting, only to find out that my polishing laps were not flat.
Send them of to be resurfaced, now I get a message from the dutch post service that the delivery is delayed for a few days.....

So I am spending my time finishing a new workbench. (almost done, paint is drying)
Changing the splashpan on my machine, and printing out faceting diagrams.
And I am going through my "old" rough again to try to find some clean parts in them.
All is set to go, just need a polishing lap.
Perfect time to finish the concave machine, I'm having a go at mine tomorrow :)

FlashGP

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Hi Makky,

Once you finish your concave machine, youstart thinking up modifications.

I have recently purchased a digital depth guage for a lathe, which I am going to install on the lateral adjustment so I can fibe tune it in 0.01mm increments. 

It'll also allow me to cut parrallel facets on rectangular stones and return to the same point, as well as adjust facets on oval stones.  The oval shape creates an offset on the facet, but I'll also need to add a protractor and angle the cutter a little to make the concave facet run down the same line as the diagram.

Then there's the regrinding of the colletts and collet chuck to improve concentricity and reduce runout.

I have bought another axtension collet and brass bearing for attemot 4 at a belt driven cutter.  The brass bearing runs a lot quieter and truer than pillow block bearings, and I hope it will also help with concentricity.

Anyway,  am getting used to working from home so all this has taken a back seat to work and dealing with the influx of emails.  Because we are all working from home, even getting a payment made from trust involves me receiving 5 or 6 emails.  Am receiving between 100 and 200 emails a day.

Regards
Flash
Yours Sincerely
Flash (Gordon)

Giel

• ALF'er Silver Member
Perfect time to finish the concave machine, I'm having a go at mine tomorrow :)

Yes, the only thing is that I need someone with a cnc (for the base plates)  which is a bit difficult in this corona situation.
I also need a bit of machinist advice on several things.
The holes in the base plate; do I drill the holes to mount the shaft support exactly and thread them?
Or do I drill them a bit bigger so I can always adjust and calibrate the whole thing?

I just finished the workbench and attatched everything to the wall.
I will post a photo later.
I had already expected the polishing laps, normally they would be delivered in one or two days.
apparently dutch post service is totally overloaded at the moment.

Once you finish your concave machine, youstart thinking up modifications.

I have recently purchased a digital depth guage for a lathe, which I am going to install on the lateral adjustment so I can fibe tune it in 0.01mm increments.

It'll also allow me to cut parrallel facets on rectangular stones and return to the same point, as well as adjust facets on oval stones.  The oval shape creates an offset on the facet, but I'll also need to add a protractor and angle the cutter a little to make the concave facet run down the same line as the diagram.

I am making something that is basically a "cross table" which can pivot 90 degrees both ways, the pivot point is exactly under the middle of the cutting mandrel. Pivot point can be locked in any position and has a digital protractor under the base plate.
The cross table can swivel in both dirrections, or you can disengage the swivel action and use it with a set screw to position it and lock it down in that position. Both directions have a digital depth gauge to know the exact position

I finished the control box a while ago, and have all the components ready, exept for a few things.
- 4 "base plates have to be made with cnc.
- the pivot point has to be made with a lathe. (delrin bushing that needs exact holes to mount the digital protractor.)
- I have to find some decent (and affordable) inch sized collets which is difficult where I am.
  The chinese ebay collets are I got are horrible....

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
If you cnc'ing it drill them exact imo. Base plate 4" doesn't sound huge send me the dimension I am unsure if I have some material to cut them for you from but I'll look. A lot of the 12mm stock I have has a slight bend in it.MB

harryopal

• ALF'er Gold Member
tinker "Im cleaning up about two 40 litre buckets of Boulder Opal, I've had for 20 years and didn't realise how good the pieces are, my trip saw and wheels are a mess, but the Boulder is beautiful.   Next will be my opal from Lightning Ridge, if my fingernails can hack it."

Good afternoon, I tried to PM you but not sure if you got the message.

