collapse

Author Topic: Perception Eye Design  (Read 3475 times)

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
    • Andrew Brown Faceting Designs
Perception Eye Design
« on: April 23, 2020, 10:50:31 AM »
Hi all,
My new eye design 'Perception' is available to download in the free designs section on my webpage. Remember when cutting, it will darken rough so I recommend cutting in lightly saturate materials especially at lower RI. I cut this in spinel and in my opinion the material was slightly too dark for the design and the finished stone would look far more impressive in lighter material. I am really hopeful it should be really nice in clear topaz and pretty awesome in something like clear cz. Many of you will be tempted but imo it is not suited for quartz.
Download at   https://facetingdesigns.com/

I hope everyone enjoys it, it is the result of quite a bit work :)
CheersMB

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:21:49 PM by MakkyBrown »

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
Re: Perception Eye Design
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 10:56:03 AM »
What a great looking design. Could you edit your post so there's a space between the / and I as it won't work as it it. Can't wait to have a go at it and thanks for sharing the design. I have your books on my present list for others to take note of.
Common sense isn't exactly common

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 11:00:30 AM »
Hi Bucket, Thanks I just noticed that aswell. It happened the other day to me also, there must be some sort of bug in the forum. I have edited it, does it work for you now?
CheersMB

Pro-oz

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 11:30:26 AM »
Works for me. Thanks MB

Giel

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 02:45:19 PM »
That's an awesome stone! and a great design.

Do you need a machine where you can adjust the angle to the exact hundreth of a degree?
Or is it also possible with angles to the tenth of a degree and a bit of eyeballing and guestimation?

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 03:14:58 PM »
Hi Giel,
With most of my designs if your within 0.05 really good, ok at 0.1 most of the time. Just adjust on pre-polish/polish where needed. Far more important is cutting each tier to the same depth accurately, it doesn't matter if that depth is a small amount out. With this design try and get the P1 angles with in 0.05 as they will do a lot of the pattern generation.  Cutting it topaz, try and be as close as you can but the design will become more forgiving as RI increase.My encoder has 0.018 degree steps, so I am out up to 0.02 of a degree on every tier but those steps are exact so i cut to them.On this designs, I think the important facet tiers to try and get right are P1, C2, C8, the rest adjust if needed to fit.
Hope that makes sense.
CheerMB
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 03:17:27 PM by MakkyBrown »

scratchie

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 03:32:54 PM »
Andrew,
I'm half way through cutting the crown on Bob Keller's Cleopatra's Eye - have had a problem because it was a large piece of CZ and there has been  a slight mis=alignment in the transfer so I am having to make adjustments on the fly .
Your version looks as if it will simplify the cutting so will try yours when I can get my hands on another large piece of CZ . After all a pattern like this really screams for a knocker of a stone !
John

Giel

• ALF'er Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 06:01:35 PM »
With most of my designs if your within 0.05 really good, ok at 0.1 most of the time

I can do that with my machine, I have the 0,1 readout and I can guestimate the 0,05 using the dial indicator.
I would like to change the digital sytem one day to a 0,01 readout.
I have been reading your post about the digital readout on your machine, but I dont really know enough about electronics and programming to do it myself.

I dont think I am ready yet for cutting such a design.
I will have to practice some simple stuff first as I have to get to know the new machine and it has been a while since I have been faceting.
But i know it wont be long before I try to cut it.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 08:26:30 PM »
Yep all good now mate. Thought I'd sit down today and start a couple of stones I've had waiting for a while. Got through nearing the end of the pavilion, stone popped of the dop!  It's been sitting on the dop for a while, but let's face it, it does sometimes happen! Have re-doped and hopefully won't need to do to much adjustment to redo it. While waiting for the adhesive to set, started another very small garnet. I've been trying a few to see just how small I can go. This should be around 3 mm. Again, got through to near the end of the pavilion and I dropped the quill and of course, stone hit the lap and came off! Not really having a good day. I'll get over it.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 11:30:54 PM »
We all have our days bucket.
I've found cleaning with clean acetone and not acetone I've been soaking dop in helps. Plus letting the epoxy dry properly. I now bake my transfer jig in the oven at 50 degrees for about 15minutes to cure the epoxy(I find dextone is best). Never had a stone come off since i started doing this. The super glue on the other hand if not cured properly the water sometimes seems to get into the bond between the dop and stone and they can come off. So I use the biggest diameter dop I have to suit the stone.Cheers
MB

Dihusky

• ALF'er Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 03:22:50 PM »
Superglue is water soluble, or certainly many versions are. I used to work for Loctite years ago and it was well known that cyanoacrylates are water soluble, albeit over time. In the initial stages moisture triggers the bond which is why fingers stick together, but the bond breaks down. It also has tensile strength but low peel strength, this is illustrated by how you part stuck fingers with a rolling pencil separating the bond.

Bucket

• Global Moderator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 05:35:15 PM »
I'm surprised you've got an oven that goes down to 50 degrees Andrew, I just looked at ours and around 80 degrees is as low as I can get it. This particular stone had been on the dob for a few months, so curing wasn't the problem, the little garnet is now sitting with my other 'might get back to one day' pile. The larger stone (lab made blue material) has cut very nicely without too much of a problem as I was able to re-align it pretty well.

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 07:56:10 PM »
If the oven has a rotary thermostat control, just guess it, but digital no chance :) Mine has the first marking at 50 but I have used it at 30-40 degree ranges to cure other things/ paint/glues before.CheersMB

MakkyBrown

• Administrator
  • ALF'er VIP
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 08:12:44 PM »
Superglue is water soluble, or certainly many versions are. I used to work for Loctite years ago and it was well known that cyanoacrylates are water soluble, albeit over time. In the initial stages moisture triggers the bond which is why fingers stick together, but the bond breaks down. It also has tensile strength but low peel strength, this is illustrated by how you part stuck fingers with a rolling pencil separating the bond.
It must be just soluble enough when not cured for the water to slowly creep into joint in the time frame it's wet for. If I dop up and don't wait and rough in on a pretty wet lap that is the cause of the problems if I let it dry for say 15 minutes all good. Maybe repositioning the stone a few time also makes it more likely to happen. Didn't happen that often but gee annoying when it does especially when polishing.

Recent Activities

Nundle - Fossicking Access to the Peel River by opal light
[Today at 10:07:16 AM]

Blue Hills quarry and Sapphire bend access at Oberon by opal light
[Today at 09:46:26 AM]

Armidale to Tenterfield by Bucket
[March 28, 2024, 02:40:56 PM]

Recently cut gems (AB Facet Designs) by mehoose
[March 28, 2024, 01:41:37 AM]

New mast and quill assembly by RoughCreations
[March 27, 2024, 08:46:05 AM]

Lapidary Industry Turmoil in the USA by tinker