collapse

Author Topic: Emerald step cut problems  (Read 235 times)

mobbsygem

• View Profile
Emerald step cut problems
« on: September 08, 2020, 08:14:06 AM »
Hi everybody, I am new to faceting and trying to do a Emerald step cut, but I am having problems understanding how to keep the stone rectangle, my stone is to one side of the dopstick, if I keep cutting I think it become square, and if I use the micro metre to keep it rectangle will that throw out the rest of the facets, I am using a VJ, thank you

Bucket

• ALF'er VIP
    • View Profile
Re: Emerald step cut problems
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 09:18:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum, mobbsygem. You have to adjust the height of the quill to obtain your rectangle. You're right if you just keep following the pattern, you will end up with a square. Normally you will find in the pattern a suggested L/W ratio, you can only obtain this by readjusting your quill height. Are you a member of a lapidary club? If so you should seek instruction from a facetor (if there are any) there, they'll help out.
Common sense isn't exactly common

Rusted

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 10:44:03 AM »
Which design are you cutting? For a first stone you can't go past Easy Emerald  by Jeff Graham. Basically what he does is cut the long sides and short sides first, then after the long sides and short sides line up around the stone and meet at the corners cut in the corner facets.

Notice I said long sides and short sides, these are separate cuts. So cut in the first row of facets on your long sides, then wind the height up and cut in the first row of facets on your short sides. Then just do the same for the next tier, don't forget that you need to wind your height down to cut the long side and back up for the next tier on the short side. You could just as easily cut all tiers on the long sides then adjust your height and cut all the short side tiers. Then cut in your corner facets. Use a fine grit to cut the corners as they are small and cut fast.

I hope I have answered what you are asking. Any questions ask away, it's an easy cut but also difficult  because there aren't a lot of meet points, easy to go astray if you aren't experienced.

scratchie

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 12:03:53 PM »
Mobbysgem,
A cardinal rule that you must never forget.
Every time you change the angle OR the index you MUST lower the master lap (on the VJ) and then after changing angle or index you raise the master lap again until it just touches the stone and then start cutting. For machines with a mast you must always raise the mast , make your changes and then lower the mast until the stone touches the lap .
Good luck - you'll learn to love the VJ
John

Ghost

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 01:48:56 PM »
If the stone is located to one side of the dop, then not only will you have to adjust the mast height for the long and short sides of the rectangle cut, but also raise and lower the mast to compensate for the long and short ends cause by the non-centred dopping.
Using the micro adjustment for height adjustment will not prevent a rectangle.
Having said all that, an off-centre dopping of a rectanglar step cut is not an easy early stone for a new facetor.
Regards,
Ghost.

Rusted

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 04:36:33 PM »
I'm glad you read it that way too ghost, I read it that way and thought nah, couldn't be, maybe it is. We will wait to hear back from the OP

Faceting Frank

• ALF'er Gold Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 04:41:47 PM »
Hi mobbsygem.
I would redop the stone and put it back on centrally. Not familiar with the VJ dops, whether they have a pin or a flat spot to align with the 96 index. I would guess the cutting instructions for a rectangular emerald cut will have the 96 index on one of the long sides, so the stone will be dopped to suit.

Navneetgems

• ALF'er Bronze Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 06:14:56 PM »
f you have rough material in emerald lying around and you are thinking to get it cut and polished, you need to watch this video. It will show how to preform, cut and polish emeralds – they are very tricky to do so because of the softness of the stone. They say if you can polish emeralds, you can polish any gemstone.

Step 1: Preforming
Step 2: Re-Preforming
Step 3: Faceting
Step 4: Polishing

If you are new to faceting, this video will talk to you about preforming, cutting and polishing from all points of views. Before I forget, please click the subscribe button to not miss any videos from us in the future about emeralds or faceting gemstone in a lapidary.

Check out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZHQXx79-9I&t=208s

Ghost

• ALF'er Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 07:56:55 PM »
Thanks Rusted.

It is possible to cut an off-centre emerald step, just a bit difficult.
I had one end of a step cut chip once while cutting, and in order to save material, I recut (shortened) the chipped end, but not the other end.
Adjusting height after every facet!!!   No a pleasant time faceting!

Faceting Frank.

The VJ dops that I've seen have a tapered 'beaver tail' end that fits under a bar in the hand-pieces and transfer jigs to facilitate transfer alignment.
Not sure if this is true for all VJ models.

Regards,
Ghost.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 08:00:16 PM by Ghost »

* Sponsor

HTML Online Editor Sample

ALF is hosted by Aussie Sapphire as a free service to the Lapidary community.

Visit our website here
Phone 1800 50 21 40
Or find us on Facebook

Recent Activities

Home made composite laps by FlashGP
[October 22, 2020, 06:51:00 PM]

US Facetors Guild annual competition by FlashGP
[October 22, 2020, 09:06:34 AM]

Faceting vs Lawn Bowling by Moth
[October 21, 2020, 05:54:55 PM]

Polishing Black Onyx by Dihusky
[October 21, 2020, 04:25:19 PM]