I am now retired in Indonesia with just a few bits of boulder opal left. Might you be interested in making up a package of about $500 worth of material, photographing it and sending me pics? If you could put a 20 cent piece in each pic as size reference would be helpful. I have brought my multi wheel poisher with me but not a saw so preferably no big chunks. I have a son lives in Adelaide to whom stuff might be forwarded and payment either by Paypal or a bank transfer if we agree on a package. My email address is harryopal7@gmail.com

Thanks in anticipation of your response.
harryopal

gemfinder

I am new to Lapidary and just started my research.  I just ordered https://www.booktopia.com.au/gemstones-in-victoria-bill-birch/book/9781921833069.html I also setup my tumbler today.

Jimnyjerry

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
  • balts pingvins
Welcome to ALF gemfinder.  You will find a lot of information on here  :)  beers Jerry

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Welcome gemfinder.
That is a great book. It lists most occurrences of gems around Victoria so some of them are a bit sketchy, for example a diamond turning up in the sluice of a gold dredge at Eldorado churning through millions of tons of gravel doesn't mean you are going to find one. You might, or you might not, but you are going to have a great time and probably find some really nice pieces of Smokey Quartz and Agate as consolation prizes. Have fun.

gemfinder

That's pretty much it, I thought it might be fun to get out with my 2 boys and look around collect some stones and then put them in the tumbler.

Giel

• ALF'er Silver Member
If you cnc'ing it drill them exact imo. Base plate 4" doesn't sound huge send me the dimension I am unsure if I have some material to cut them for you from but I'll look. A lot of the 12mm stock I have has a slight bend in it.MB

No I need 4 plates, not a 4 inch plate.... ;)
Shipping would be very expensive you make it for me, and it would take ages to arrive at the moment.
(have been waiting for Anthony's laps for over 2 weeks now, tracking site says it has been on the airplane for over 10 days now)

My polish laps were delivered yesterday.  beers
I have measured the laps again, 0,04 max height difference on the darkside, 0,03 on the diamatrix and 0,02 on the batt lap.
The laps are running very smooth now, the surface finish is excelent!
I have polished a quartz stone with cerium on the darkside, took me a while to get the amounts right but it worked well. (oxide, water and lap speed)
Will do the crown today.

Rusted

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
I cleaned out my rock cupboard today, found an ancient American magazine with a facet diagram in it. I tried test cutting it on the  computer and it was just impossible with the angles on the diagram, I spent a while playing with angles and cutting sequence but it just wasn't worth it. I don't know how facetors stayed sane back then. They must have been constantly tearing their hair out trying to make things work.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
I cleaned out my rock cupboard today, found an ancient American magazine with a facet diagram in it. I tried test cutting it on the  computer and it was just impossible with the angles on the diagram, I spent a while playing with angles and cutting sequence but it just wasn't worth it. I don't know how facetors stayed sane back then. They must have been constantly tearing their hair out trying to make things work.
Send me it a I'll get it going for you if you want :)MB

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP

No I need 4 plates, not a 4 inch plate.... ;)
Shipping would be very expensive you make it for me, and it would take ages to arrive at the moment.
(have been waiting for Anthony's laps for over 2 weeks now, tracking site says it has been on the airplane for over 10 days now)

My polish laps were delivered yesterday.  beers
I have measured the laps again, 0,04 max height difference on the darkside, 0,03 on the diamatrix and 0,02 on the batt lap.
The laps are running very smooth now, the surface finish is excelent!
I have polished a quartz stone with cerium on the darkside, took me a while to get the amounts right but it worked well. (oxide, water and lap speed)
Will do the crown today.
Awesome great to hear you are underway cutting  beers

Recent Activities

Faceting machine head assembly. by Faceting Frank
[April 17, 2024, 12:26:26 PM]

New mast and quill assembly by Rusted
[April 17, 2024, 10:06:30 AM]

Save the Gemfields. by pc bowe
[April 17, 2024, 04:41:41 AM]

Victorian Copper Minerals by Manficat
[April 16, 2024, 03:44:27 PM]

Fitting a facet design to a piece of rough by RoughCreations